ECU RESET

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
Sarcanglk
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe

I just installed my intake and i was reading about reseting the ECU. There is the method of pedal pushing:

1. Turn ignition switch on and wait about 3 seconds.

Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking. (here is where i think you can get a code from this.)4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)5. Wait about 10 second.6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

There is also the way of disconnecting the battery's +.

Which one is the best way to reset the ECU?

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Whered u pull this from?Also... this is saying i should start the engine? or just "on"...

I assume its "on" because i cant imagine flooring the car in park for more than 10 seconds... just doesnt sound good..

Sarcanglk

I found it on NICO search lol. I think it was for the Maxima's tho. And my guess is that the car's engine should not be started but just at the "on" position.

AltimaJoe
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S Premium Package

My boss had a rental Altima after he wrecked his Acura. He floored it in the parking lot and kept his foot down just to see what would happen and it revs up to just under red line and stays there. It sounds pretty rough but it's not at red line, so I don't imagine it would hurt the car.

Having said that, I know I wouldn't do that to MY Altima, but a rental? Why not? Probably means just turn the car on without starting it.

LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

That was definitely the correct way to reset the ECU for my 2003 Z and the 2005 Titan...after much discussion in other forums it was found that removing the battery + or - or both will not completely reset ECU. I have never and I am sure you can't flood the vehicle and I have repeated the procedure numerous times in a row because of missed timing.

Now realize this IS NOT WITH THE CAR ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those cars had keys not push button, on is after ACC on those!!!! and it was picky, you had to have NOTHING (radio, heat, fan a/c, etc. then perform the procedure...

I recommend this be done after a mod and anytime your car feels a little sluggish, after winter driving etc, it may give you back that little punch you remember like running at perfect conditions.

ECU Resetting Procedures

The Easy Method:

After experimenting with different timing, and reading posts by other members, I've come up with a condensed method of doing this reset. This method works EVERY time, even w/o a stopwatch. I've used this method successfully a dozen times, or so, now w/o a watch. After a few times, you won't need a watch or instructions. You'll get so darn good at it, you'll find yourself doing it while waiting at a traffic light.

Timing is not as critical with this method...no stop watch needed. Just count in your head...one-one thousand, two-one thounsand, etc, or use stop watch. The most critical step is step #3....wait 10 sec, instead of 7.

1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal5. Count to 10, depress pedal6. Count to 10, release pedal.7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!

cuzzbubba420
Car: 08 Altima 2.5 S w/ CVT

I think unplugging the battery and re-plugging sounds a lot easier.. I would never go through that process when i can just un-plug and re-plug..

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Hah... open the hood? get my hands dirty? why? it cant be simpler than pressing pedals!

LinkNuc

We have seen that this will not reset your driving habits learned by ECU A/F etc...only a Consult or the pedal push will completely reset the ECU...

There is some arguement that 24 or 48 hours unplugged will reset everything, i dunno its flash memory so I don't see how it would work.

Sarcanglk

I've done the pedal approach. I think it worked but how do i know for sure?

LinkNuc

Throughout the procedure the CEL light (SES) whatever should begin to blink faster and when it is finished it should be blinking fastest that's about all I can tell you, it starts off slow gets a little faster then a little faster then you're done...

I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight to see if it even works on the push button A/C like I said it has been the same ECU reset since 2003 with my Z but that was a key ignition.

stsxcrle

LongBeachCoupe wrote:Whered u pull this from? I assume its "on" because i cant imagine flooring the car in park for more than 10 seconds... just doesnt sound good..

Haha, I love the clarification on this. Legit question, just made me laugh.

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

So....has anyone tried this yet on the AC with the push button start? I'm gonna be installing my Injen tomorrow and would like to clear it. However, if no one can confirm that this procedure works, I'm just going to pull the battery cable.

Besides, how can you have the car in the "on" position without the motor being on? I don't think it possible...is it?

AltimaJoe
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S Premium Package

Yeah it is, with the key in your pocket or wherever you keep it push the button (can't remember if it's once or twice... I think twice for ACC) without putting your foot on the brake. If you want to turn it off the third push turns everything off. I think that's right.

adidas2go
Car: Cycle through all kinds of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and boats 🤙
Once upon a time: 1st turbo Altima Coupe

tried it with my CVT on "ACC" and "ON" and it was a no go.

cuzzbubba420
Car: 08 Altima 2.5 S w/ CVT

I tried also and it was a big NO GO!

LinkNuc

I could not get it to work either, got frustrated, decided to get drunk and all was good, lol.... there's got to be a trick....again that ECU reset hasn't changed since 2003 it should work, don't we have any Nissan techs in here?

Its the darn awesome pushbutton,

Motomelon
Car: 2003 Altima
93 F150 XLT 5.0
2004 Jeep Liberty
2015 Suzuki King Quad 500

LinkNuc wrote:That was definitely the correct way to reset the ECU for my 2003 Z and the 2005 Titan...after much discussion in other forums it was found that removing the battery + or - or both will not completely reset ECU. I have never and I am sure you can't flood the vehicle and I have repeated the procedure numerous times in a row because of missed timing.

Now realize this IS NOT WITH THE CAR ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those cars had keys not push button, on is after ACC on those!!!! and it was picky, you had to have NOTHING (radio, heat, fan a/c, etc. then perform the procedure...

I recommend this be done after a mod and anytime your car feels a little sluggish, after winter driving etc, it may give you back that little punch you remember like running at perfect conditions.

ECU Resetting Procedures

The Easy Method:

After experimenting with different timing, and reading posts by other members, I've come up with a condensed method of doing this reset. This method works EVERY time, even w/o a stopwatch. I've used this method successfully a dozen times, or so, now w/o a watch. After a few times, you won't need a watch or instructions. You'll get so darn good at it, you'll find yourself doing it while waiting at a traffic light.

Timing is not as critical with this method...no stop watch needed. Just count in your head...one-one thousand, two-one thounsand, etc, or use stop watch. The most critical step is step #3....wait 10 sec, instead of 7.

1. Ignition "ON", count to 3.2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times...hard and fast.3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal5. Count to 10, depress pedal6. Count to 10, release pedal.7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. Done!
LinkNuc it took a couple tries but then worked like a charm... no more ses! rock on brother!

Return to “Altima General Discussions”