Dyno tuned Q45?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
PoorManQ45

Has anyone had a chip custom made for their specific Q45? Or is everyone using a generic chip(JWT)?

Rex
Car: None

PoorManQ45 wrote:Has anyone had a chip custom made for their specific Q45? Or is everyone using a generic chip(JWT)?
Please see the 3 R's in my sig.

PoorManQ45

Been there, done that(for once). Results were inconclusive.

Ok then, if no one has a custom tuned Q... What would be required to custom tune it? Does JWT make their chips customizable, or does a new one have to be burned everytime?

I don't mean just tuned to the VH45DE, I mean tuned to the individual vehicle

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

AGM has a standalone ECU tuned for his mods..

rsiwicki
Car: 95 Q45T

Jamesmost is the only other Q45 that we know of with a custom tuned Q45 ECU by a company that is no longer in business and his programing is suppose to be more advanced than JWT's advancement. Check out my pics under my ID in the NICO members pics section...I have a dyno run before all my mods and after all of my mods.

John Dixon
Car: 300ZX-TT Z32

I adapted some software I'd done for the 300zx to allow you to tune the VH45DE a while back.If you're interested I'll shoot you a copy and you can have a play.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

rsiwicki wrote:Jamesmost is the only other Q45 that we know of with a custom tuned Q45 ECU by a company that is no longer in business and his programing is suppose to be more advanced than JWT's advancement. Check out my pics under my ID in the NICO members pics section...I have a dyno run before all my mods and after all of my mods.
that may be true it was a company calles Quickchips, Scott Baumelhe did a great ,the tuning really showed its aggressive nature after i lost my lower cats and the 2 cans under the car

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I think 450ZXtt had Stillen custom tune his ECU for boost. I think it can still be done.

PoorManQ45

jamesmost wrote:that may be true it was a company calles Quickchips, Scott Baumelhe did a great ,the tuning really showed its aggressive nature after i lost my lower cats and the 2 cans under the car
Wait a second. You modified the exhuast after you had the custom tune done? You might want to go back and have the map(s)/curve(s) looked over and/or reworked.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

no had it done anticipating modding my exhaust, when idid mod exhaust it really shined u dig??

QShip

I'm interested. Here's my email [email protected]. Let me know what I need to do, please!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Jeff Williams wrote:I think 450ZXtt had Stillen custom tune his ECU for boost. I think it can still be done.
Jeff, he just got the JWT boost map....

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

PoorManQ45 wrote:Wait a second. You modified the exhuast after you had the custom tune done? You might want to go back and have the map(s)/curve(s) looked over and/or reworked.
MAF cars do not require retunes after simple VE mods.

PoorManQ45

Ah, thanks Nismo, didn't realize that the MAF would be able to compensate for an exhaust mod. Wait, how does it do that? Wouldn't that be the O2 sensors job?

John Dixon

It's because if the engine is breathing better/worse, then the MAF will have a different reading and so different load sites in the maps will be accessed. These load sites will (hopefully) have the correct setting in them for then new conditions.One thing you have to be careful of is running of the end of the stock maps, when you then just get the same timing figure and an injector pulse aiming for whatever AFR was in the map on the last load site.I saw an FI Q45 map, don't know which one, but its awful, no map expansion at all.

RobertsnewQ

John's my new hero.

If you guys are interested in the "nuts and bolts" of Q45 ecu tuning, hit him up for his software package. He's done the hard work for you. He found all the map and constant locations in the ROMs.

Here I was thinking I would have to do that myself!

John Dixon

I only did it so I had some base maps to convert into my emerald ECu to get it running!I actually passed on development of the 300zx software to someone else, who's doing a very nice job on it. Looks like he'll incorporate a map trace through the consult port.The Q45 version WILL allow you to alter the maps in real time, but without the trace working it's difficult to do. I did implement the trace using the romulator address watch, but the hardware was too slow to catch the addresses Once the 300zx version is complete, I'll look at modding it back for VH if anyone wants it. (I'm presuming the consult commands are going to be broadly similar).

RobertsnewQ

John - that would be great if you have the time to do it. You'd just have to change the software pointer to the VH maps if the consult packets are the same, right? This weekend I'm building a consult interface so I can grab my current bin. I'd like to find a copy of a JWT or other modified bin so I can see how they do things. Maybe one of the list members would be willing to help out.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Robert... if once you get it figured out I can loan you my extra JWT ECU...

John Dixon

Yes, and the RAM addresses for the real time TP / RPM values.

RobertsnewQ

John - I just today realized my 93 Q has a 16-bit ECU (or at least it has the same sticker as the '94 16-bit that I've popped apart). Dunno where that leaves me, but I think I have two options: Use the early 8-bit ECU or find the maps in the 16-bit ECU.

Know anything about this?

I think the early ECUs are pin-compatible with the later ones, but I'm not 100% sure.

Wes - Do you have a schematic or the EC & EF section from a 1990-92 Q shop manual?

John Dixon

Could be a bit of a problem. I'd open it up just to check. I've never looked into the 16bit ECU's much. If it is pin compatiable, I'd just get an 8 bit and then work wth that.

GreenQ45a
Car: 2012 Altima 3.5 SR CVT - Dark Slate w\Black Leather Sport\Tech\Premium

2010 Pathfinder 4.0 SE Auto - Red w\Grey Cloth Towing Pkg\Tech 1

I was intrested in doing some work in this same aera and found I wanted to wait for a Nissan Consult for help making sure the car is 100% before starting a tune.

I have a few several computers, EEPROM programers, and some top of the line solder equipment.

I will replacate and copy whats needed as long as this project is for NICO-ion's.Nothing is for free but if we made some NI-Chips for a fair price (Fair = 1\4 the Price of JWT and others) it would be a win win.

I thought it would be great to have a few different tuned chips you could have a different chip for Roadtrips, Racing, Fuel Price spikes, and Valet parking or letting a non-G50 owner drive your car.

I even thought a ribbon cable would be a Great add-on if you could move the EEPROM daughter board to the cabin or golvebox so swap-outs and reflashes could be done with out removing the ECU.

If I could help just let me know.

BTW... Wes, is that JWT for sale?

Can you post t pics of the Daughter-Board.

Search my post a while back you'll find NICO-ions are willing to help you like NO OTHER BOARD.

John Dixon

I built a daughter board for my 300zx using a 1001 EPROM that has 4 maps on it yuo can switch between. Was going to produce a few, should work in the Q45 ECU too (or any other ECU that uses a 27C256).

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Just so you know, i put in a 90-93 active Q45 ECU in my 94 Q and it worked fine....

JWT is not for sale but even if it was, it has already been claimed... I got such a good deal on it im not going to sell it to anyone that will keep it and be selfish with it.. I will have it for my personal chambers and see if maybe we can have someone replicate it.

RobertsnewQ

John - the 93 ECU is 8-bit so it looks like I'm in business. I have the car running on the 94 16-bit ECU. I already unsoldered the eprom, although I broke it and so I don't have the original bin. I'm going to try running it on one of the bins that you sent me.

If you make some of those boards, I would certainly buy one or more.

GreenQ45- Let's talk. I've got a programmer and a couple of 29C256s to experiment. I'm setting my 8-bit ECU up with a lo-pro zif socket so that I can swap chips easily until I have a good tune.

Wes- When I get my consult interface working properly, I would love to borrow the JWT ECU for a couple of days. Of course I would pay for shipping. Copyright laws say that I can't copy it for personal gain, but I suppose I could make a "backup" for you or anyone that wants it.

Desoldering that eprom was a b*tch because of Nissan's coating, and because I was trying to save the chip. Next time I'll just clip the leads off and do it the easy way.

PoorManQ45

Ok guys, if you're really going through with this, I want to see a very nice looking way to switch between the different programs. Like something mounted in the glovebox, or somewhere remote like that

John Dixon

Well, the current one in my 300 just has 2 tiny switches on the dash for map selection. Was even thinking of doing a rotary switch with digital display at one time!The other thing to bear in mind is that the maps can be switched by external relays for nitrous etc.I'll get the board out of the ZX this weekend and start looking at designing a PCB for it.

RobertsnewQ

Have you seen the one Craig Moates builds? It's very nice and very cheap. I'd like a PCB or two just because I like building this stuff.

Here's one for an 040 chip:http://www.moates.net/product_...id=87

and the one for an 010:http://www.moates.net/product_...id=80

If you want a project, help design one of those USB-programmable flash boards. Several people on ztechz seem to be working on one. That's the holy grail of programmable ECCS, especially if you could have it able to do on-the-fly downloads.
Modified by RobertsnewQ at 10:24 AM 9/13/2005

RobertsnewQ

Here's what I did last night.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”