1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So...This one's a dilemma. An irritating one.

I really enjoyed the PS3 demo for the game. The cars drive VERY nicely. They feel excellent. The controls are superb. And individual dynamics feel varied and suited to each car. The TT-S even "feels" AWD, even though you get a lot of rear wheelspin.
The game looks beautiful, too, though I kept thinking through the whole demo just how badly console games need better AA. SO MANY JAGGIES. Character faces stand out as maybe the best I've ever seen in a game, though lip-synching still isn't up to HL2 standards (why are we still catching up with 7 years ago?!).

Unfortunately, it's a Ubisoft title. And I don't give that company money. I've been boycotting them for a while now for their idiot DRM attitude. I WAS kind of set to consider maybe buying the game anyway after they changed the always-on DRM to verify-on-launch. But then the whole From Dust bowel explosion got all over everything and I'm less willing than ever to send my dollars Ubisoft's way. So I doubt I'll be enjoying this seemingly fine game. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 2901034249

Anyway, seems like a fun game. It's a shame the devs are too stuck in competitiveland to realize that a free-roam-with-friends multiplayer mode would increase replay value a million times over. That's the only fun I ever had with GTA4, and BOY was it fun. In a game that's NOT complete overgrittified self-impressed grey failure, it would be even MORE fun.

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

boycotting ubisoft?? man that means you're missing out on the Assassin's Creed games

hitbychance
Car: 2008 350z
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L hemi

the demo was ok, free roam missing is a fail but, one thing i noticed is a haze over the screen it just looks weird to me , almost like trying to emulate the sun but it kind of fails.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

orangeNblue wrote:boycotting ubisoft?? man that means you're missing out on the Assassin's Creed games
Yup. I've borrowed 1 and 2 from friends, though.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Ah, so you're the vegetarian that eats meat when someone else is cooking, huh? lol

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

Encryptshun wrote:Ah, so you're the vegetarian that eats meat when someone else is cooking, huh? lol
:chuckle:

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Encryptshun wrote:Ah, so you're the vegetarian that eats meat when someone else is cooking, huh? lol
:chuckle: Amusing analogy, but it doesn't quite fit.

I choose not to SUPPORT Ubisoft. Whether I PLAY the game or not has no bearing on that. It's my MONEY that matters. And principle. On the one hand, I don't want to be a part of the larger collective that's effectively telling Ubisoft "it's okay" by buying those games anyway, and adding sales and profits to legitimize the use of that DRM in any way. And on the other hand, I'd feel hypocritical to be such an outspoken critic of such things while still doing the above.

On the subject of From Dust, though, it looks like the developer is working on a patch designed to remove the crummy DRM there. Which is a good thing, for sure. Now if they'd just clean up the porting work, it'd be a game worth buying.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
:chuckle: Amusing analogy, but it doesn't quite fit.

I choose not to SUPPORT Ubisoft. Whether I PLAY the game or not has no bearing on that. It's my MONEY that matters. And principle.
My principles wouldn't let me play the game at all. Whether my money or someone else's paid for the game is beside the point, I would still be playing a game from a publisher/developer that had a policy/procedure in place that I fundamentally disagreed with.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I don't see how it matters. The people I'm borrowing the game from would have paid for the game whether I play it or not. Hell if you ask the idealist-greedy publishers, they'd probably say borrowing games equals lost sales since I played the game without paying them anything. The only person not playing the game at all would affect is me. I'm not interested in affecting me, I already know my own opinion on the matter. I'm interested in affecting Ubisoft, and they measure success in profits and sales. I don't add to either.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I totally get what you're saying. I've got friends that despise EA that would never buy a title new, so as to keep from adding to EA's overflowing coffers but have no qualms whatsoever about buying a pre-owned EA game from EB (I refuse to use the "new" name) so they can play.

I guess I'm just the scorched earth type.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So, I bought it anyway. It was tough to choose between PC and PS3 versions. The gamepad just makes things so much simpler, and it's a very couch-oriented game, but the aliasing in the PS3 version is horrendous. I went with the PS3 version in the end, though, since graphics < controls and comfort.

The game is a HUGE amount of fun. There were clearly car guys involved, because there are cars in the game that only we would appreciate. Who puts a Hudson Hornet in a videogame? Reflections did. And there's the MP4-12C. And goofy nonsense cars like a 70s Dodge Monaco which is just as horrible in the game as it was in real life.

The driving feels great, the missions are universally fun, and best of all the game explicitly rewards you for just screwing around. You earn "willpower" just by driving around and having fun. The dares and activities and other non-story-mission things to do all involve wackiness. Lots of races are point-to-point but don't specify an exact path.

This game is fun for the same reasons GTA III was fun for me: it gives me cars and a place to drive them and then gets out of my way.

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

I picked this game up the day it came out. I absolutely love it!

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

I actually didn't like the demo because I thought the car controls were loose and squirly, almost Ridge Racer esque. Is there a way to switch from an Arcadey feel to a more realistic feel? I may put this on my christmas list just to give the full game a second chance, if I don't get it then fine, if I do and I don't like it then it'll go in the book with the other games I rarely ever play. I'm actually really hoping I get AC Revelations instead. I'm also really looking forward to the new Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games all 3 are Ubisoft games, so I actually like ubisoft and don't follow whatever issue with them you have. The game developer that I have any issue with is Codemasters because of what they did to us with OFP: Dragon Rising and even then I still went out and bought the new Operation Flashpoint game.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Nope, the arcadey controls are the point. It's supposed to feel like a 70s movie car chase. Sloppy handling is the key, and you spend a lot of time sidways.

There's a bit of irony, though. There are "drift" setup cars in the game, and some of the side-missions are races that stick you in drift cars. The drift cars SUCK. They have on-off steering: you're either spectacularly sideways or going straight. There's no middle ground. It feels numb and broken, and those are the ONLY missions in the game I dislike.

And Ubisoft is a piblisher, not a developer. I take issue with their DRM approach.

Return to “Gaming”