Driver seats "moves" forward a little when stoping hard

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

Hi there

As per the subject, when I stop suddenly and "hard" i feel that the driver's seat "moves" forward slightly perhaps by half a centimeter. Have other noticed this?

I have not tried the passenger seat but I might.

»Thanks
Last edited by CDNicecube on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

My Seat does NOT do this.

Is there a typo... highlighted in BOLD? Should it be "Passenger"?
CDNicecube wrote:Hi there

As per the subject, when I stop suddenly and "hard" i feel that the driver's seat "moves" forward slightly perhaps by half a centimeter. Have other noticed this?

I have not tried the driver seat but I might.

»Thanks

zarar
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Do you hear any sounds when it moves slightly? Possibly a click or something (When it moves, than goes back in place)?

CDNicecube

Hello EX. Indeed I meant "passenger" in the second sentence (and corrected it). I have not tried it on the pass side.

Indeed, Zarar, I hear a click when it moves back in place after the forward momentum has ended. Do you? I will try again tomorrow. I will try changing the seat's position. Perhaps it is set somewhere where it is mid way on the rail or something... But I like that position! Feels comfortable to me. If it continues, I will bring it in to have the dealer look at it.

Ice

zarar
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Yes, I hear it too on my driver seat when I have a short hard brake and the driver seat rocks back and forth. It caught my attention, more or less sounds like it comes the seats brackets. No issues with the front passenger side, only driver seat. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked, I haven't thought of it much of an issue. Will admit first time I noticed it I thought my driver seat was going to snap only because it was unexpected. It only happens if the car gets a really good jerk and the seat rocks. Having said that, I don't think its a big issue maybe a small design flaw where the seat gets position on a certain spot its just not as "tight" as the other angles but still seems very solid, I don't expect the seat will have any issues.

gofast24
Car: 2009 FX50S / All Options / Black w/Wheat

I think this is designed in to get you closer to the air bag during an impending front end collision (LOL- I couldnt resist)

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

CDNicecube... did you get this problem resolved?

CDNicecube

Thanks for asking, EXceptional, but not yet. I am not a big guy so hopefully I did not break the seat or something and it must have been present since day 1 and did not notice because, well, I got the car in November and I try not to break hard on snow for obvious reasons.

I am at 11.500 km so I will bring it in within a month for my second service and will have the dealer look at it, as well as other minor issues such as the driver side mirror reflecting a warped image (they agreed and have ordered a driver side mirror). Will keep the forum posted on the outcome.

Ice

Tasman
Car: 2011 EX35 - All Options

I had the this issue with my 2003 G35. Infiniti issued a TSB for that year/model as it was not an uncommon problem that called for replacing the driver's seat rails. Problem fixed.

allthatjazz
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx EX35 Tech

I have had the same problem. I have not had it fixed as I keep forgetting to mention it when I bring my car into the dealership for servicing.

CDNicecube

Hi all

Brought to the dealer for a check and they confirm the problem but told me that their tech tried a few other EX35 and they all did that. But the service manager called me the day after and suggested I try lowering the seat to see if this helps. He told me that doing so helps. It is already lowered so... He suggested different seat positions, which i am trying this Monday. He was reassuring insofar as he mentioned that he would fix it if it did not help.

Can someone find the TBS for the G35? Where can I find it?

They also changed my passenger mirror that distorted the image. It is still distorted, and in fact, seems worse. Not impressed so far by the workmanship at that dealer. At least they seem agreeable to doing "something"... I'll keep you all posted.

Reefrf

I have noticed this same issue on my 2011 EX. But have not mentioned it to the dealer yet.

Tasman

Service Bulletin Num : ITB02080 Date of Bulletin: ?
Type: Coupe and Sedan
Component: DRIVER SEAT
Summary: DRIVER SEAT ROCKS
IF YOU CONFIRM: The driver seat cushion feels loose; • "Rocks" back and forth and/or makes a "pop" / "click" noise. • Usually when the vehicle accelerates from a stop or when making a turn.
Action: Replace the front Seat Lifter Link Bracket Assembly with a new one-P/N 87463-AM501.

Reefrf

Tasman wrote:Service Bulletin Num : ITB02080 Date of Bulletin: ?
Type: Coupe and Sedan
Component: DRIVER SEAT
Summary: DRIVER SEAT ROCKS
IF YOU CONFIRM: The driver seat cushion feels loose; • "Rocks" back and forth and/or makes a "pop" / "click" noise. • Usually when the vehicle accelerates from a stop or when making a turn.
Action: Replace the front Seat Lifter Link Bracket Assembly with a new one-P/N 87463-AM501.
So what does this mean exactly? Do I mention this "service bulletin" to my dealer? Not really to sure how to address. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tasman

All that it means is that Infiniti acknowledged and fixed a similar problem in the older G35s. I do not see how it could be used to address the issue you are having with the EX. If they do not provide a fix for your vehicle or claim "is is normal", have them demonstrate the same effect on another Infiniti model. I would always escalate the problem beyond your local dealer. That is the only way that Infiniti Corp learns of possible repetitive problems with a vehicle to ultimately issue a TSB. Good luck.

Wally26
Car: 2008 EX35

Had the same problem on my 2008 EX35 with 19k. Dealer said Infiniti knew about it, and replaced the rails no problem. Its now tight as can be.

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

My 08 seat also does this. It is disturbing.

CDNicecube

Hello all

To close the loop I went to the dealership who ordered a new driver seat. They showed me the invoice and it was 4.9xxx CDN$ !!! It solved the problem. Now the seat is rock solid and does not move anymore. They did the repair under warranty. I am happy but was surprised by the cost of the seat. 5k for a seat. Wow. They did not argue at all and were great at wanting to solve this so that my experience was top notch.
Last edited by CDNicecube on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wally26
Car: 2008 EX35

My seat was fixed..was...Now the seat back has developed a little play in it..rrrrr. I will be bringing it in to the dealer soon to have all the other defects addressed too..washer nozzles drooling, steering rubbing with a sharp turn to the right..not left, and most recent..I have had a hard time getting my car out of park, it takes a few pulls on the trigger before it releases. They have my replacement roof rails in too. Otherwise, its been a great car at 21,000 miles, and a little over 2 years! I'll post all the fixes as soon as they happen.

Reefrf

I had this same problem in my 2011 EX. I brought it to the dealer, they agreed & said they would order the new rails & replace. It turned out 2 engineers came to review it & compared it to other brand new ones & found one worse than mine & some better. Now it is fixed & very tight.

CDNicecube

Me again
They fixed mine but now the set back (near where the elbows would be) rubs on the center console. It makes a "leather on leather noise" which I usually like (;-) but not when I drive!

I vaguely recall that we can adjust the position of the center console a little. Can someone guide in how to do so? I can't find the post referring to this anymore!

Thanks!

Tnclose
Car: Infiniti QX60

I had a similar issue 2014 Infiniti QX60, I hit a deer so maybe that I hit the brakes hard. My drivers seat moved forward so that I was very close to the steering wheel, thankfully that the airbag did not deploy. Sounds like I need to take it to an Infiniti dealer.

Bingle
Car: 2012 EX35 Journey AWD

I have a 2012 and have the moving seat issue. Car is still under the factory warranty and is also CPO.

The seat moves slightly when both stopping and starting. I bought this car used 2 years ago, and since have noted it the 3 times I have had it in for service at Nalley Infiniti - Marietta, GA. Each time I have been told it was “normal” or “within spec”.

Most recently (picked up the car today) I escalated to Infiniti Consumer Affairs and was told that they would not offer any repair option. The technician who evaluated the issue said that he could only feel the movement under “extreme stopping” and it only moved 1 mm and that was within spec. How, I asked, can anyone offer a measurement driving a car in an “extreme stopping” situation?

I can feel the seat shift even under “grandma” driving conditions and as I told the Consumer Affairs person, there really shouldn’t be any play in it under any circumstance - apparently this is OK by Infiniti’s standards as they confirmed that other EX’s do this.

I’m very disappointed with their stance on this especially seeing that some have had this satisfactorily resolved. I was told that replacing the seat rails would not solve the problem even though I pointed them to this thread which contradicts that claim.

In any event, I thought I’d document my experience here. Is this a deal breaker for me with the brand going forward? Probably not but it does give me pause as I question Infiniti’s tolerance for things such as this and their willingness to work with their customers.

As an aside - my service adviser was very helpful and suggested escalating to Infiniti corporate. The kicker for me as it all came down to one tech's opinion.

Brooke50
Car: Infiniti ex35

Hi I am new here. And my 08 ex35 driver and passenger side does the same thing.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

My '08 with 113K miles is starting to exhibit this behavior as well. I have noticed it on occasion, though it is very subtle. Given the age and mileage on my car, it does not really bother me. The '08 is a first year model and I didn't expect all of the bugs to get ironed out during the vehicle development. If I were more picky about this stuff, I would have considered a Lexus, in it's third or later model year of a redesign.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”