DVD based navigation system..

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
xxjkimxx

Hey guys.. I'm new here... I recently bought 2005 G35 Coupe 6MT and I have DVD Based navigation system... but my question is... can I run Movie DVDs with DVD based navigation system?.. because I found DVD Rom and was wondering if I could play any DVD movies.. or if there are any mods to play dvd in DVD navigation rom... please help.. thanks
Modified by xxjkimxx at 5:57 PM 7/19/2005

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

You can play DVDs but only when the car is not moving...

Welcome to NICO!!! Congrats on your new purchase!

xxjkimxx

I tried to play DVD when car was stopped.. and when engine was off...but DVD ROM seemed like its wasn't recegonizing the DVD Movie... it won't do anything... on the screen it only says wrong dvd navigation is in or something.... any idea what to do???

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

First off, welcome to NICO.

Secondly, unless they changed systems for the 05 model year, you can not play dvd's with the nav system. However, there have been some conversions done to play dvd's. I am not sure if there is a kit available yet or not.

04G35guy

I have an '04 G35 sedan with the DVD nav system and I can not play movies at any time in the system. That was the first thing I tried was to pop in a movie

rydwhite

Welcome to NICO impaler. it's nice to see another G owner from the Indy area on board.

04G35guy

rydwhite wrote:Welcome to NICO impaler. it's nice to see another G owner from the Indy area on board.
thanks man...I totally adore my G

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

impaler_240 wrote:thanks man...I totally adore my G
Nice, welcome aboard!!! Im up in anderson... I raced a G35 coupe during the winter and im trying to figure out who it was

You should come to the meet in Louisville this sunday

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Also to the starter of thread (Justin)

Sorry that I didnt know what i was talking about..... I only wish i had a nav system, but i knew in other DVD nav systems it comes available factory..... sorry

04G35guy

elwesso wrote:
Nice, welcome aboard!!! Im up in anderson... I raced a G35 coupe during the winter and im trying to figure out who it was

You should come to the meet in Louisville this sunday
I have a 6MT white sedan so it wasn't me

I'll be heading the other direction in the G this weekend...going to a party at my buddy's lake cabin up in Coldwater, MI.

Have fun in the 'Ville!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

impaler_240 wrote:I have a 6MT white sedan so it wasn't me

I'll be heading the other direction in the G this weekend...going to a party at my buddy's lake cabin up in Coldwater, MI.

Have fun in the 'Ville!
Cool, have fun up north... Id rather go to the lake than to louisville, i have bad memories from Louisville, but its a NICO meet so you cant go wrong

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

elwesso wrote:You can play DVDs but only when the car is not moving...
Apparently, the new 2006 M35/M45 does it this way, but not the G35 (2005 or earlier.)

FWIW, consider me old-fashioned, but I am concerned that this kind of distraction of the driver (if it were on all the time when the car is moving, that is) could be very dangerous!

By the way, the M35/M4 has an option for a powered drop-down 8" screen for the rear passengers where you can play a DVD for them (I forget whether the DVD is played from the front or has a separate player in the back.)

Great for keeping kids occupied on long trips!

Z

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

szhosain wrote:Apparently, the new 2006 M35/M45 does it this way, but not the G35 (2005 or earlier.)

FWIW, consider me old-fashioned, but I am concerned that this kind of distraction of the driver (if it were on all the time when the car is moving, that is) could be very dangerous!

By the way, the M35/M4 has an option for a powered drop-down 8" screen for the rear passengers where you can play a DVD for them (I forget whether the DVD is played from the front or has a separate player in the back.)

Great for keeping kids occupied on long trips!

Z
Most of those, like the ones on the new cadillacs (thats why i thought you could do it in these) only allow it to play DVDs when the car is in park and the parking brake is on...

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

elwesso wrote:Most of those, like the ones on the new cadillacs (thats why i thought you could do it in these) only allow it to play DVDs when the car is in park and the parking brake is on...
Good! I should clarify my earlier comments ... when the car is stopped and the video can play (like on the current M35/M45,) I do not have any problem with that!

But, I think I vaguely remember seeing a post to a place that had a hack to permanently allow the G35 to play the DVD videos on the front screen while the car was moving! Scary ... <shudder>

Z

04G35guy

szhosain wrote:
Good! I should clarify my earlier comments ... when the car is stopped and the video can play (like on the current M35/M45,) I do not have any problem with that!

But, I think I vaguely remember seeing a post to a place that had a hack to permanently allow the G35 to play the DVD videos on the front screen while the car was moving! Scary ... <shudder>

Z
Ha...that would be cool but agree to the dangers. There are actually several features on the nav system that automatically disable when the car is in motion...certainly a safety issue.

rydwhite

There are ways to get around all of those shut off features while in motion. I don't know how, but I have seen it done on a couple of G35's.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The 03-04 models use a standard RGB+sync signal. There are plenty of options for this. I'm using the NAVBOX (http://www.generatorlabs.com/) to run my XBox on the nav screen. As of yet, I do not think this is available for the 05 model. My understanding is the new nav system uses a rolling sync signal. I do know it has been done, but I am not sure what components they used to feed the signal properly to the 05 navscreen.

As far as getting around shutoff features, the only factory one is the limited input that is allowed to the nav sytstem when the car is moving. Since the G35 does not play movie DVD's in it's nav system, it does not need such a feature. Aftermarket DVD systems tend to have safety features that will not allow the video signal to feed when the parking brake is off, but these are easy to bypass as it is usually nothing more than a simple ground. Grounding it permanently in this case would feed the signal all the time.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Just found the info to the guys that developed a module that works with the 05 G35.

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/index.html

rydwhite

Thanks for the info.

S14-84

xxjkimxx wrote:Hey guys.. I'm new here... I recently bought 2005 G35 Coupe 6MT and I have DVD Based navigation system... but my question is... can I run Movie DVDs with DVD based navigation system?.. because I found DVD Rom and was wondering if I could play any DVD movies.. or if there are any mods to play dvd in DVD navigation rom... please help.. thanks

Modified by xxjkimxx at 5:57 PM 7/19/2005
Hey xxjkimxx,How much did you paid for your g35?

xxjkimxx

i got my 2005 g35 fully loaded for 39000.00 (including Tax and Tag)....

S14-84

is that a reasonable price? or over priced? because I am really thinking about getting the G35 soon but i really don't want to pay stupid tag price!!~

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”