E1 Engine

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Jim_D

Hi Everyone,
I’m new to the forum. I came across a guy that has an E1 engine and 4-speed tranny. It looks like it’s all there. It has the distributor, generator, starter, and Nikki carb. He says it has all been rebuilt. I know this stuff is rare. I want to make him an offer without insulting him. What would be fair market value for such an item? Thanks.

Ted Heaton
Car: 64 Datsun 1500 Roadster
63 NL320 Sport truck

Jim_D wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Hi Everyone,
I’m new to the forum. I came across a guy that has an E1 engine and 4-speed tranny. It looks like it’s all there. It has the distributor, generator, starter, and Nikki carb. He says it has all been rebuilt. I know this stuff is rare. I want to make him an offer without insulting him. What would be fair market value for such an item? Thanks.
E1 motors are not rare. Over 500,000 made.
IF he has documentation that the Motor and Trans are rebuilt, ( not likely) $800.
If not. $400 IF the motor turns and has decent compression and Trans appears OK.
Depends on how thorough you want to be. Motor can be easily rigged to turn over sitting on the ground
to allow for a compression check. With gravity fed gas, you can get it to run.
Column shift trans or floor shift. Which do you need? You can not tell the condition without driving/shifting it.
BUT you can take the top cover off and visually check bearings, gears/syncros for obvious wear, broken gear teeth, etc.
IF it is rebuilt you should see new gaskets.

Return to “Datsun 320”