Dual air intake manifold retrofit for 2006 M35

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
bigpun71
Car: 2006 M35S

I'm trying to find out if you can take the dual air intake manifold from a '08 or '09 M35 and retrofit that to a '06 M35? If anyone has done this or knows of someone who has please let me know as I'm really curious to know as that would be a nice retrofit although I know I'll have to probably clear a little space in the engine bay.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

No you cannot. You need two throttle bodies to control airflow properly, and the ECU in the 2006 and 2007 do not have the proper configuration for that. You also cannot simply take an ECU from the 2008+ year since the engine is a bit different as well. You also cannot simply bolt on the 08+ intake manifold and TBs and then take the signal from two throttle bodies and merge them directly to the ECU, it will not work due to the way the PWM signal is done as well as needing error correction and compensation of the PWM signals to keep the throttle bodies in sync.

There are 3 ways you can accomplish this, two are very expensive ($3000+) and one is cheap but requires technical knowledge of electrical engineering, software coding, and engine tuning.
1st, there is a company I think out of California that will sell you a dual intake kit and the necessary hardware to make the dual intake fully work and be read properly by the ECU. I cannot find the bookmark I used to have of their website, but I believe the cost was around $3500. They will not sell you just the adapter harness to make dual intakes work either, I already asked them a while back. They will only sell the full kit with the intakes and all.
2nd, you can buy a very expensive Haltech ECU that supports dual intakes and everything else necessary. I believe the plug n play kit for our cars is something like $4000, and on top of that still requires a dyno tune at a shop when installed. which will bring the cost up another thousandish. This might be a fine way to go if you plan to do big turbos on the engine, since you would want a nice Haltech ECU for tuning that anyway.
3rd, you could use an arduino and various shield modules to take in the inputs from the throttle bodies, and write your code to somehow merge the two signals into one, as well as take the ECU signal being sent to the throttle bodies and split it to send to both the ones you have, as well as do error correction of the signals to keep both TBs in sync properly for proper airflow to both sides of the engine. This would be cheap to get the hardware, but you would need to know how to take the signals and do all the necessary coding and error correction of the signals otherwise you could damage your engine with improper airflow.

Personally what I want to do at some point is to take the intake manifold from a GTR VR38DETT engine and bolt that onto the VQ35DE engine. It is a sick looking intake, and would work well with twin turbos in this car. Unfortunately, it does require that Haltech ECU to put it into our older cars, and would require machining a custom adapter from the engine to the manifold since the bolt pattern and tube shape is different. Maybe down the line when I go back to a built engine again.

bigpun71
Car: 2006 M35S

Thanks for all the information! It's been hard to find out any details online about this topic. Also, I looked up the intake manifold for the GTR and you're right, that is a dope design. I'll probably install the Kinetix intake manifold to start with then decide if I want to spend the cash to do the conversion if/when I decide to supercharge my M. Thanks again! :dblthumb:

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”