dumb questions...

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
JinNjuicE

I just bought a '95 240SX, and found out that my AC compressor is pretty much shot.

1) How much is it to replace it at a shop (est.)2) Is there a more efficient AC compressor (after market)3) Is it easy enough for a newbie (like myself) to replace it myself

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Well its pretty expensive to replace the ac compressor, like 800 (with labor) dollars or more, maybe less. I doubt it's a job you can do by yourself however :(

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

What type of refrigerant do you have in your system? I don't remember when the OEM's went to R-134, but purging R-12 into the atmosphere is highly illegal and is not good for you. It sucks, but I'd seriously have someone that does this kind of thing handle it. I know I certainly wouldn't want my lungs full of R-12.

AunVoh

are you sure it's your compressor? i'd have it checked out and see if you just need to refill it first, then go from there.

Repo Man

AunVoh has got a good point. I just had my '92 converted from R-12 to R-134. I thought it was out of refrigerant, but there is some type of internal filter in your ac system that gets clogged. It turns out that the system was full of R-12 and the filter was clogged. When it was converted to 134, it cleaned the filter and the ac worked again, thank God.

JinNjuicE

Thanx guys. repoman, how much was it to covert from R12 to R134 and replacing/cleaning the filter?

Also, did it make a high screeching noise when you turned on ur AC? Mine only makes that noise when i turn my AC on...i checked if the timing chain was the problem (tensioner and other stuff), but it wasn't it. If you guys know what it could be post some ideas. Thanx.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

High screaching noises are caused by a slipping belt.

JinNjuicE

Nismo_Freak wrote:High screaching noises are caused by a slipping belt.
It ONLY makes that noise when the AC is on. Tried at idle and high rpm, and it only makes that noise when that stu*id AC button pressed in. Is AC giving that much more stress to the timing chain?

Repo Man

JinNjuicE,

I am lucky to have a good friend who is an ASE mechanic that owns his own shop. I got the hookup on my ac. He converted it for what it cost him ($50). Normally, it would have cost between $150-$200 at CarX or wherever.

The filter I am referring to (don't know the name) is an internal filter that is cleaned out when the new refrigerant is run through the system along with the new system oil. The old stuff that comes out is pretty nasty. So, you don't actually remove the filter.

Again, make sure you have an exact diagnosis of what the problem is. I thought I was out of refrigerant initially, but when the system was purged, it was full. Just a matter of the clogged filter. Occasionally I get off cheap! The ac didn't work at all before, now it blows at 50 degrees while idling. Good luck.

AunVoh

JinNjuicE wrote:
Is AC giving that much more stress to the timing chain?
what? i think Nismo_Freak was talking about the belt that goes around your A/C and such, are you sure it's tight enough? um, heres something to think about, it could be that your compressor isn't turing? or turning freely enough to work right, thats why your belt could be tight and your A/C still makes alot of noise, so you should try to turn it by hand and see if it turns right or not, it maybe stuck.

JinNjuicE

Thanx repo man for the AC info, and thanx AunVoh...i will try that :)

Repo Man

:beerchug

AunVoh

hey, np, let us know how it turns out.

JinNjuicE

The AC compressor turns, but it's very very "STIFF" (what my mechanic said). He said that the compressor is pretty much shot, and if i wanted to buy a compressor alone. It will cost me $500. :( I was like WOAH!!! **** I won't use the damn AC 'til I do a swap, then I will look for a compressor at a junk yard or something.

Can I put different AC compressor? (like sentra, altima, and etc.)

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

Jin, I live in San Antonio, TX and there is a place here aptly named 'San Antonio Auto Air'.The reason I share this info with you is that they will sell you a re-built A/C Compressor for about $225. If you want to contact them call them @ 210-212-9090. I have used them before and can tell you that they are after satisfied customers. The 'catch' is that they require your old compressor core in exchange and the bearings have to be 'good'. That means the compressor has to 'turn'. But, contact them and they'll answer all your questions.Remember also that you'll have to change your receiver/dryer in your a/c system.My compressor is shot also and they will do the complete job for $450-of course they guarantee their work for a year so it's good if you live in S.A. . Either way, give them a holler and possibly save yourself some $$$$. Peace.:icesangel

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”