Dump DE engine and keep up HR or SR?

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

I'm locked in a decide and need opinions.

I have a Z33 touring- VQ35DE but I'm starting to want more HP. I gained 21 WHP from a recent Osiris tune w/ bolt-ons (241RWHP) but I at least want to be above 250WHP and eventually reach 300HP.

I'm reading about VQ35HR owners getting 260+ HP with simple bolt-ons...!
  • I don't mind buying a 07+ HR Z but at the same time that's an expensive project car!
  • I can build my DE to 260+ HP but for the money I spend I might as well buy a 07 Z!
  • I can buy a s15 SR20 black top and achieve 260+ whp with a lighter engine and larger aftermarket turbo.
I'm leaning more towards the SR20 swap. I'm sure it would be cheaper that buying $1K HR parts or DE .

Can I get some opinions please?

40flash
Car: 240sx 95 S14 VQ

I am doing a VQ swap on My S14 because I like the Idea of:
1 reliabile power.
2 My insurance guy hates turbo cars.
3 throttle response.
4 When I line up the car for that apex, I don't want to wait for the power to show up.

FAST-DATSUN

the HR has problems with the starter being on the driver side and hitting the power steering rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are looking for options, but nothing yet..

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

I don't mean to be an a$$, but... is this thread a joke? If you want to make over 300whp on your VQ35, you're gonna need forced induction. N/A bolt-ons are a waste of time unless you're restricted to them for some reason.

And the SR option? Are you serious? Yeah, the aftermarket is plentyful. Reaching 300hp is easy with an SR. But what about your torque curve? The VQ's bigger displacement gives a MUCH broader powerband than the SR. Plus, an SR swap into a Z is not an easy affair. Also, the wieght difference between an SR and a VQ is almost nonexistant, so thats no advantage either.

If you're wanting to swap in something with lower displacement and is factory boosted, look into to VQ30DET from the Cedric or Gloria. But seriously... just supercharge your VQ35DE and be done.

irax
Car: VQ35DER Powered S14.3

bardabe just made 292 whp with intake, tune and exhaust(factory headers) in his 07 350z on california 91. and the tune was not aggressive since it was his daily driver.
300whp is easily reachable with HR, kind of a challenge with DE but doable

FAST-DATSUN

FAST-DATSUN wrote:the HR has problems with the starter being on the driver side and hitting the power steering rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are looking for options, but nothing yet..
We have w work around for the HR and a new mount for HR in work for later.....

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

LOL. I never recieved email notifications regarding this thread.

simmodel, this thread was very real and I don't really know why the hell I started it anymore... :)

I've since ditched the touring bought an '03 track Z and now I'm F/I w/ 405rwhp using a PL kit.

Acutally, I do remember why I started the thread now. It was due to me wanting to engine build vs F/I. In many ways I believe I made the bad choice. I love my F/I but that instance response and torque of a powerfully built motor would've been fine. I mainly drift in my car so I don't need a s*** of HP anyways.

FAST-DASTUN,

That must've been on a dynojet. Those numbers are silly. Try to run the car on a dynapack and see what you get.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”