ECU code 103

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
fliprayzin240sx
Car: 97 240sx w/S13 SR20--RIP
93 S14 Silvia w/ S15 Spec R SR20--RIP
95 240sx kouki convert RB25det

My *check engine* light came on and i did a diagnostic and it came up with 103. I checked chilton and it said its the park/neutral switch. Anybody know how to fix this cuz i cant find any info about it. Thanks:confused:

maxpsi

Its actually a neutral safety switch and is usually located near the auto gear shifter and other times near that location on the transmission. You must have an automatic. Manuals dont come with them.

fliprayzin240sx

umm...i dunno unless i misread the code...its definitely 103 and according to chilton and on da faQs, its the park neutral sensor. The catch is...my cars a stick. Any other idea what it could be. At first i thought it was a bad O2 sensor but thats not it. Any other suggestions? :help

maxpsi

fliprayzin240sx wrote:umm...i dunno unless i misread the code...its definitely 103 and according to chilton and on da faQs, its the park neutral sensor. The catch is...my cars a stick. Any other idea what it could be. At first i thought it was a bad O2 sensor but thats not it. Any other suggestions? :help
Other suggestions? Unplug the check engine light bulb, LOL.

I have been told that some of the older 240 manuals had a sensor at the shifter that plugged into the tranny. The sensor told the computer not to start when the car was in gear. I am not entirely sure that this info is accurate since i have never had to deal with this situation myself from all the 240s i own. I have a 91 that I am tearing apart this week. I will look over all that i can see for it and get back with you.

fliprayzin240sx

maxpsi wrote:
Other suggestions? Unplug the check engine light bulb, LOL.
LOL, the thought has crossed my mind awhile ago. :fruit

sheadee240

fliprayzin240sx wrote:umm...i dunno unless i misread the code...its definitely 103 and according to chilton and on da faQs...

where can I go to find theese faQs that you beeeze talkin' bout...My '97 S14 has a 93 code which isn't in the '95 S14 service manual?

Thanks

fliprayzin240sx

I dunno...honestly i gave up on it. I keep thinking in my head...*how the hell am i gonna have a park/neutral switch sensor when i got a damn 5-speed?!?!* I remember posting at another 240 site and a nissan mech answered and said that the 5-speed do have them. He said its on top of the tranny and just check the wire. It could be stripped. I never had a chance to try to look for it since I didnt get any other info on it other than that. I did try to look for it from the shifter area but i didnt see anything with a wire. I dont know maybe im jes gonna get a JWT ECU and have em erase that damn code while they're programming it. :evilhaha

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

Manual cars DO have a neutral switch...mine is broken too, happened when they changed the clutch (bastards probably broke it themselves). The switch basically tells your car when it is in neutral, unless your idle is messed up you don't have to change it, you could just clear the code...although it might pop up like 500 miles later. I was told fixing it is easy, and the part is cheap, but I haven't gotten a step-by-step or anything....

sheadee240

You dont have any info for the nissan mechanic that told you about this do you. I need to find a mechanic or someone who can clue me in to what the F#%# a 93 error code is. It's not in the FSM.

I counted it about fifty times now, cuz I figured it must be a 103, but it's definitely a 93. I'm gonna flip! I reset the ecu, and it lit up again the same night...ARGH!
fliprayzin240sx wrote:I dunno...honestly i gave up on it. I keep thinking in my head...*how the hell am i gonna have a park/neutral switch sensor when i got a damn 5-speed?!?!* I remember posting at another 240 site and a nissan mech answered and said that the 5-speed do have them. He said its on top of the tranny and just check the wire. It could be stripped. I never had a chance to try to look for it since I didnt get any other info on it other than that. I did try to look for it from the shifter area but i didnt see anything with a wire. I dont know maybe im jes gonna get a JWT ECU and have em erase that damn code while they're programming it. :evilhaha

fliprayzin240sx

WHY DA F*CK DOES A 5-SPEED HAVE A PARK NEUTRAL SWITCH FOR?!?! And yups thats probably what happend to my car since i got my clutch replaced bout 6 months ago.

stunt_driver

i have a 97 240sx also and its a 5 speed i got the same cel 103 like last week it toke me 3 hours to turn it off i tried clearing all the codes it turned off for a little bit but turned back on then i just put my car in 1st gear and started the motor and it turned off i think the ecu is just confused and doesnt know what gear its in i guess but mine came on after i power shifted my car if that helps

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

The switch on a 5-speed basically tells the ecu when the car is in neutral and when it is in gear...Like I said mine has been out for a while and it doesn't affect driving what so ever. I asked a few different people and they said that it will do no further damage to the car....so if you're lazy (like me) don't replace it. I've cleared the code twice and each time it came back at about 500 miles.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”