Drivers side part of hood won’t close!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
98_Q45

I’ve been trying all day to figure it out. It started a few weeks ago to where it seemed to have a small gap along the side, but nothing too noticeable. However, overtime it became more noticeable.

On the passenger side, the hood shuts firmly but almost too far down. The hood struts were bad, but I replaced the right side with one from the salvage that closed fully. Also retightened all the bolts. Didn’t work. I moved the metal cables around the firewall down, that didn’t work. Lubricated the hood hinge...nothing.

Any tips??

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Hood hinge was going to be my suggestion... If you see any difference left to right, it's probably bent.

Drake57
Car: 1992 Q45, 1990 Q45 (parts), 06 Sportster XLC, 85 XJ6, 08 4Runner, 89 Suburban 4WD, 75 Honda CT90

The front of the hood will stop going lower when it reaches the adjustable "bumper". The ride height rear of the hood depends on hood hinge adjustments. There are two bolts at each hinge, one closer to front of car, one closer to rear of car. If you add space between the hinge and the hood on the front bolt, the rear of the hood will ride lower. If you add space between the hinge and the hood at the rear bolt, the rear of the hood will ride higher. Space may be changed by adding or removing washer spacers, you may find washers that are open on one end (like a horse shoe) so that it is only necessary to loosen the bolt rather than to remove the bolt, when adding or removing space.

98_Q45

Thanks for both of the suggestions about the hood hinge. That would make sense considering I’m opening the hood atleast twice a week to check oil (due to the crankshaft seal leaking). And the hood slams shut hard each time, but I’ve been just gentle letting it down versus letting it fall. Idk if my mechanics have been doing the same though 🤔

I’ll look at those bolt adjustments....

Drake57
Car: 1992 Q45, 1990 Q45 (parts), 06 Sportster XLC, 85 XJ6, 08 4Runner, 89 Suburban 4WD, 75 Honda CT90

Unfortunately, @ least on the early Q45s there is a tendency of the inner truss work of the hood to weaken and fold at the point where the gas struts attach, leaving one with an ugly arch midway in one side or other or both of the hood. Some owners patch by attaching reinforcement, though I wouldn't recommend it, I brazed mine, and it's held for years. Nowadays, wire welders work well for body sheet metal, and the heat is so localized it should be easily possible to repair the rib, without bubbling the exterior paint, if one is good and careful.

98_Q45

Drake57 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 am
Unfortunately, @ least on the early Q45s there is a tendency of the inner truss work of the hood to weaken and fold at the point where the gas struts attach, leaving one with an ugly arch midway in one side or other or both of the hood. Some owners patch by attaching reinforcement, though I wouldn't recommend it, I brazed mine, and it's held for years. Nowadays, wire welders work well for body sheet metal, and the heat is so localized it should be easily possible to repair the rib, without bubbling the exterior paint, if one is good and careful.
This was a good clue! I checked around the hood latch and struts, I just couldn’t find anything out of place. So I looked at the hinge (not the strut, but the hing that actually holds the hood on)...and sure enough, it must have been warped or something because I took the bolts off of those and moved it by hand a few times and lubricated in case it was “stuck”. Before that, it was starting to make loud creaking noises...

Well it’s very hard to do it when you have bad struts that won’t hold the hood, as it becomes wobbly once those bolts come off. But I was able to somewhat move it around to where I got the hood gap to become a little less noticeable. It also opens more smoothly as well. But, I may need to try to adjust it again without the hood struts. Just hard to do with 1 person. Spent enough time with it as it is. Trying to avoid a trip to the body shop/removing the fender.

I have this issue with my other car the Maxima, but it’s the drivers side trunk that has a gap and always looks unlocked 😒

ZiprHead
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45 base

I got replacement gas struts for my hood support very cheaply on eBay.

98_Q45

I picked some up for the Maxima awhile back that was like 40 something at advanced. I don’t use eBay as much though as amazon... what brand?

ZiprHead
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45 base

I don't remember the brand. It was a couple years ago. Actually, I don't think there even was a brand mentioned. They were cheap and I needed them quickly. The quality was good and they work fine. I think I paid 12 bucks for the pair.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”