Driving Music

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Yea truth is i hate electronica... so i am biased.. sue me :)

aleph1
Car: 1990 240SX hatch MODS: class.

You have been summoned to appear at the San Diego Superior Court at 9:00am. :fruit

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

Wow, that whole electronic music and rap conversation was WAY out of control! I'll just say this.. I've been a drummer since I was 9 years old...I'm 25 now and I've been playing in bands my whole life. I've played piano for several years, and taught myself guitar and bass. We are always writing songs, experimenting, trying new things...and so on. It is a little insulting to hear people talk about the originality of rap and techno. I appreciate both forms of music, and recognize the talent of all those artists who are into that. But they are both entirely based on something that has already been done.. by a musician. Yes they are artists, yes they are poets, and yes they are VERY skilled... but very few are actually musicians. Don't flame me yet... I already said they are very talented, and I give them all kinds of credit, but it isn't a pure art form... it is a spin off from art. There is nothing wrong with that, and they have their own thing.... But I really haven't heard any original rap in 10 years or so. Techno is even worse... they all do different s***, but the format is damn near always the same. I would love to hear someone do to the rap or techno world, what Pink Floyd did to the music industry.. or more recently, System of a Down.... Both bands overhauled what people are used to hearing... I'm sure there are a few innovators out there that I haven't heard.. but nothing has reached me yet.

stretch240sx

that is a very good point. rapers and all take off of something already done. other than beat boxes that make the sounds from spiting and what not. but turn tables and all that are dont with pre recorded sounds. but past all that BASS PLAYERS RULE

aleph1

All i have to say is Aphex Twin. He was the most original artist since "techno" began. Techno is the worse electronic music style. Its all repetitive and boring.

Every music is simply a take off of the the music before it. Except for when cavemen hit bones together.

MaineExport

You are correct to say that all music forms are take-offs from a previous forms. Rock came from country and blues.. etc...etc. But you don't hear Geddy Lee sampling Ottis Reading! Electronic music and Rap generally lack actual instrumentation. It is an art form, and it is a spin off of music, I just don't see it as innovative or original anymore. I admit, there is lots of rap and electronic music I haven't heard... but I'm sure if something out there was as earth-shattering as RUN-DMC was in 1983.. I would have heard it by now. I don't dislike it, or hate it in any way, I'm just commenting on your conversation about it's originality, and I don't see how it is original in ANY way. Just my thoughts. I don't know how old you are, or if you were old enough to truely appreciate the origins of rap, but I was a kid when RUN-DMC and 2-Live-Crew were paving the way for rap to hit the main stream. I was just a little white-boy from the sticks in Vermont and when I heard that s*** for the first time... it blew my fuc#ing mind... since then.... nothing new..sorry.

FrEaK

where can i find that Caveman cd?

lol

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

for some hiphop gangstarr code of the streets thats some true hiphop an todays hip hop isnt hip hop its rap but the inustry wants to try an sell the nostalgia of where rap came from but why listen to hiphop when youve got a ton of fast paste punk rock music an real punk not this blink an sum41 crap

stretch240sx

thank you.... i finaly found someone who thinks blink and sum 41 are pop... all these "true hardcore punks" think its like street punk or some other junk.... street punk is like wanted dead or OC bombers....

but i like all types of music so....

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

Doesn't this bother anyone else? Maybe I'm confused, but I thought repo man wanted to know what people like to listen to when they drive.

Instead people seem to see this as an opportunity to bash other people's music. Shouldn't we have left the "my music is better than your music" attitude on the playground? And those of you who say "I like all kinds of music, but here is where you are wrong" are no different. Just because you're candy coating it doesn't mean you aren't picking a fight.

Lets see more posts like this:

Hi, my name is Kelley. I like lots of different music. My favorites are Alternative and Electronica.

No negativity, no criticism, no troll food. Anything else can go in the Ring.

aleph1

I just wanted to clear it up that electronic music takes skill and talent...I never said any music is crappy.

FrEaK

I've been trying to stop all the nation bashing but no one seems to listen so i decided to take a side this time...

boMex

I like country.....'specially when it's extra twangy

boMex

Oh and I also like Eskimo music :D

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

If Im with my girlfriend anything goes, but if Im heading for the beach to go surfing its all Jimmy Buffett.:bandit

stretch240sx

SC... its like biggest wave is like what 6 feet?

Bandit240
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

I've never had anything over 3feet here. Hell it seems like the only time I find them that good Im trying to paddle out.

stretch240sx

wow 3 feet.... i dont think weve ever been that low.... nah there have been some small days like that...

MaineExport

Xeromist wrote:Doesn't this bother anyone else? Maybe I'm confused, but I thought repo man wanted to know what people like to listen to when they drive.

Instead people seem to see this as an opportunity to bash other people's music. Shouldn't we have left the "my music is better than your music" attitude on the playground? And those of you who say "I like all kinds of music, but here is where you are wrong" are no different. Just because you're candy coating it doesn't mean you aren't picking a fight.

Lets see more posts like this:

Hi, my name is Kelley. I like lots of different music. My favorites are Alternative and Electronica.

No negativity, no criticism, no troll food. Anything else can go in the Ring.
Geez... I'd hate to get on a music thread and go way off topic with a discussion about.... well, I don't know... maybe... MUSIC! Instead we should continue to post replies about how everybody elses posts are off topic...

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

maineimport wrote:I'd hate to get on a music thread and go way off topic with a discussion about.... well, I don't know... maybe... MUSIC!
Hehe, I'm as much a debater as the next guy (sometimes gotten myself into trouble that way). It's when people start arguing back and forth about what music is BETTER that it gets annoying. Musical taste is subjective. With the exception of some extreme fringe stuff that doesn't fit musical constructs, there is no objective way to say that one piece is better than another.

Hey Bomex, what does eskimo music sound like? Seems like I've heard of it before, but can't remember.

MaineExport

Yes, you're right about that, there really is no sense debating which is "better". It's far too subjective, and really boils down to preference. There are some arguments that can be made about WHY people like a particular form of music.. and some people are just dead wrong about some of the arguments they make! I just thought you were telling us to stop discussing music.. sorry.

240SXy
Car: 1993 240SX coupe

I listen to Dragon Ash when I drive. Now that's JDM. "B-E-L-O-N-G japanese music technology..."PS:radioheadRATMThe RootsThe Beach Boys ('Shut Down' is great for driving!)Branford MarsalisBob MarleyDamian Marleyand the best driving record ever produced,The ROCKY soundtrack.Thank you.PPS: For good hip hop today try Damian Marley's Halfway Tree and wait for the new Roots cd. BTW, the Roots produce their music with actual instruments in the studio and live, and BT is a great poet, so maybe their's is the hardest style of music to play.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”