Drivers power window...slow and now auto-up is gone

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
dbaxRonin
Car: 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
2010 Infiniti G37x AWD Coupe (Traded in)
2001 Infiniti i30L (Traded in)

The last few months, the front window on my drivers side of my 16 Q50 RS has had bouts of lethargy. Most of the time it is really slow to wind itself backup. Some days it seems worse than others, other times it seems completely OK. Oddly enough in the deep freezes we get from time to time here in Milwaukee are when it seems to work the best.

Well the other day I was paying for a car wash and it was telling me to drive in, and of course it was then that it just stopped going up altogether. It slowwwwly crawled about half way up and then just stopped. I shut off the car and turned it back on, still wouldn't go. It wasn't until I opened the door and closed it that it would finally go back up (slowly again, but finally it did go). Hasn't reoccurred since then but I am willing to bet it will at some point.

Now about a week later, just out of nowhere the auto-up no longer works. Auto-down on it is fine, just won't go back up unless I keep the button depressed...like a heathen. Doesn't matter if the window is down a little or all the way, the auto-up just doesn't work at all.

Anyone have any recommendations on what might be going on? I'm out of warranty for an issue like this...so if I am going to need to pull the door card to address it, how hard are they to pull off on these? Used to be any car I got I would immediately tear apart to get at the speakers, but those days are well behind me so I haven't done anything like that on this yet. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

dbaxRonin

Naturally a day after I posted this, auto-up started working again on it's own after an hour into a road trip and everything has worked fine since. /shaking head

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I want to say I recall something that causes this, because the same thing happened to mine. Have you tested your battery lately? It may be getting weak and causing this, because mine was toast and I didn't even know because the car was still starting fine. Checked the voltage and found out the battery was shot. Low voltage could cause electric motors to function slowly if they're not getting enough current to them. Just a shot in the dark...

If this ever happens again though, here's how you fix it and you may have done this by accident, which is why it started working again:

1. Turn ignition on, but do not start vehicle(Make sure door is shut).
2. Roll window more than half way, or completely.
3. Immediately roll window back up, HOLDING the switch the entire time and do not release when it stops.
4. Hold switch in up position for 4-5 sec after rolling up.
5. Test function and see if the auto roll-up function has returned.

This should solve the issue every time if you run into it again. It's a common sequence on all Nissan/Infiniti vehicles with automatic windows.

dbaxRonin

Thanks Kompresshun, I'll keep that procedure in mind if that happens again. I certainly didn't stumble upon doing that procedure. I was on a 2 hour trip and when I set off the auto-up still wasn't working...half way through my trip it just started to work on its own again.

I don't think the issue is with the battery. The slow roll is only on the one window, the rest all function just fine and I would presume a low-voltage situation would be evident in all of them if that were the case. My thought is that either the motor is just worn, or perhaps the track/cable is getting bound up somewhere. Maybe when it warms up I will try and pull the door panel and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”