Driver side door lock not working?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

Wife called me today said the driver side doorlock isn't working. The key, the App, the fob and the button in the car don't unlock the door anymore.

Any ideas? Only the front driver side door. This is a 2018 Rogue.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Most likely a bad actuator, but could also be fatigued wires in the umbilical connecting the door to the car. The umbilical rubber is just grommeted and pulls loose at both ends, it's worth peeling it back and inspecting the harness for tiny splits and breaks before assuming the actuator is bad. This is how the umbilical comes loose...

Rogue Door Harness Umbilical.png
...and this is the sort of damage you're looking for...

Rogue Door Harness Damage.png
If you find a problem, replace the door harness. Every so often the factory twists a door harness opposite the natural coiling direction of the wires, and fatigue is the result. For whatever reason, it's more common on gen2 Rogues than other models. Since the whole bundle will be fatigued, any repair you make is pretty much guaranteed to cause failures elsewhere in the bundle, so it won't last. If everything checks out, then you can be pretty confident it's just a bum actuator.

howie411

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:58 pm
Most likely a bad actuator, but could also be fatigued wires in the umbilical connecting the door to the car. The umbilical rubber is just grommeted and pulls loose at both ends, it's worth peeling it back and inspecting the harness for tiny splits and breaks before assuming the actuator is bad. This is how the umbilical comes loose...

Rogue Door Harness Umbilical.png
...and this is the sort of damage you're looking for...

Rogue Door Harness Damage.png
If you find a problem, replace the door harness. Every so often the factory twists a door harness opposite the natural coiling direction of the wires, and fatigue is the result. For whatever reason, it's more common on gen2 Rogues than other models. Since the whole bundle will be fatigued, any repair you make is pretty much guaranteed to cause failures elsewhere in the bundle, so it won't last. If everything checks out, then you can be pretty confident it's just a bum actuator.
Hmm I'll take a look, thanks. my wife said it was working today, but makes sense if the wires are starting to fray.

howie411

So finally got a chance to take the Rogue in today since my wife said it was getting worse. The dealership said the actuator was going bad. The cost to replace it was going to be $950 (parts + labor). Luckily I had bought a Extended warranty on the vehicle so I only owe $100. Seems crazy the door locks are going bad at 40k miles and less then 5 years.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I remember when my dealership said they needed to replace the actuator for $600.

Funny thing is that they never charged a diagnostic fee or probably never looked inside because it was child proof locked inside the door.

Personally I said the hell with that b.s. and took it home to take it apart myself. The way I unlocked the child security lock was by cutting a credit card a certain way so I can hook the latch and open it. I found out the ball broke loose from the cable, so I took the ripped cable end and tied the frayed wire around where the ball attached. It’s been good for the last decade.

Do I think you’re getting ripped off? Hell yeah because my rip off was $350 dollars below your estimate.

Technically I was not ripped off since i mcguyvered it myself. Twisted the cable to save $600. Still $100 cheaper then your final cost.
:domo:

Return to “Rogue Forum”