drum to disc brake conversion& suspention upgrades

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
strollpatrol620
Car: 76' 620 long bed, 85' 720 nap-z

any one out there know where I can find a drum to disc brake conversion kit for my 76' 620 2x4 pickup truck? I'm also looking ford any advise on suspention upgrades, mainly for the front , my truck has king pins. Thanks fellas

moparvwfreak
Car: 1973 Datusn 620 4 spd(sold), 1973 Datsun 620 5spd, 1993 BMW 325I, various VWs and now a CB7 Accord

there is a guy on Ratsun.net that has the stuff to convert to disk brakes. you can go one of two ways and that would be either custom brackets to mount the cals on teh kingpins, OR custom upper control arms to run the later 78+ steering knuckles.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

i suggest the upper control arms... as far as the disk brakes several people have done it before... i'm not sure if other model years are direct swap or not but if so you could steal some from another truck... mine for example came with disks up front

BURLEIGH
Car: Datsun 620 pickup

Hi Guys!

I'm new here, but have done a few little upgrades to the front end of my '77 620 that you may be interested in...

I switched to disks, Bilstein shocks and larger swaybar w/urethane bushings.

Here are the only pics of the brakes right now, but I'll try and get a few more detailed pics soon. I'll look back in my notes and give you all the specifics on the conversion in a day or so.

BTW my 3 yr old daughter loves to help daddy work on the truck!!

Charlie69
Car: 1966 Datsun 520

BURLEIGH wrote:Hi Guys!

I'm new here, but have done a few little upgrades to the front end of my '77 620 that you may be interested in...

I switched to disks, Bilstein shocks and larger swaybar w/urethane bushings.

Here are the only pics of the brakes right now, but I'll try and get a few more detailed pics soon. I'll look back in my notes and give you all the specifics on the conversion in a day or so.

BTW my 3 yr old daughter loves to help daddy work on the truck!!

With a helper like yours I would sit back and let her do it. She looks at home with a wrench in her hand... Great pictures thank you for sharing.

strollpatrol620

Thanks for the info bro. I've found a set of disc brake bracket mounts for my truck on ebay. It coast me $150.00 for both front bracket mounts. To complete the conversion I needed a set of front calipers from a late 90's D21 hardbody 4X4. I bought me a pair of 2001-02 ,2x4 rodeo rotors or a 201-02 honda passport rotors would work. Depending on wich rotor you use would determain the wheel offset so look out for that. O! and when you pull the calipsers make sure youguys get the mounting bracket that the caliper bolts on too. It coast me approx $250 total, on ebay if you buy the whole kit it coast over $500.00 alittle dumpster diving would save yous some money for more important things such as hitting the titty bar a?
Modified by strollpatrol620 at 11:50 AM 12/28/2009

BURLEIGH
Car: Datsun 620 pickup

No problem!

Be careful with those brackets off ebay as I tried those too. I had to modify them to the point that I could have just built some myself. I thought I would just save myself some time by getting an already built and tested bracket... From what I've heard though that doesn't happen too often so you may be OK with yours??

Yeah, my daughter is right at home where ever her Daddy is!!! She was actully helping there too as I couldn't hold the wrench in the right spot and turn the ratchet at the same time...

Good luck with your project!

strollpatrol620

my brackets bolted right up and fit like a glove. I guess I was one of the luck ones that got a good set.

hawaii_620
Car: 75 Datsun 620

I've done the same conversion with the brackets bought on ebay. Everything fit fine. But now I'm having a problem with my brake pedal sinking all the way to the bottom of the floor if the booster lines are hooked up.

Here is what I did so far:
I changed out the master cylinder to a new 280zx, new brake booster and rebuilt back drum setup completely. I've bleed the master on a bench (I think I did it correctly, don't know if I pushed the rod in far enough), but did the "two tubes back in the reservoir, till no bubbles" thing. Bleed the brake system with a friend, two man system, on all the brake lines with no bubbles. Pedal doesn't get firm till about almost half way down with the truck off (no booster assist), with the truck running, the pedal sinks to the floor. It does grab the brakes when at the bottom but not convincingly.

I don't know what else to do. Any tips on what to double/triple check again would be much appreciated as this has got me stumped.

I was reading on other forums that there are two different types of Master Cylinders, one that is made for a brake booster and one that is non-booster? Is this correct and could this be the problem?

wil620
Car: datsun 620 pick up 1500cc gml

Greetings, I am new to the forum and do not speak your language very well but I have a datsun 620 with drum brakes front and I like to have your help and can guide me with the conversion to disc brakes with technical data, measurements, parties, or vehicle that I can make you brake, you and I hope to improve my datsun 620, since half the world Ecuador say goodbye.

Return to “Datsun 620”