E85 false information

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
tommey
Car: S13 ca18det

I would like some input on why there are so much weird "information" regarding e85?
Everyday i see people, especially on facebook talking about e85 and they clearly do not know what they are talking about.
Very often are these people negative to this fuel and talks about it like it will salt your crops and kill your first born.

I myself and most of my friends use E85 and it is a great fuel.

The two most common things people think about e85 is that it will eat up your stock fuel system and that the fuel consumption will skyrocket.

Are there really so many bad tuners out there and do people always believe every bad thing they hear about something?

Izento
Car: RPS13

I think most people compare methanol vs E85. Now I don't know s*** about either, but I know they both should have their own advantages.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I've been running E85 for about 7 years now. It's a great fuel, no side effects that I've found. It does have higher fuel consumption, but not as much as it "should be" on paper. You can run E85 much leaner than you can with gasoline and the engine will run fine AND it won't mess up the emissions (except for NOx, up to a certain point, then it improves, but that takes some tuning magic to get it that lean). My experience has been more like 15-20% decrease in fuel economy.

tommey

My experience is that most stock rubber hoses (all cars i have used it on) have no problem with e85.
Under load there is no doubt that more fuel is required, but for a streetcar wich does not see much load all the time the story is a little different.
I can easily get 500km`s from a s-chassis on e85 with highway driving.

The methanol theory might be true, thats a much more aggressive fuel and one that i do not have any experience with.

float_6969

I wasn't getting quite that good of mileage, but I never had straight highway miles and I ALWAYS beat on it, so I'm sure if I had driven like a normal person, that's where I would have been (for the US ppl, 500km is 310miles)

tommey

Some fuel pumps does not like e85, like aeromotive stealth and bosch044.
Walbro 255 (wich is most common here) have no problems with it.

I heard someone mention that as early as the 70`s they started putting ethanol in gasoline and that car manufactures started to use ethanol resistant hoses.
If thats true i do not know, but i know that the s-chassis stock hoses show no trouble with it that i have seen.

On another topic: would be interessting to try the ED95 that busses are using, just unsure if the combustion enhancer they are putting it will f things up.

float_6969

It was in the 80's in the US that it was mandated by the US government that all cars sold in the US had to be able to tolerate fuels with a maximum of 10% ethanol. Since the changes in hoses required to run E10 were the same as the hoses required to run E100, all cars since the mid 80's should tolerate E85 (or more) just fine (assuming you have tuning in place to account for the differences in fuel volumes and timing requirements)

The ignition improver is the killer. The EASIER a diesel ignites, the better (sort of). Basically, the ignition improver is a chemical that ignites EASILY. Once this ignition occurs, the rest of the ethanol will combust.

tommey

Yes i suspected that about the ED95.

It could be the 80`s in europe also, but i have never got this confirmed.

I am a little sceptical about aluminium fuellines and ethanol, i know many use it without problems but i have also seen damaged tubing.

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

I've been running it for a few years, so far no issues I can blame on the fuel. I did have an injector die while on e85, but it was a stock ka injector I modified. Whether I damaged it when I modified it or it died because it had over 150K miles, i dont know.

I plan on converting my newly finished SR power project to e85, although it probably wont happen till this winter. Lets see how much power a stock sr can make with a Borg turbo (roughly the size of a gt30), ebay cast manifold, modified sr370cc injectors, n60 or e60 mafs and a safc. I'm thinking 320-350whp on 17-22psi. No timing control and I'm no even going to sweat about detonation

Return to “Engine Tuning”