Egine noisier at 5000 OCI

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Idok
Car: 2007 Altima 2.5 S/2008 2.5 coupe

Has any one noticed an increase in engine noise as the oil approaches 5000 miles of driving ? I have noticed my 2.5 gets a little noisier at about 4500 miles on the oil. After I change th oil it goes back to normal. The oil filter brand makes no difference (Nissan, Napa Gold, Purolataor) and the oil brand makes no differeence (Nissan, M1, Royal Purple, Penzoil Platinum). The oil remains very clean, performance is unchanged. My UOA's have come back with great readings with plenty off the additive package still intact.

Gene-E
Car: Altima 08

I change my oil at 3k. I'm just really picky with oil. But i have noticed that. The older the oil the harsher the engine runs in general. Thats basically true with any car though.

compyelc4
Car: Nissan Altima 2.5

Yes, I have noticed this too! I thought I was nuts. Maybe we both are. I've had a funny engine noise on even a cold or hot start for several months. It sounds like a 1-2 second timing chain chatter; kinda like when your chain would rub on your chain guard....remember that noise? The chatter will typically start at about 3K mi. after an oil change and will disappear after the next oil change at about 5K mi. Now, after a couple of trips to my dealer, he has finally admitted that he acknowledges there is a problem with the variable valve timing sprocket and has ordered a replacement, under warranty.

Idok
Car: 2007 Altima 2.5 S/2008 2.5 coupe

Still having the same noise but the car now has almost 45,000 on it. The noise still calms down after oil change but then gets noisier as the miles build up. Please post if the repair by the dealer fixes the problem. I would like to convince my dealer to fix this.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”