DS front, slight grinding/vibration @ highway speeds

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
apeg
Car: 2008 Ex35

I first noticed when I was driving @ highway speeds the car was a bit louder than usual. Very subtle but something was different. This only happens @ highway speeds.

At slow speeds, I was not able to notice any noise, until I accelerated hard while on a circular onramp for the highway. The noise is exaggerated and more evident when making a hard-wide right turn.

I brought the car to my local mechanic who just balanced my tires and sent me on my way… zero change to the noise I’m hearing.

Any suggestions?

- I just doubled checked to make sure the dust shield wasn't rubbing against the rotor and it looks good.
- I can't say for certain, but it does seem like coasting is a bit worse.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If it's getting louder in turns then it's almost certainly a bearing starting to go south. Probably lefthand side if it's most audible on right turns.

apeg
Car: 2008 Ex35

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 pm
If it's getting louder in turns then it's almost certainly a bearing starting to go south. Probably lefthand side if it's most audible on right turns.
Mechanics notes:
"no issue with wheel bearings, front left lower ball joints have a very minimal play"

Should I bring it back to the mechanic who found nothing?

macgiver

I would'nt trust that Jagoff again .
But , I always say - " don't just listen to me ..... "

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

When a bearing first starts to go, very often the only way to detect it is with a stethoscope. Barely-audible clicks in a slowly-spinning bearing can turn into a horrendous hum under load at road speed, and it may not have any obvious play if all the mechanic did was give it a shake. The big bearings in CV's can also make noises that are "selective" with load and steering angle. The one thing you can be fairly certain of is that it's rotational and in the axles or wheels. Stuff like ball joints and sway bars will clunk or chatter but they won't hum or hiss, and noises from "shared" rotating parts like a tranny or rear driveshaft won't usually change with steering or sideways G's.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS - Ball joints should have zero play, so I'd get that double-checked too. No amount of play in a ball joint is acceptable, and any decent technician knows that.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”