Driver side power window needs a little help. Thoughts on how to fix?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
s8epilot
Car: 1993 300ZX 2 seater Normally Aspirated

Hello all,

I am a long time Z owner (1993 NA 2 seater, 180K miles, bought it in 1998) and have often read the useful information here but just yesterday joined the forum and now I'm a first time poster. A few weeks ago my driver side window started acting wonky. It just happened out of the blue one day when I went to roll it up.

I have done a bit of research here on this forum and other places to try to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. I'm not sure if it is the motor going weak, if the scissor mechanism is somehow out of alignment, if the power amplifier is going out, etc. So I am looking for suggestions from folks on what you think could be going wrong. I understand to get to the motor, the lifter mechanism, etc. will require taking the door panel off and I have read the documentation on that and think I can handle taking it off. But before I take it off I had the thought perhaps folks here might have some idea on what I need to do. So to help with that I made this video to document the problem:

https://youtu.be/s3uWTxUMppI

Thanks in advanced for your time, ideas, advice, etc. I'm interested in trying to repair this myself but had the thought that before I take the door panel cover off if I could get an idea from folks here on what you think the problem likely is then maybe I can try to source some parts before taking the panel off so that when I do assuming it is what people think then I could do this as a one day or weekend job.

Ryan

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Take it apart, clean it up, lube it up. It's not difficult, just a bit fiddly.

s8epilot

So I got as far as the attached picot using this guide:

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/stereo/ ... ml#replace

that was super helpful.

But how do I get further to get to where the rollers are? I see a number of screws and bolt heads. Does anyone know of a guide on which bolts to take out next? I can probably just start unbolting stuff but thought I would ask around first. I have googled a bit and found threads where folks talk about replacing the rollers but never specifics on which bolts to take out to get to the door seizor mechanism.

Thanks in advanced!

Ryan
Attachments
Door facade off.jpg

s8epilot

This video helped me get out the scissor lift thingy. I think that is where the problem lies. Just plugging that guy into the switch unit it behaves the same as the window did. It will go for a little bit then it will kind of stop and keep making noise, if I push on the wheel I can get it to keep moving, etc.

This video was super helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAU1qLQjAwA

Ryan
Attachments
ducttape2.jpg
ducttape1.jpg

s8epilot

I ended up buying a used regulator (I guess that is what that scissor lift thing is called) and installed that and the window is working again like before. Not sure if that is just a temporary fix or if it will last for years but it is working now. Thanks everyone for all the help! I will probably be posting more questions in the near future. :)

Ryan

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”