EGI?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
kat.240.s13
Car: 92 240sx

I posted awhile back that i was having idling/bogging issues with my 92 240sx ka24det. The problem went away for a week or so and now its back. The car will do ok when cold but when it gets warmed up and if you get on it all, it starts the problem again. It will idle fine, then drop to around 6 or 7 hundred, stumble 15 or so second then rev up and repeat. It dosent do this all the time but when i notice this problem is when i have the bogging issue. Ive checked the plugs, wires, cap, button, and also done the ohm check on my tps. Also, I have ran seafoam throug the iacv and cleaned the mafs. This morning while the car was idling, it srtarted to stumble and for some reason i pulled out the relay that was for EGI. When doing this, the car idled fine. I plugged it back in and the car started to stumble again. Then I pulled it out and it ran fine. I even drove it with the EGI relay out and it drove great. No bog. Can anyone tell me what the EGI relay does and what my problem could be? I know the EGI PUMP relay is the fuel pump, but what is the EGI relay for?

BigDAT

EGI relay is the power supply relay to the ECU.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

The EGI relay turns on the fuel pump when the car starts and shuts it off in an accident or if the keys are just inserted into the ignition etc. Sounds like your fuel pump is hotwired.

kat.240.s13

Ok thanks. That still shouldn't cause my idle problem because if it wasn't gettng fuel it simply wouldn't run. Today the idle was bouncing up and down real crazy, then would kinda straighten out, then start dropping and revvng up again which leads me to believe it's the tps. When I ohmed checked it with the throttle closed it would read 8.4 and fully open was 2.2. I've searched how to check the tps, but I really don't understand how to properly do it. Does these readings sound right, or would a voltage check be a better way to check it.

WDRacing

Check the voltage, not the ohms. The ohm check is to make sure the wiring is good. The voltage should read something like .5 to 5 volts from closed to WOT. The FSM has the numbers. I haven't messed with mine, but have on other cars. I learned the hard way by adjusting things without knowing what they did. Adjusting by sound and feel only gets you so far...lol.

As far as the fuel issue goes. Try hot wiring the fuel pump anyway, there is a how-to in the FAQ. At the very least you'll get more voltage at the pump. Also, if the fuel pump isn't getting all of the voltage, or an intermittent ground, it will work, just not well. I used to think fuel pumps were on or off to, that's not correct. There are a whole bunch of options that can go wrong between and on and off...lol.

Have a fuel pressure gauge by chance?

kat.240.s13

No I don't have a fuel pressure Gage but I will pick one up. I'll try a voltage check on the tps today. There's is a video on YouTube called " Crazy ka idle" that shows what I mean when I say the idle drops. I would have put the link in the post but I do all my computing from my iPhone lol. Also, the car does it more often when it's warm and has been driven.

WDRacing

Hmm, have you swapped out the O2 sensor?

kat.240.s13

No I haven't tried that yet. It's not a year old yet but that still don't mean that it's not bad. I done a volt check and I got 1.8 volts to the plug.

WDRacing

The thing with intermittent problems is that they can be caused by literally anything. I chased a wiring issue on a H-60 Pave Hawk for over a month because we couldn't duplicate the damn problem unless it was in a hover for an extended amount of time. Do know how F'n boring it is just sitting there waiting for something to happen? The awesomeness of flying gets old real quick listening to pilots carry on about how cool they are. Ended up being some minor corrosion on a ground group that wasn't even in the same system. But because of the voltage change between the wiring in this one little spot we'd get a caution light on the HUD. No actual problem, but a light none the less.

WD

kat.240.s13

Thanks for the help bro. Yea. It could be anything. The car set for two years. I couldn't get spark. I changed the dist., ecu, coil, and several other things before I found out that the genius I got it from had spliced a wire into to coil wire to put a flame thrower kit on it. But I'm bad to look over stuff and now that you mentioned an O2 sensor I notice my air/fuel Gage is not working properly.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”