dual channel RAM configuration

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

My mobo is an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe. Yeah, its old and I should upgrade it soon. But I needed memory first (been running 512mb since I built it in '03 ) so I ordered some up on Monday. It's showing up today (free 3 day shipping, thank you NewEgg) and now I'm wondering about how I'm going to install it. The P4C800 has a dual channel configuration, two banks of two slots. There is one blue slot and one black slot on each bank. Where should I put the two sticks in order to utilize the dual channel feature? I'm guessing they can be in any slot, just on a different bank, but I'm not sure.

krazydriver
Car: 2002 civic ex, 1993 KA-T 240sx - parting it out...

Usually it's same color = same channel.So put both the memory sticks in the same color. Black/black or blue/blue

xekushnr

Wouldnt I want them in separate channels so I get double the bandwidth, or am I just not understanding this correctly?

xekushnr

Well I put them in, same color different banks. Checked in BIOS before loading Windows, and its showing the full 2Gs. In Windows, it is also showing the 2 gigs. Is there a program I could use to read the memory bandwidth to make sure its using the dual channel?

EDIT: Also, can I still use my old Corsair 512mb stick with this configuration? I know it probably will not make a difference even if I could, but the more memory the better. I will have to check if the CAS and voltages are the same. Would I have any conflicts doing this?

I'm sorry for being such a memory noob. I consider myself very computer literate but I still need help on some of the hardware stuff.

krazydriver

if you really want to check download a program called CPU-Z. Under the memory tab it will show how the memory is being used along with it's speed and a bunch of other information.

Here's some information that will help explain the dual channel stuff.
wikipedia on dual channel architecture wrote:in order to achieve this, two or more DDR/DDR2 SDRAM memory modules must be installed into matching banks, which are usually color coded on the motherboard. These separate channels allow each memory module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput bandwidth. It is not required that identical modules be used, but this is often recommended for best compatibility for dual channel operation. It is possible to use a single-sided module of 512 MiB and a double-sided module of 512 MiB in dual-channel configuration, but how fast and stable it is depends on the memory controller.

If the motherboard has two pairs of differently coloured DIMM sockets (the colours indicate which bank they belong to, bank 0 or bank 1), then one can place a matched pair of memory modules in bank 0, but a different-capacity pair of modules in bank 1, as long as they are of the same speed. Using this scheme, a pair of 1 GiB memory modules in bank 0 and a pair of matched 512 MiB modules in bank 1 would be acceptable for dual-channel operation.

xekushnr

Awesome, thanks.

Taking this one step further, I've heard that optimally you want your memory running 1:1 with the front side bus. CPU-Z says that I'm running 3:2 FSB:memory. Now I'm not going to start bumping voltages around without doing research but I have a few questions first. Will bumping the voltages draw a significantly larger amount of power from the PS? I seriously doubt this...just covering my ***. Are timings generic and adaptable across all brands of memory, or do certain timings work only with certain sticks? Where should I go to find the optimal timing for my new sticks?

Again, sorry for being a memory noob. I have to learn sometime, and I decided it should be sooner rather than later. I built this comp almost 5 years ago and the only thing I did with my RAM was put the original stick in

krazydriver

for memory timing most motherboards have an auto timing feature where the check what the memory itself wants for speeds.Check what cpu-z shows for the current memory timing and voltages and check that against what the manufacturer says the memory should be doing. If they are different then set the memory specs to the manufacturer recommendations in the BIOS. Otherwise I don't really recommend messing with it.

If you really want to start screwing with it more read up on overclocking(google overclocking there's quite a few good sites), to find out what the timings actually mean, and how the voltage correlates to the timing/frequency of the ram.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”