Drinking a Barium substance for a health check

For discussions pertaining to science and engineering and science-related topics.
Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Ok. This kinda science related cause I am a boob and don't know much about this stuff.

What little research I did do informed me that barium is a type metal, but not like, for example, actual steel.

So anyway, this past Sunday, our city did it's annual health check. You know, kinda like a physical. Blood test, vision test, heart check, chest x-ray.

Well, one other check that was done (that I didn't have to, but opted to) was to drink a barium solution then lay on a table for an x-ray or something. The wife said it had something to do with checking the stomach, but that was all she could tell me.

Afterwards, they gave me a couple of pills that would be to help me poo out the substance. I took the pills and about an hour later was in the loo doing my business.

My question is, is ingesting this stuff safe? I know it gets flushed out pretty quick with the pills I was given, but man, later in the evening and most of today, I felt absolutely horrible. No energy, no appetite and just really run-down feeling.

Any insights to this nasty concoction of a drink?

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

I've had it done before and only had mild constipation for a day or two. Was having problems swallowing cold things. My real question is what kind of pills did they give you? If it was a diuretic you could be dehydrated.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Yeah, I believe it was a diuretic. They told me it was to help me poo so I could get it out of my system quickly. So, there is that possibility. I went though about a litre and a half of water yesterday afternoon.

Thanks for your info, though.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

To my knowledge, it's like a "tracer" to highlight your digestive system. Obviously metal shows up darker on an X-ray, so your digestive system would be "lowlighted" in a darker hue than the rest of the X-ray. Like putting fluorescent dye in a fuel system to track down a leak quicker, but in this case, to more easily see your insides.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Your city conducts a mandated health check? :wtf2:

Also, yes, you were dehydrated. If you have to do it again next year, drink a crap-ton of water a couple of days prior. It'll help out a lot. Diuretics also decrease your blood volume, so your cardiac output is decreased. Once all of the crap is out of your system and you are properly hydrated again, the fatigue and general 'blah' feeling will go away.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Ace2cool wrote:To my knowledge, it's like a "tracer" to highlight your digestive system. Obviously metal shows up darker on an X-ray, so your digestive system would be "lowlighted" in a darker hue than the rest of the X-ray. Like putting fluorescent dye in a fuel system to track down a leak quicker, but in this case, to more easily see your insides.
This. They gave me about a gallon of the stuff when I went to the ER for some awful stomach pains. It provides contrast to the x-ray so they can more closely identify whats wrong in your digestive tract. Turns out I "had an impressive case of constipation." They gave me a massive laxative and I pooped out about a ton of liquid.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

I did the barium milkshake thing when I had an upper G.I. (needed to find out if I had a hiatal hernia). Not sure what was in my cocktail as compared to you guys, but I had the opposite problem. I was crapping my brains out for the rest of the day and needed stuff to make me stop.

Lesson learned: Science! makes you poo.

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Generally, I like to investigate these things BEFORE ingesting them. Jusayn.

Encryptshun

Who were you talking to, Adam?

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

ALL THE PEOPLE!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

nissangirl74 wrote:Your city conducts a mandated health check? :wtf2:

Also, yes, you were dehydrated. If you have to do it again next year, drink a crap-ton of water a couple of days prior. It'll help out a lot. Diuretics also decrease your blood volume, so your cardiac output is decreased. Once all of the crap is out of your system and you are properly hydrated again, the fatigue and general 'blah' feeling will go away.
No. Not mandated. It was completely optional. But it was close, it was free and I haven't had a physical since I left the Navy.

But, thanks for all the info. I think next time...should I so choose to do the barium cocktail...I'll drink a couple drums of water beforehand.

Thanks!!!

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

AppleBonker wrote:Generally, I like to investigate these things BEFORE ingesting them. Jusayn.
That drunken dare at the party with that cute guy still haunts you don't it? :chuckle:

I've heard about that check, Kim did her health check a little while ago. I could ask my mom about it. She was an X-ray tech and later a CT-tech for a long time. She would know the straight scoop on the T1000 milkshake.

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Reminds me of being injected with radioactive material in order to take images of your heart.

(Un?)fortunately, it doesn't lead to massive destruction when patients get angry.

Encryptshun

HULK SMASH!

....WELL, AS SOON AS HULK FREE FROM THIS INFUSION PUMP AND HULK ALLOWED TO PUT PURPLE PANTS BACK ON

HULK SMASH!!

allenms240
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

Just a metal, I don't believe it reacts with the body's digestive system at all. Just flushes all through.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Encryptshun wrote:HULK SMASH!

....WELL, AS SOON AS HULK FREE FROM THIS INFUSION PUMP AND HULK ALLOWED TO PUT PURPLE PANTS BACK ON

HULK SMASH!!
:rotfl

Dude, you're one of the few people that makes me truly LOL. Love it. :)

BTW - Side note: Get a colonoscopy at 30, even if your doc says you don't need it. I had diverticulitis (genetic) at 34, and it cost me my entire colon and 8 weeks with "outdoor plumbing". Also, someone you guys all know and loved would still be here if she'd had one - colon cancer is FAR more prevalent than we've been led to believe, and it's deadly.

Go schedule it. Seriously. I don't want you to have to endure what my family and I went through. It's that important.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

I'm 35 and haven't had a coloscopy yet...and quite frankly, I don't think I want to do it here in Japan. Well, at least the area I live in. The hospitals all look to be close to 50 years old, and show it. They are very dreary looking here and I still don't know if I want someone here sticking a cam up my discharge pipe.

Greg, I had diverticulitis myself. Luckily it was caught very early. 5 days in the hospital, 3 of which with no food so they could thoroughly flush my system. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. That crap sucks!!!

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

IBCoupe wrote:Reminds me of being injected with radioactive material in order to take images of your heart.
I have had that done - in December of 2002. :yesnod

Since I am a geek, I asked them to turn the monitors towards me so I could watch too!

Needless to say, I could easily tell that I needed heart work - the doctor did not have to tell me. :(

Z

Rognine

FWIW I've had to have several chest through pelvis CT's and can confirm that the Barium contrast won't do anything long term. The biggest thing is to stay hydrated. That stuff will really dry you out.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

szh wrote:I have had that done - in December of 2002. :yesnod

Since I am a geek, I asked them to turn the monitors towards me so I could watch too!

Needless to say, I could easily tell that I needed heart work - the doctor did not have to tell me. :(

Z
Cool! Know what drug they injected you with? My folks work at the plant that makes Cardiolite.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

IBCoupe wrote:
szh wrote:I have had that done - in December of 2002. :yesnod

Z
Cool! Know what drug they injected you with? My folks work at the plant that makes Cardiolite.
Yes, it is Cardiolite, as I seem to recall from my last visit. Please thank your parents for me! :mike

I have Cardiolite stress tests done pretty regularly now - every two to three years now to check that things in my heart bypasses are flowing properly still.

EDIT: BTW, I just realized that I misspoke earlier - I have the Cardiolite stress tests every two to three years now. The radioactive blood flow images from before and after the treadmill stress test are processed and printed later, and I get to see them some time after the actual tests are complete.

What I had done in Dec 2002 was a live angiogram with radioactive (I think) material that they injected using a fine tube catheter shoved through an incision in my groin all the way to my heart. I don't know/remember what that material was - it showed up as dark fluid on the LCD screens that showed the images that I was watching as they did the work!

Z

Encryptshun

Uhoh, Z. Now whenever you and Isaac are at loggerheads over some political issue, he's just going to say "Because Cardiolite".

;)

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Ha, Chad! :D I will.

My mom works in documentation, and my Dad designs the stress tests for the medicine itself; it's how they come up with the "Do not store over X degrees celsius" or whatever. But it took me a while to figure out what my Dad did. If you ever saw the episode of That 70's Show where it was "Take Your Son to Work Day," for most of my childhood, all I could say was that my dad was a "statistician," and any time he tried to explain anything more, it went something like it did for Kelso

Return to “Science!”