Driving impressions: M45 Sport vs. Porsche 993

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Peterofdevon
Car: 94T 70K, miss mannors, 96 Black on Black 72K, raw sex

I took one out last week and liked it better than my 1996 993 911 Cab (the last of the real Porsches) in every way. It was more "fun" and throttle responsive...you tap it...you go FAST. The Porsche had to be down shiffted perfectly and then wound up to give the same thrill. The M45 felt "rail like" in a twisty, the Porsche "swept into twisties and always felt on the "edge". The M45 S had a far better overall drivers feel to it.

I'm sure the track experience would be the polar opposite but I don't live at the racetrack.

I did not like the stock 14 speaker Bose system on the M, my 94 Q's bose system blows it away in musical realism (I'm a hifi reviewer for Stereophile mag). Did not hear the 18/19 speaker option bose system.

The seats are more comfy than the Porsche, the leg room is far superior and it has gobbs of headroom. I can do without all the gizmos and voice recog stuff...give me that plain old early Q dash and I'm a happy camper.

BTW, I did drive the AWD M35---this is a completely different car...sorry to you M35 owners but this is just a FAMILIY car with gagets galore!

I will buy a 07M45S and keep it with my 94Q (and see if it lasts as long as my Qs (91,93 and new 94)). I want to get a second or third year car to go himi.

You current owners....wow what a great car!!! Be proud when a 911 pulls up...your car is better!

Peter
Modified by Peterofdevon at 5:58 AM 10/29/2005

Edong t5
Car: M45

What's up Pete? Haven't driven a porsche 993, so I'll have to take your word for it . I'm glad you like the M45 Sport. The M's bose subwoofer needs more "oomph" even with the bass level at max. Any suggestions to improve this without converting the car into a moving showroom?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Peterofdevon wrote:I did not like the stock 14 speaker Bose system on the M, my 94 Q's bose system blows it away in musical realism (I'm a hifi reviewer for Stereophile mag). Did not hear the 18/19 speaker option bose system.

The seats are more comfy than the Porsche, the leg room is far superior and it has gobbs of headroom. I can do without all the gizmos and voice recog stuff...give me that plain old early Q dash and I'm a happy camper.

BTW, I did drive the AWD M35---this is a completely different car...sorry to you M35 owners but this is just a FAMILIY car with gagets galore!

I will buy a 07M45S and keep it with my 94Q (and see if it lasts as long as my Qs (91,93 and new 94)). I want to get a second or third year car to go himi.
Good, you can fill in for 911/Q45 now he sold his Q.

Interesting comment on the speakers, as I like the late 1994+ G50 Bose, except for a resonance around A=440 (maybe?). Ever swept your 94 for frequency response? You might be interested to know that the guys at McIntosh built out an early Q45 for the Japanese President when it was acquired by JVC.

Same for the M35x. I would suspect that, but I guess the real question in the marketplace is how does it do against the other AWD sedans?

I like your plan and thinking, although I don't think I have ever gone himi.
Modified by maxnix at 11:12 AM 10/30/2005

TXSJaybird

Sorry....what is "himi?"

Peterofdevon

himi=high milage

Scott in Houston
Car: M35 Sport, 996 Twin Turbo, Ford Explorer

That was one of the oddest posts I've seen on a forum in a while. Comparing a 993 to an M45 Sport? Even when comparing leg room? lolNow let me compare this apple I'm eating to the orange I ate yesterday.

Also, realize that you're comparing a 9 year old car to a new one.

I own a 996 Twin Turbo and an M. There is no comparison. They're totally different cars.

I'm glad you liked it, but please try not to compare it to a sports car.

Peterofdevon

Scott in Houston wrote:That was one of the oddest posts I've seen on a forum in a while. Comparing a 993 to an M45 Sport? Even when comparing leg room? lolNow let me compare this apple I'm eating to the orange I ate yesterday.

Also, realize that you're comparing a 9 year old car to a new one.

I own a 996 Twin Turbo and an M. There is no comparison. They're totally different cars.

I'm glad you liked it, but please try not to compare it to a sports car.
Scott,

With due respect; the M45S is a sports car abet a with 4 doors. Your 996 Turbo is very much a different car, but my thoughts stay as written; my 993 was bettered by the M45S! (for eveyday driving)

Peter of Devon

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Interesting comparison indeed!

I am surprised that the M45 Sport did that well in twisty handling situations (not day to day driving). Since I have never driven a Porsche (only been in a passenger in a 944 Turbo and that does not count), I don't know how to comment on this, except to say that I have to admit that I would have expected a true-blue "Sports Car" like the 993 to be better than an M45 in terms of handling in the twisties!

I have more to learn ...

Z

Scott in Houston
Car: M35 Sport, 996 Twin Turbo, Ford Explorer

Peterofdevon wrote:
Scott,

With due respect; the M45S is a sports car abet a with 4 doors. Your 996 Turbo is very much a different car, but my thoughts stay as written; my 993 was bettered by the M45S! (for eveyday driving)

Peter of Devon
I'm glad it was! I love the M35/45! Ours is amazing as well. For everyday driving, I can see your point for sure.

I'm a track-a-holic, so to define it as a true sports car is pretty difficult for me.

Ironically, I'm looking at getting a new M5 to replace my Turbo for every day driving and getting a spec miata for the track. Then it's best of both worlds! The m35 is my wife's primary car, and she's in heaven! It's an AWESOME car!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”