Driver door doesn't open at all

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Took my car to the shop to replace the window regulator and the external door handle. I get the call that my car is ready and when I go to pick it up the door doesn't open at all (inside or outside). It previously opened from the outside. Anyone know how to open the door when neither handle works?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Aargh, take it back to them. I bet the guy didn't fully seat the cable to the handle, or didn't reconnect the linkage rod from the cylinder to the door lock. See if the door will open after using the inside unlock button, if so he left the linkage rod dangling. If not he didn't connect the cable correctly. In that case the only solution is to get the door panel off in situ, and that's never easy. On some cars the only answer is to destroy the inside panel. They f#<ked it up, let them fix it. If you try to do anything, they can claim it's your fault, so don't go there.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:23 pm
Aargh, take it back to them. I bet the guy didn't fully seat the cable to the handle, or didn't reconnect the linkage rod from the cylinder to the door lock. See if the door will open after using the inside unlock button, if so he left the linkage rod dangling. If not he didn't connect the cable correctly. In that case the only solution is to get the door panel off in situ, and that's never easy. On some cars the only answer is to destroy the inside panel. They f#<ked it up, let them fix it. If you try to do anything, they can claim it's your fault, so don't go there.
I left it with them. When I went to pick it up yesterday it wouldn't open, so they know I didn't do anything. They were having difficulty, because the door isn't opening, so I was checking to see if there are any tricks to get it open.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Nope, there's no arm or anything to catch with a slim jim on most Nissan products. So there aren't any short cuts. They have to find a way to remove the inside panel, hopefully without damage.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:27 pm
Nope, there's no arm or anything to catch with a slim jim on most Nissan products. So there aren't any short cuts. They have to find a way to remove the inside panel, hopefully without damage.
I think they were able to get the panel off. Once it's off how do you open the door?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They need to locate one of the two the little arms on the bottom of the latch where the cables pull and work them manually. If the latch is jammed and won't respond to roughhousing the arms, the only remedy is to knock it apart with a long chisel and a sledge, then replace it once the door is open.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:48 pm
They need to locate one of the two the little arms on the bottom of the latch where the cables pull and work them manually. If the latch is jammed and won't respond to roughhousing the arms, the only remedy is to knock it apart with a long chisel and a sledge, then replace it once the door is open.
Turns out it was the brand new actuator that failed within an hour of being installed. Luckily I still had the old one that was still working. Once they got the door open they installed it and the replacement door handle and all is well. Thanks for all your help!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Dbarry
Car: Nissan 240SX

Big_Tone wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:27 pm
VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:48 pm
Turns out it was the brand new actuator that failed within an hour of being installed. Luckily I still had the old one that was still working. Once they got the door open they installed it and the replacement door handle and all is well. Thanks for all your help!
Hope the old actuator will last.

Big_Tone
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Infiniti Sport mufflers

Dbarry wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:45 pm
Big_Tone wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:27 pm

Hope the old actuator will last.
Positive vibes only :dblthumb: :crazy:

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”