Ebay drop top with roll bar....

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
nab911

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

I want a roll bar soo bad... i have been working with a shop down here that is getting me specs monday on the roll bar from autopower... For anyone with experience, does it fit?

slownslurious

wow that car is kinda hideous... is that a sub box jackup behind the rear seats? odd positioning........no way that car has 20k in it!?

anyway search on this forum from what people have been saying the legs go back to far and the top hits the bar when up.

nab911

Well how bad does it hit? Does it scrub? will the top not go up, not go down, is it a light thing that could be ground down either on the bar for clearence or on the top bars? I want to make this work because i really want a roll bar.

slownslurious

for the same price as autopower you can probably get a custom chromoly one welded at a shop that obviously will fit since they would fit it to your car. In addition it would be easy to get 360 degree welds since they could just fold the top down... I think thats what I'm gonna do.

TurboChargedSE-R
Car: 1993 SE-R with a BIG turbo, 1993 240sx convertible with KA24DE-T

nab911 wrote:Well how bad does it hit? Does it scrub? will the top not go up, not go down, is it a light thing that could be ground down either on the bar for clearence or on the top bars? I want to make this work because i really want a roll bar.
Um, grinding a roll bar down kind of defeats the purpose, dontcha' think?

Have you local roundy-round race shop fab one up for you. By the time you pay truck shipping on an Autopower roll bar (I split shipping with a Mustang owner, we ordered them together)... a custom-made one will most likely cost less.

nab911

Well update on the roll bar situation. Not sure if you guys have seen the orange one Jarco has up for bids right now. Its not autopower but after a lot of research and getting measurements from them.. i think it might just fit. Im going monday of next week over there for test fitting so please.... DONT BID ON IT!! I had to pay $700 more for my ca18 back when i got it because of some member on this forum. Ill let yall know how it goes...

slownslurious

must be nice to live in GA, I'd buy everything they list...lol

I just checked out that bar... it looks pretty good, but my concers are as follows:1) that won't hold up on a roll over.2) that won't accomodate harnesses.3) with heim joints instead of welds its not going to stiffen much either.

IMO I'd pass it over, that would only satisfy 3 out of the 4 reasons to do a rollbar (the 4th and least important is that it looks cool, which it does).

nab911

Why wouldnt it hold up? And i could hook harness where the back seats were... im going to look at it tommarow and ill let yall know what i think.

nab911

Well im about to head up there and take a look at it but after look at my car yesterday i realized I wont be able to test fit. I beleive the rear legs are supposed to bolt to the rear wheel wells but behind those rear panels there is a huge sheet of metal i forgot about. Im gonna get a rought idea and decide tonight. Ill let yall know how it works out and get some pics.

slownslurious

its just a hoop with no diagonal bars... that won't count as a roll bar in any event that requires a bar that I've been to. For the harnesses, you want a harness bar right behind the seat to secure them to. Its safer than a long run from the back seat, because 1) they need to be as horizontal as possible, and 2) they should ideally be as short as possible because the longer they are the more they are going to deflect in a crash. Let me know if it fits though...

nab911

It will fit and those arnt heim joints. I look at it today and when you bolt it down it doesnt move and i may weld them shut once fitted. It will require some cutting of the metal on the little humps behind the door and right in front of the wheel well but its perfect for a drop top.

nab911

And i can get a friend of mine to weld on a harness bar.

slownslurious

whats it made out of ? mild steel or chromoly? If you have a friend with a fish mouth notch adaptor that you would trust enough to weld onto that one I dunno why you don' t just get him to weld you up a real bar. At any rate if youre gonna use the jarco one, have him weld in a diagonal brace while he is welding in the harness bar. And even if you do weld the heim joints they aren't going to be as strong as a properly notched and welded joint...

Do you have any pictures of it installed? and does it clear the top as well?

nab911

They arnt heim joints. I talked to my friend about welding one up and he had just gotten done doing another car and said it was a ***** and really didnt want to have to do another one, especialy on a drop top.

The joints are just holes in the end of the tubes that get bolted into the metal pieces coming off of the main hoop. If i win the auction awesome, if not ill find another place to do it.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”