Dual Ram Intake Rumors and Feedbacks

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
bigpei
Car: 2006 g35 coupe AEM CAI, Skunk2 Plenum Spacer, Evo2 TT 3" TI Exhaust /w Test Pipes, Nismo Headers

Hey guys, as i continue to do my research and info about the dual ram intakes, i have been gettin alot of feedbacks and comments about how the stock air box has more power than the dual intakes. well, atleast the Fujita ones sine it sucks in heat. but from my knowledge when the car is rolling air is coming from the radiator. i just want to make sure i have opinions from you guys. i really do like the sound the intakes produce but yet i do not want to loose any power on any level of power bands. help! ive always been a CAI guy but this time.. lol

Gman9114u
Car: 2008 Infiniti G37S, 2007 Nissan 350Z, 1992 Nissan SE-R, 1979 280ZX

I understand completely where you are coming from with regards to preferring a CAI. I have used CAI's for years starting with my 1992 Nissan SE-R. CAI's do make a noticable increase in horsepower to the tune of about 1HP for every 10 degrees you can lower the intake charge. Unfortunately I purchased the Dual intake from $tillen the same day Jim Wolfe Technology announced that they too had developed a dual intake system that dynoed from 6.5-10HP at the wheels as compared to the claimed 6.5 at the flywheel from $tillen. The $tillens do come with a heat shield of sorts, but no where near as nice as the hood sealing ones available from JWT. I have always used and trusted JWT, they make a very fine product. I just wish I had known ahead of time before I dropped $399.00 plus shipping on the $tillen's. The $tillen intakes do seem to make a bit of a difference according to my seat of the pants dyno and they do make a nice sound. Oh well, I suppose I could transfer the $tillen intakes to the 2007 350Z and order the JWT's

bigpei
Car: 2006 g35 coupe AEM CAI, Skunk2 Plenum Spacer, Evo2 TT 3" TI Exhaust /w Test Pipes, Nismo Headers

Thanks alot for the info i had no idea JWT already came out with Duals for our car. I might just get theirs now. i hope it also makes the awesome sound

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

+1 for JWT!! Love that blue!

Alvecchio
Car: 05 Evo 8 (AMS powered)

I'm new to G37s(comin from evos). From the looks of it at the dealer(haven't bought mine yet) is seems to use 2 maf sensors correct? If this is the case, I could see why those intakes might hinder performance. Not only because of the hot air its allowing but also that it changes the way the air flows through the maf. In general, intakes should always be accompanied by a tune. What are people using on the G37s for flashing?

CYO44Baseball32
Car: G37S 6MT

I have the Fujita intake on my G37S I like th eextra sound and I love the look under the hood. The dyno did show an extra 10.66 to the wheels on site I bought it from.

djkymar
Car: G37s

Does the intake make any different sound for the exhaust?

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

It gives your car (at least in the G35) a lil more of a "throaty" sound... sounds great on the G35

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Nissan engineers have a limit of 1.5000% on intake restrictions that reduce power. To make sure they don't get carried away over filtering the engine to increase longevity.

Causing a 2-3% restriction to air flow might [by better thicker cotton/paper filtration elements or 2 in series] just might increase engine life by 20% due to less ring wear from microscopic air particles [dirt]..................whether you get 150k, 300k, or 450k is rarely the concern of new car buyers.

CYO44Baseball32
Car: G37S 6MT

You can hear it a little more around 3.5k to 5k and over all give it a nice little extra sound, I just wish it had a little more whistle.

chuckyl
Car: G37

Stillen just come out with a new long tube intake. It's supposed to give 11hp and 9lb at the wheel. The pic's at there sight look very good. I ordered one $505.95 including s&h.I got it yesterday The cold air boxes are scuffed and look like #&*#, but more importantly, the tubes after the filters contain some sort of buffing residue and metal particles stuck to the inside walls. The metal particles come off very easily when prodded with something. No problem, the MAS will stop it and the residue and what it misses will simplily be injested into the engine. LOL. I'm dealing with Stillen as I make this post. Their initial response was I should buff out the scratches with Mother's plastic polish. For $599.00 list price I'd expect something that looks nice in a $42,000+ car. I'm an older guy and not internet literate I'd like to know how to get this post out to a larger audience. Any help will be appreciated. In the mean time I will try to keep the forum posted.

kahboom

chuckyl wrote:Stillen just come out with a new long tube intake. It's supposed to give 11hp and 9lb at the wheel. The pic's at there sight look very good. I ordered one $505.95 including s&h.I got it yesterday The cold air boxes are scuffed and look like #&*#, but more importantly, the tubes after the filters contain some sort of buffing residue and metal particles stuck to the inside walls. The metal particles come off very easily when prodded with something. No problem, the MAS will stop it and the residue and what it misses will simplily be injested into the engine. LOL. I'm dealing with Stillen as I make this post. Their initial response was I should buff out the scratches with Mother's plastic polish. For $599.00 list price I'd expect something that looks nice in a $42,000+ car. I'm an older guy and not internet literate I'd like to know how to get this post out to a larger audience. Any help will be appreciated. In the mean time I will try to keep the forum posted.
Stillen has built somewhat of a bad rep lately. You might post on myg37.com and g35driver.com as well as nicoclub.com. I was totally going to buy a stillen intake but lately I have been hearing lots of bad stuff.

chuckyl

Thanks for the input. I'll do that soon. Up date: At first I was dealing with customer servivce and not making much head way, then I noticed that Kyle M. Stillen posted his email on this sight. I contacted him and got imediate and excellent results. A new intake will be enroute to me soon, I'll up date ASAP. The intake looks really good. You can see it on the stillen sight.

chuckyl

got my new stillen long tubes. the install was pretty stright forward but i used two clamps on the small rubber hoses to the tubes. sounds real good not to loud but nice and throaty. i feel a little more grunt but who knows! i'm going to install an exhust in the future then i'll dyno and post the results Well, now that I've become more knowledgable about intakes Id suggest do your home work before you blow $500.00 on an intake that stillen saz produces 11hp and 9lb of torque. an independent shop tested it and they got 6 hp and a litte over 3lb of torque. I missed that post @myG37. Cobb tuning ran the test. As hind sight is always 20/20 I'd just install K&N filters in the stock set-up and wait for some proven results from some one other than the people who made them. I hope this will help someone to not make the same mistake as I did.
Modified by chuckyl at 11:54 PM 3/30/2008

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

CYO44Baseball32 wrote:I have the Fujita intake on my G37S I like th eextra sound and I love the look under the hood. The dyno did show an extra 10.66 to the wheels on site I bought it from.
Was the dynamometer run done with the hood closed and in summer?

"Ram air" is a euphemism lilke "All season". Infiniti locates the OEM CAI in high pressure areas on most cars, and usually include resonanat tuning that aftermarket tuners can't afford the research to duplicate.

If you can't produce a 10% increase in torque, the gain will be unnoticeable on the street. HP is just a calculated number based on a formula using a constant and some rpm and respective torque figures.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”