Drummers, list your favorite brand of hardware, and why.

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

So, I have talked to a few drummers, and they always tell me how much they like this brand, or that brand. When I ask them why, well, I never get an answer that tells me what I want to know...it's always, "because they make the best stuff".

For me, it really depends on what the hardware is.

Cymbal stands, I like just about any brand that uses gear nothed tilters, which is pretty much the most secure way to hold a tilter. There's no chance of a joint slipping with a bunch of teeth holding it in place.

As far as tom mounts, Pearl all the way. They use the same style of gear notched tilters on the tom mounts. Tama and Yamaha with their ball and socket style mounts, while offering more adjustibility, simply don't impress me.

I have seen to many of those types of mounts where the clamping plate blows the threads on the screws holding them together.

Also, those small little pins that hold the toms just look very weak.

Well, that's my take, how about you?

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

tama double iron cobra kick pedal, because of its utter badassery (favorite part of current setup)

pearl for everything else, because of overall quality, how solid everything feels, innovative features like you mentioned, and ease of adjustability any way i like

throne included, ive got a pearl roadster, i dont see a need for anything more

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

nismofly wrote:
throne included, ive got a pearl roadster, i dont see a need for anything more
The Roadster throne is quite nice, but I miss my Gibralter bicycle throne I had with my first kit. That thing was uuber comfy.

And, I have to ask, what makes your Tama Iron Twin so much better than my Pearl P120 twin?

Not that I am saying that mine is better, but no one, and I mean no one, that I have ever talked to has ever been able to explain to me why it's "the best out there". I have played the twin, albiet for about 3 minutes at the Mad one's lair, and it is a fine product, but, in my own opion, the only advantage that I see it has over my pedal is it's smoothness.

Maybe I just need to actually sit down and play a live show with it once to see how it feels.

TMS, think you could loan me your pedals for a weekend worth of a live show in April? I will send you my pedals as colateral so you won't be without.

thekage
Car: 98 Dodge Caravan, 98 Dodge Intrepid

As far as thrones go... PORK PIE! You cannot find a more comfortable throne. You CANT!... I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

As far as hardware, I realllly like Gibralter stuff. Its heavy made, stout, takes a beating, is very adjustable, ect... My Gibralter stands I have had for going on 10 years now and they look as awesome as the day I bought them.

I am not really a fan of Pearl stuff, probly because the stuff I have played on was abused and crappy cheap stuff to begin with. I might change my mind if I got to play on some their higher end stuff. I play on a 10 year old Mapex kit right now, the shells are pretty nice, nothing too fancy, with Gibralter hardware, Remo heads, Pro Mark sticks, and Zildjian cymbals. And the pork pie throne. I also have a Gibralter double pedal, but I never use it...

nismofly

C33LaurelRacer wrote:
The Roadster throne is quite nice, but I miss my Gibralter bicycle throne I had with my first kit. That thing was uuber comfy.

And, I have to ask, what makes your Tama Iron Twin so much better than my Pearl P120 twin?

Not that I am saying that mine is better, but no one, and I mean no one, that I have ever talked to has ever been able to explain to me why it's "the best out there". I have played the twin, albiet for about 3 minutes at the Mad one's lair, and it is a fine product, but, in my own opion, the only advantage that I see it has over my pedal is it's smoothness.

Maybe I just need to actually sit down and play a live show with it once to see how it feels.

TMS, think you could loan me your pedals for a weekend worth of a live show in April? I will send you my pedals as colateral so you won't be without.
see i paid $100 for my throne and i dont find $300 ones any more comfy, i dont get tired of sitting there no matter how long i play

the pedals, well, when i got them i just really liked the feel way better than anything else that was being sold at the time, i got them at GC so were talking i tried out probably 15 different double kick pedals and there was nothing else i liked anywhere near as much as these, smoothness, predictability, ease of playing them, setting them up how i like, everything

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I used to like Tama but the stands now are IMO not as good as they once were. The old Titan stuff was awesome. I went with Pearl stands this time because the shells I used were designed for tube mounts which is Pearl's style. I never had a problem with the Tama omniballs and would have gone with them if the drums called for L-rod style mounts. I am pleased with the Pearl stands, beefy and well finished.My wife just hooked me up with a Yamaha throne. I was looking at the Roc-N-Soc, good thing I was not in a hurry to buy it She noticed I was keyed towards a gas piston style throne and got the one Yamaha makes. It has four legs and can go really high. I was worried she may have not got a good one but she did her homework and really scored me a nice one. For pedals, I have Tama Iron Cobras. I like the old Iron Cobra better but the new ones are still great. The Pearl Eliminators look real nice too. I think most brand name pedals are good stuff. It's kind of hard to screw it up, I DO think the adjustability is getting a little rediculous. If your pedal needs an instruction manual it seems a little silly. Tension, beater angle, board postion is fine with me, I think mine may have a built in garage door opener.

nismofly

when did tama change the design?

i got pedals in 2002 and havent paid much attention since

themadscientist

I think in the early years of the new milenium. I have circa 94 pedal in addition to my 07 IC double.http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/prod...rea=2

nismofly

guess ive got the new ones, because this is exactly mine

themadscientist

I have those as well. My single pedal is the old style.

RBSilvia
Car: '89 RB25 S13 Coupe
'91 SR20 S13 Coupe

tama iron cobra double pedal here. i've only had like 3 pedals total, 2 being doubles, but the iron cobra is awesome. great response & POWER! I'd rather have relatively cheap shells with some a nice kick pedal and quality cymbals

Riceless
Car: 84 300zx turbo

I've been playing crappy pacific double pedals for around 7 years >.< The worst part of my kit by far.

I'm looking to upgrade, probably to iron cobras. They just feel better than dw's pedals to me. Anyone play the strap-drive model (or whatever it's called)? Never tried it but always been curious.

themadscientist

RBSilvia wrote:tama iron cobra double pedal here. i've only had like 3 pedals total, 2 being doubles, but the iron cobra is awesome. great response & POWER! I'd rather have relatively cheap shells with some a nice kick pedal and quality cymbals
You would probably dig my set then. It started as a drab el-cheapo set and is now much more.

Did the whole thing myself, very fun.zerothread/309557

rustydillard
Car: 1986 300zx and 1991 Sentra XE

I use pearl cymbal stand booms, gibraltar extention booms and pacific (cuz they were free lol) but i like the Pearl stands the best because they're real heavy duty so there's no chance of them falling over (low center of gravity due to heavy metal)

double bass pedals - i'm completely indifferent. I've used them all and still revert back to my pacific double pedal. I learned on it and will never like anything else. dw5000-9000's are way too fluid: there's no real resistance i guess it just seems too easy. the iron cobra is just ugly. pearl has no real significance in their design and honestly have no appeal in any aspect. my pacific gives me a single chain for my flexible ankle and a good strong spring to help excersize the calfs and a good range for lot's and lot's of power in the stroke.

CadetLD
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Im not a huge drummer. I mainly play guitar but back when i had some settlement money i spent a good chunk on a set of Trick Pro 1-V double bass pedals. They are the best by FAR. I have compared them side by side with the Axis Longboards. I dont have the longboard version of the Tricks but if you have smaller feet like me you wount have much of a problem heel-toeing. The Axis is a ***** to set up and requires constant tweaking and tightening. For instance, the extendable rod that conects the two pedals. its round on the inside and requires 3 allen head screws to keep it from slipping. Where as the Tricks are square inside and only need one drumkey to keep it from sliding in and out. The Tricks are so easy to set up and get both pedals EXACTLY the same. The Axis pedals are heavy and relativly un-responive compared to the Tricks. The Tricks stick to your feet nomatter how fast you go. To me they are well worth the extra money over the Axis.

As far as the pedals go I prefer the Tricks but my buddy is in love with the Axis longboards, and if there good enough for Chris Adler there probubly good enough for anybody. But if you play heel-up more than anything give the Tricks a try.

Weve been beating the crap ot of out Evans heads and they hold up pretty well so far... not much else to day about that.

Sofar weve cracked almost a whole set of Zildjian ZXTs, chinas, and other effects cymbals while the cheepo Woohan rock crash (wich takes the most abuse) has lasted FOREVER and still sounds good.

I love my Pork Pie Little Squealer snare and Joey Jordison sticks.

Ummmm and Gibralter clamp-on Booms rule.

Return to “The Music Room”