DVD audio in 5.1 surround...

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
M.45ACP
Car: 06 M45 Sport

Hello all. I recently played a DVD audio in 5.1 surround for the first time in my M45 (Crystal Method "Legion of boom"). To be honest, not really being much of an audiophile, I really didn't expect to be able to hear much of a difference, but not only could I tell the difference, I was able to do so immediately! So now I'm on a DVD audio kick, but have been appalled at the incredibly poor selection of DVD audio discs.

So anyway, to make a short story long, is anyone aware of a music download site that has downloads in 5.1 surround?

Best regards, Matt

jshattner

Don't forget there is a wealth of DVD video concert material in 5.1 that will also sound geat as audio-only. Some of it is live concert stuff that may not be miked as well as you'd like (e.g., only the crowd comes through in surrounds), but other stuff can be pretty good. Eagles, Cher, Tina come to mind in the "pop" category. I haven't been out listening to much yet, but I expect I'll pick up a few more soon.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

best buy at the store level has a small selectiondvd audio typed into your search engine will get you morei am not sure you can download and copy this format on to a blank discbut i am 53 years old and have crsdont expect super audio cd to sound as good eitherm35 18k milesMazz

jshattner

"dont expect super audio cd to sound as good either"

SACD is not supported in the M. So what you hear is the stereo CD track.

G35Sunfan
Car: G35 M35

I too find the DVD Audio selections at the local Circuit City or Best Buy to be very limited. After getting Usher in concert and my favorite Alicia Keys Unplugged I really haven't found anything else to my liking. Besides movies its just hard to find the 5.1 format with your favorite artis.

BTW the Alicia Keys Unplugged is great. The sound is just incredible.

bahgee

Does anyone know if those dualdisc cds work in the M? Those are the discs that have regular cd tracks on one side, and the other side is a dvd? of the same tracks in 5.1 surround sound.

samshady
Car: '06 Platinum M35

bahgee wrote:Does anyone know if those dualdisc cds work in the M? Those are the discs that have regular cd tracks on one side, and the other side is a dvd? of the same tracks in 5.1 surround sound.
Dual discs are HOT!! They are cheaper than DVD Audio discs (which IMO, are phasing out), and they're starting to really hit the shelves! I have seen close to 20 new CDs ranging from Rock/Country (Aerosmith), Gretchen Wilson, to Jazz to R&B/Hip-Hop (Three 6 Mafia, Snoop, Dre, 2-Pac, Destiny's Child, Jamie Foxx, etc.) - Obviously, I know more of the latter (in my scope). There's a lot out there. That is the first thing I look for when buying CDs now - Do they come in Dual Disc? It is kind of like buying a DVD in Widescreen format instead of Full-Screen. Go Dual Disc...you won't be disappointed (just make sure that you check the audio format from the DVD Menu in the M, to make sure you're taking full advantage of the surround and enhanced audio).

jshattner

Sam, I've also been seeing a lot of them, but most seem to be remastered surround, and not DD 5.1 (e.g., Beyonce) Is this changing?

samshady

jshattner wrote:Sam, I've also been seeing a lot of them, but most seem to be remastered surround, and not DD 5.1 (e.g., Beyonce) Is this changing?
You're right, not exactly 5.1, but the difference between the Dual Discs and CDs can be noticed tenfold. If you even approach midvolume (base Bose system), you feel like you're in a SoundStage or concert or something. The bass is rich and the highs are crisp. I can't wait until I add my amp/10 " MTX - just for that extra little kick

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

Forget your local Best Buy or Circuit City. Try out Amazon or DVD Empire. Even checking those out, you'll see that there is a very small amount to pick from, especially if you're not into classical or live concerts.

Yes, you can play a regular concert DVD but the real experience in our 5.1 system will be found on a DVD-Audio disk recorded at 96kHz.

As for dualdisk, I think most material on the DVD side is videos and interviews vs. a DVD-Audio version of the CD side. At least that's what I've seen so far.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

i am still a little confused with all the different type disc availablei have not found dolby 5.1 mentioned or 96hz but i do see dvd-ais that all i need to know about format and just pick my favorite artist?thanks Mazz m35w/tech pkg

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

Mazz, Yes DVD-A is all you need to know....tk

superjv1080

DVD-Audio is what you're looking for. A sales guy at my local Best Buy said I should also look for "enhanced" on the cover. I think that is supposed to mean that the audio is at a higher quality. Not sure but I think that's the deal. Some DVD-Audio disks will have a "DTS" or "5.1" label on it.

At Best Buy and Circuit City, they have the DVD-Audio and SACD disks all mixed together so look at each cover to make sure you're picking DVD-Audio.

samshady

superjv1080 wrote:As for dualdisk, I think most material on the DVD side is videos and interviews vs. a DVD-Audio version of the CD side. At least that's what I've seen so far.
Every Dual Disc that I've bought has the whole album in Digitally enhanced audio on the DVD side. Like I mentioned before, they seem to be much more abundant (and current) than DVD-A's.

superjv1080

Just an update......I went and purchased 2 DualDisks yesterday (2 Sony disks). Each claimed "enhanced LPCM stereo" on the case. If you want to enjoy better sound quality avoid Sony DualDisks. I did some research online after noticing the sound being no better.

What they do is put the audio on the DVD side at a 16bit/48kHz where a normal CD is 16bit/44kHz. This way Sony claims better sound but all they did was change the 44kHz to 48kHz. Big deal. That's like spitting in a can of Coke and calling it "enhanced volume". Or it's like putting 1 more gram of lemon scent into a gallon of dish washing soap and calling it "new and improved". Not a lie but not worth a cow turd!

There are non-Sony DualDisks that have 24bit/96kHz versions on the DVD side. It turns out that Sony doesn't want to support DVD-Audio since they didn't invent it. Sony did SACD (Super Audio CD) and it's failed. Remember BetaMax vs. VHS?

Unfortunately, not all labels on descriptions online show the true recording specs. The good ones do. True DVD-Audio disks with a label showing "advanced resolution" should be the disks you want. So far those have been marked on the back as 24bit/96kHz versions. Anything less is as good as a regular CD.

marker10

so just to clarify, I can buy any music dvd (concerts, music video, etc..) and listen to it in the dvd audio player even though the music dvd is labeled as dvd video? When I put the music dvd in the dvd audio player, does it automatically play in the audio only mode or do I have to select it from an option.

Thanks!

samshady

marker10 wrote: When I put the music dvd in the dvd audio player, does it automatically play in the audio only mode or do I have to select it from an option.

Thanks!
You probably have to go through the DVD Menu to start playing the concert, then move on...unless you have the hack.

jshattner

If you go into the settings menu for dvd function on the M, you can set disks to autostart. Almost all recent DVD's (I believe except for the early ones with the FBI piracy screen) will then go directly to "play", even while you're driving. No hack required. (Although I've done it for other menu access reasons.)

superjv1080

I can't recall having to change a setting to auto play (maybe I forgot) but my DVD-Audio disks and standard concert DVDs start right up.

jshattner

Some concert DVD's go straight into the concert without a top menu appearing and will therefore start playing just fine in the car. Others will have a top menu letting you selsct (for example) chapters, sound settings, special contents, etc. For the latter, the menu usually has "play" highlighted so the entry of "OK" (or "enter") on the remote starts the play without going through a selection. In the M, these disks will wait for your input unless you set auto-start on the M's settings menu, in which case it will automatically simulate hitting "enter" for you.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”