Dry Sump Pump

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
Bart

Can anyone suggest a good US made preferably dry sump pump for a VH41?
I read some have different lobes/veins inside the pump, some have gears?
Should I get a 4 or 5 stage?
Ive seen a few brands on the net but never bought one before, would be great to get every ones idea on one.

hellbilly66

you cant go wrong with moroso. id do some searching and find out if a 3,4, or 5 stage would be best for your build.

ive also heard these guy make pretty good stuff.
http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/

Bart

Thanks mate, I was think Barnes, any good? Ive seen Moroso, will have a look into it, thought while the Aussie dollar is good i should consider buying up as much as possible from the good old USA. Already bought titanium DEI turbo heat shields, Aeromotive A1000fuel pump. The pump was like $330 US and here theyre about 800ish.
How do i work out if i need 3, 4, 5 stage? Havnt seen a dry sump schematic for a while, im guessing the pump will suck one from the tank, two from the sump and one from each head. One to feed the engine. This makes it 5 stage right?

hellbilly66

never seen a barnes pump in use but after a quick search, they seem to be pretty good.

when it comes to how many stages you need it depends on how much crankcase presssure you have. which can vary depending on displacement, rpm, stroke, boost, ring tension, piston skirt length, cylinder wall clearence and even camshaft timing/overlap.

how is this engine being built? what are you using it for? IMHO i think a 4 stage should be plenty for your engine.

also you dont need to suck oil from the head, just from the pan. and on a side note, its a good idea to polish, debur and massage all the oil drain backs. hope this helps.

Bart

Its a standard VH41 Japanese spec, with 2 GT3071R turbos on 6psi. Its basically in its first phase so more work will be done later, such as boring and stroking etc

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

I'm happy to see another person going to a dry sump!

Have you already worked out how you're going to drive the pump?

Do you have a budget for a pump? It's really difficult to find GOOD information on dry sumps online. Not a lot of guys run them, and the guys who know a lot about them aren't always posting their secrets on the internet.

It varies from person to person, but a general consensus seems to be that Auto Verdi and Frank Weiss pumps are the very best. Auto Verdi is made in Sweden, and Frank Weiss pumps are made in the US. I ended up with an Auto Verdi pump that I got a great deal on, but I bought some fittings from Frank Weiss and they are unbelievable. Some of the nicest machined pieces I've had my hands on. After dealing with them, if I had $3000 USD to spend on a pump it would be from Frank Weiss. Parts for my Auto Verdi are hard to locate, and they only have a single US distributor and repair facility. The oil inlet has a special flange that led me on a month long search to find the correct fitting that's only made by one company and cost $100. It also required a special hub to attach the pulley to the shaft and it's not a standard size.

Barnes pumps are supposed to be very good as well and used by Nascar teams frequently. Peterson and Dailey Engineering pumps are very nice as well. The Peterson and Dailey pumps are cheaper...about $1200-1500 USD for a 5 stage depending on options. I'm sure the Moroso units work great but they don't specialize in dry sump parts like the majority of the other companies.

Do you plan on trying on sealing the engine and pulling a vacuum or still running the PCV system?

Bart

Advantages and disadvantages of gear or lobe type veins?
Dont know about sealing the engine or how im going to drive the pump. What brackets to use to mount the pump. Im all ears though

kingkilburn
Car: '93 240SX

I would look into GM's LS engines. They must have spent millions researching how they would implement a dry sump in a smallblock production car and have had enough time to get it right.

Bart

kingkilburn wrote:I would look into GM's LS engines. They must have spent millions researching how they would implement a dry sump in a smallblock production car and have had enough time to get it right.
As much as i drool over those LS engines they do seem to have a semi dry sump.
Been looking at a few dry sump pumps online/ebay. I will have a look at some of the stock car websites next.

Bart

Bart wrote:
kingkilburn wrote:I would look into GM's LS engines. They must have spent millions researching how they would implement a dry sump in a smallblock production car and have had enough time to get it right.
As much as i drool over those LS engines they do seem to have a semi dry sump.
Been looking at a few dry sump pumps online/ebay. I will have a look at some of the stock car websites next.
I was thinking of something like this
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5073756-peterso ... chevy.html

http://pitstopusa.com/c-134100-oil-syst ... pumps.html

albertbill21
Car: osaka 2012

which model of sump pump is best ?

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”