ECM Issues

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
Deesemonster
Car: 1985 Nissan 300ZX Base M/T

Hi all,

Scott in SC here. :wavey:

My father gave me a 1985 300ZX Non-Turbo M/T. He said it was running when he parked it 6 years ago, but it won't start and is in pretty ugly shape now - corrosion, some squirrels got into it (chewed wires, nest in air intake), etc.

I replaced all the fluids, got a new battery, cleaned corrosion best I could, repaired the wires, etc., but unfortunately it will only crank and never fire. (It did fire when spraying starter fluid in the air intake.)

I tried to do self-diagnosis using the ECM, but the red and green lights do not come on at all. I found a bad fusible link and repaired that and confirmed continuity on those to the ECM. Then I checked to see that I have power to the ECM on pins 6, 114, and 35 (when ignition switch is on). They all had battery voltage, but still no diagnosis lights will come on.

Before I get another ECM, I wanted to ask here - are other things I need to check? Should I check all the pins in those harnesses for continuity to the ECM?

If I do need another ECM, what part numbers will work with my vehicle? Should I try to get one that is untouched out of a junk car or should I get one from a used parts dealer and have it flashed? With a price range of $65-$250, I don't wanna pay too much, but I also don't wanna skimp and get a bad one that won't work for my car.

Any and all advice on this is very welcome. TIA

P.S. When searching through the forum for answers before posting, I noticed the Engine Fuel & Emissions Control System section of the Factory Service Manual is not included in the list for the 1985. There is one in the 1984 area, but the second page of the E.C.C.S. Wiring Diagram didn't copy properly. Anyone know why that is?

I have the entire 1985 manual. Do you need a pdf of that section for the 1985 Manual page? ;)

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

sorry nobody responded to you this forum is unforunately pretty dead...you should try zperformance.com, not bashing NICO I love it but the Z31 family here isn't at all active. And I have no clude but the symtoms could be a bad Control module. I had to replace mine a LONG time ago (actually failed after only 5 years) but had been solid ever since (I bought my 84 new in 84)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I figured one of the Z guys in here would answer this, but since the ECU has power, make sure it also has ground. Check the ground pins with a test lamp, none of them should light up a lamp even dimly. If they do, it will most likely mean the other end of that wire is corroded or the wire is broken.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

There are a few guys that know their stuff but not everyone logs in too often. I am an original owner and have solved nearly every gremiln but I am not a DIY'er I use professional help :) for nearly everything, sorry. That was why I showed you the other forum that isn't hot but is completely dedicated to these cars. You might also look around your local town (where to you live?) for an old timer mechanic that knows these cars.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”