Dummy Light for Lights on Dash

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

The "Dummy" light on the dash of my J30 is on indicating that there is a problem with my lights. However, I've checked all the lights on the outside of the car and the brakes lights, etc.... Everything works. Why is this light still on? I do know that my trunk light is out, but I never cared to much. Could that be the problem?

Please help me turn off that red light on my dash!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Are your bulbs all OEM?

Fred...:)

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

I assume the bulbs are the same between the J and the Q. The brake bulbs have 2 filaments, so they will still light up if 1 filament burns out, just not as bright. The only way to be sure is to remove the bulb housings and inspect each bulb while someone else hits the brake. You could also just replace 1 bulb at a time with a new factory bulb, and then hope that only 1 bulb is bad. It is also possible, though very unlikely, that you have a bad sensor.

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

I had a similar bogus indication the drove me nuts for a year. It turned out that a wire on the taillight bulb holder was loose and just lost contact enough to trip the warning light, but the bulbs were always working. Tighten all the screws holding the connections on your lights and maybe that will help.

AZQ45
Car: Q45, G35, My 3 sons, hockey, snowmobiling (when I can)

Assuming the J is as particular as the Q, you should replace all non-OEM with OEM. I had a similar message on my Q and ended up replacing all with OEM. I now enjoy the 'OK' message as opposed to an 'INOPERATIVE'.

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

Thanks to everyone for thier input. I'm out of town right now but it sounds like I need to check and see if all my bulbs are OEM and that they have both filiments intact while checking to insure a good connection.

If that doesn't work, I'll come back!

landtodd

Alternative to buying $6 bulbs at your Infiniti dealer is Sylvania Long Life series, which you can find at Pep Boys, et al. Dennis said these were okay quite a while back, and you know how picky he is!

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”