Ecoplus gas saver - does anyone use it? Scam or Slam?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Good morning
I just stumbled onto this, and it got my curious.
https://getecoplus.com/?cid=wna176l2vce ... 4090114031

It's a gas saving device that plugs into the OBD2 connector and supposedly saves gas by adjusting fuel output and pressure. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, which makes you think about who might have left them.

Does anyone here have it?

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

I'm not an engineer, but I would be surprised if that is nothing more than a plastic plug that does nothing at all. Any reduction in fuel consumption is simply placebo effect?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Anything plugged into the OBD port can "spoof" the ECM and TCM in various ways to manipulate mixture, throttle response, TC lockup, etc. So it isn't out of the question that it could serve the same purpose as the "Eco" button on many Nissans. However, there's no free lunch. Anybody who's driven a Nissan in Eco mode knows it makes for sluggish performance and poor responsiveness.

What makes me leery of this particular device is some of their advertising, claiming "eco friendliness" and in one place even claiming it eliminates CO2. That's obvious BS. So if your car lacks an Eco button and you wish it had one, this gadget might be worth a try, but don't expect it to work without compromising performance. If it works to save gas, it will slow you down, guaranteed.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Personally, it’s no different then the eco displays you see on cars. I previously used my Garmin when the green leaf went to 99, I was saving gas.

Well that got boring real quick and never use it really anymore. We get it, gas off the pedal saves gas, and off it, wastes gas. :bowrofl:

Saving gas when I was a teen was better because I could coast for blocks but with the Rogue engine braking; not as much.

Anyways, I’m using my port for the Bluetooth Garmin.
If you want to use that port for saving money, get the adaptor from your insurance company to record your driving habits and lower your monthly payments that way. Hence saving money and lowering gas if your light footed anyway. :poke:

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

@casperfun, how much engine braking are you getting? Did you adjust it via the CVTz50 app? I bumped my daughter's car up one level but I still can't feel a lot.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

In the beginning with the Rogue it was noticeable compared to the vehicles I drove when I was younger when they felt like they were free-rolling in cars decades ago.

But I’m so use to it, don’t really notice and no longer feel it. They say that is why a rogue’s brake pads can last a long time. I had so much brake material after a decade when I changed them, pretty impressive but I am a light braker unless I’m bedding new brakes.

Seriously, you can reduce engine braking with that app? I might need to check that out. My non-aerodynamic heavyish rogue could probably do a little more hypermiling and coast a bit more. I get like 16.75 mpg at the moment or that what the Nissan readout shows.:cry:

But you still feel it. I guess not. :sad:

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

LOL, OK. I guess I am spoiled by driving trucks. My Chevy Trailblazer had some decent engine braking programmed in, and my VW Touareg TDI has quite a bit. The Rogue feels like it is the one coasting!

They (the app) recommend not changing it from the zero setting. I went to +1 and still can't feel a big difference from 0. I looked on their web page and they actually have an "OFF" setting. I guess 0 is factory and OFF is, well, off. http://cvtz50.info/en/#enginebrake I checked my phone but it has to be connected to the adapter in the car to see the screen with any info on it.

When I'm driving the Rogue, I can keep the mpg around 19-20. My daughter (16) is around 15-16. LOL

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

The only obd plug in I’d buy would be to eliminate a stop start idiotic function, or to eliminate gms genius displacement on demand. When I owned my impala I took that thing to a speed shop with less the 2500 miles and had them shut that feature off and it actually got better mileage.

Return to “Rogue Forum”