Drifting Growth in the US

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
annunziato39
Car: 1990 240 (auto) sold 1992 240 260,000+ miles (rip) 1991 240 (sold) 2007 Infiniti G35 sport 6-speed (Current)

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were about D1 in the US and now the Formula D races. What do you guys think about a Pontiac GTO participating in an almost 100% Japanese car event. In my opinion i think the growth is outstanding. I love seeing this become a new genre of automotive competition, and i hope to see more US cars participating (Mustangs, Camaros...fieroes?!?!). I know people are going to say Drifting is a waste of rubber, but then again so is everything that is related to automotive competition (drag racing and auto-x). Well i guess car shows don't. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

And i was also wondering if anyone knew what ever happen to fumiaki komatsu. I know he use to be a popluar street drifter, but does he compete with signal auto anymore?

D1SR240
Car: 2002 BMW M5
1991 Nissan 240SX

in the december 2003 issue of "Super Street" it said that Fumiaki Komatsu got in a driting accident in Osaka, Japan, and he was hospitaliezed for a while. Then they said that Signal's manager assured them the he'll be A-OK soon.Haven't heard anything about him latley

~swave

marshun

i think drifting in the US is fine. i dont care what kind of cars are in there. but yeah. i'll still be drifting every weekend. been drifting for a couple years now.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

I started when i had an open diff like 2 years ago and continue to do it now that i have a VLSD. I think if you have the power to break loose your rear wheels and can handle it around any corner, it doesnt matter what kind of car you're pushing.

ImChrisLara
Car: 1991 240sx LE Fastback

i hate that GTO i dont think american cars should be in drift comps ever! i hate american cars and i think they should be drift outlawed

NeedCAforS13
Car: E21 320i
HJ75 Land Cruiser

wow... how wonderfully open minded :rolleyes this was about as good as your first post in which you declared "im sick of people saying that the Sil-Eighty isnt a production car, well it is i know this for a fact, i read alot of magazines" welcome to the bandwagon!

Sean

ImChrisLara
Car: 1991 240sx LE Fastback

shut up, i give drifters if they can drift it dont matter what car, i dont like american cars but if they get in my 240 and get sideways they get respect, only as a driver not for their ride

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

What's fundamentally wrong with an American car? do you have a real reason, or are you just being a closed minded, jDm tyt3, ignorant kid?

And good way to respond... "shut up"...you must be highly educated :) how old are you?

Sean

annunziato39
Car: 1990 240 (auto) sold 1992 240 260,000+ miles (rip) 1991 240 (sold) 2007 Infiniti G35 sport 6-speed (Current)

Is there any strong reasoning behind you not thinking American Cars should be Drifting? Or is it because mustangs and Lebarons keep smoking you at the red lights..... But Seriously, if you don't think US cars should drift i would really like to know why. And in a reverse argument, i would love to see a Skyline race in NASCAR. I think the only way to see what cars are true driving machines is to compete agains all makes and models from all countries. I love the Best Motoring Videos when they pin Japanese cars again German cars. Speaing of German cars, what do you think of Eupoean Drfiting?

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

I think m3's sliding sideways is hot:) same goes for some american cars! I don't particularly like the styling of most american cars, but I won't hold it against anyone who drifts one... for example, I would love to get sideways in a c5;)

Sean

annunziato39

I would love to see a world drift competition. European vs American vs Japanese. Besides the WRC is there a race where countries compete with one another? Although i don't remember seeing any Asian drivers in the WRC.... or American for that matter. *I'm only speaking of the WRC i see on Speed channel.

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

I think the WRC on Speed is a european dominated race... even the japanese cars (Mitsubishi and Subaru) are piloted by European drivers... same goes for american cars (Ford). I could be wrong, but they all seem to have some crazy European accents:pface

Sean

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

Volvos mercedes and BMW's drifting is quite interesting...yeah I watched a video of a benz drifting! but it looks more natural with japanese cars. nothings wrong with american cars drifting, I just wouldn't drive one unless I had no-other choice. they tend to be heavy and sound weird :S

Anand

ImChrisLara wrote:shut up, i give drifters if they can drift it dont matter what car, i dont like american cars but if they get in my 240 and get sideways they get respect, only as a driver not for their ride

First off, you are a tool! I don't even know what the hell you meant by "i give drifters if they can drift it dont matter what car"??? Speak english mannn

Second, you are still a tool for saying American cars should not be drifting.

don't hate on them.. the GTO is an awesome drift car. It actually is heavier than the soarer so it takes a lot of skill to drift that thing. I saw it first hand at D1 and I loved it

I think there should be more american cars out there giving the Japanise cars a good challenge!!!

marshun

theres this guy in a camaro down here thats really good. and it sounds crazy. heavy cars are weird to handle during a drift. so i respect it.

to say that only japanese cars should be doing it is just stupid. its like saying only asians should eat rice.

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

Being mean again???

Anyway, I think he is some what opinionated like myself. On one hand, I would rather not see domestics in it, because of their historic distaste for imports. This should be kept an import sport. They can go drive around in circles all day in Daytona if they want and hollar "Earnhardt" till the hearts content.

But on the other hand, cars like the the GTOand that ugly station wagon, the Magnum have the juice to get loose, and do deserve the right to mix it up.

Anyway, I will get back to the general section.

Asleep Altima
Car: Turbo Altima, SR'd S13

i cant believe anyone of you would think that drifting is only an import sport. cars have been sliding around tracks for YEARS. ever been to a circle track race? it doesnt matter if its dirt or not, it takes skill to keep those high hp cars going sideways lap after lap. theyve been doing that for years and surprise! theyre domestics. drifting is a sport and it shouldnt matter who does it and in what they do it in. if i could drift my big a** truck, believe me, i would.

PantherRacer
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline R32 RB20DET Sedan

I read on another nissan forum somewhere about some fool who wanted to make a drift truck lol they were gonna drop it and put sandbags in the back to balance the weight....those are the type of ppl we need to protect drifting from. Not to shoot down asleep altima though...but that other guy just wanted to be ridiculous, not seriously compete, I'm sure sleepy could pull it off lol

silencer.1
Car: women, my car, paintball

Hey now, it's not like a truck can't drift, it just generally can't do it well. I first learned to drift in my underpowered S10 about 3 years ago. In order to sustain a decent drift I needed 300lbs of sand in the back and it had to be either wet or snowy pavement. Did I look like a moron doing it? Hell yes, but it was fun so I didn't care. Now that I own a 240sx, I'm learning all over again. It's still underpowered but a hell of a lot easier to get sideways.

To me, it doesn't matter what you drift so long as it can get sideways and stay there. So long as the person driving is having fun, what does it matter what kind of car he/she has? Are there tools that think they have to have a ton of expensive stuff to have fun? Sure, but that's true in a lot of other sports too. A great example of this is paintball. All you need to play and have fun is a $50 setup yet people will easily shell out over $2000 for the biggest/best/fastest setup that they will only go out and play with once a month. It's different if you are a sponsored and competative tournament player where that $2000 setup is put to use and used to it's full potential every week.

A lot of these parts available to the public are designed for competative drifting, not the kid looking to just go goof off on the weekend. Are they nice things to have? Of course, but they aren't needed. I can guarentee that just going out in my basically stock 240sx, that I am going to have just as much fun as the guy with another $5k into his ride. There are little parts that could use improvement but there is no way to know what needs changing unless actually go out and get sideways.

JESTER

Asleep Altima wrote:i cant believe anyone of you would think that drifting is only an import sport. cars have been sliding around tracks for YEARS. ever been to a circle track race? it doesnt matter if its dirt or not, it takes skill to keep those high hp cars going sideways lap after lap. theyve been doing that for years and surprise! theyre domestics. drifting is a sport and it shouldnt matter who does it and in what they do it in. if i could drift my big a** truck, believe me, i would.

Yes I have been to a circle track. I made that same statement about a year ago and nearly got *****ed of the board. I'm not saying they havent been doing it for years. They have. I live near one of the oldest NASCAR tracks in the country, Hickory Motor Speed Way. I have been watching these guys slide there cars around for quiet a few years. (dont watch it much anymore.)

My point was this, as far as a sport soley based on drifting goes, this has been a primarly import sport. Part of me says keep it all import. But the other part says, domestics deserve to be in it too. Like you guys said, they can get sideways, go for it. So, I don't know. Just playing devils advocate again, as usually.

JESTER

Seen my friend get his truck sideways, by the way. Low rider, Toyota with 22re. Dont know if I would qualify what he did as a drift. May be if he had kept going with it instead of letting off. It wanted to swap ends pretty quick.

HondaCRX

annunziato39 wrote:I was wondering what peoples thoughts were about D1 in the US and now the Formula D races.
just one thing...it's not a "race". Please don't get drifting and racing intertwined.

Quote »What do you guys think about a Pontiac GTO participating in an almost 100% Japanese car event.[/quote]It's great. Brings a higher level of respect and interest to the sport.
PantherRacer wrote:I read on another nissan forum somewhere about some fool who wanted to make a drift truck
Courtesy of LVRacingScene.com

amazing, you figure drifters would be the most open minded group, considering the bashing that drifting has received lately.

Quote »those are the type of ppl we need to protect drifting from. [/quote]granted, Drifting will ultimately depend on the participants, but, why are YOU trying to protect the sport? Didn't know it was at risk of being overrunned by trucks. I did know participation was exceptionally high from people who wanted to have fun in their cars...

Quote »...but that other guy just wanted to be ridiculous, not seriously compete, I'm sure sleepy could pull it off lol[/quote]Not to be an elitest, but, wasn't the sport created because it was fun... NOT because it was competitive? If you're into drifting for the competition aspect, you're in the wrong sport.

If the drift scene has other narrow-minded clowns like this, the recent explosion of drift events will die pretty quickly. remember, motorsports are suppose to be fun...people tend to forget that.

annunziato39

not a race? last i checked in D1 if you are passed while leading in a tandum... you lose. sounds like a race to me.

Chingon

on a sidenote, the new gto is Australian not American...

TougeYARO
Car: 240sx hatch s14 sr20 det, hks air filter, exedy stage 2, apexi n1 dual, koyo, tein coils,

dude, i've seen a crx drifting in the Option2 magazine. it doesn't matter i what kind of car you have, long as you enjoy it. and hey dont make fun of drift truks man! they're awesome dude. you never senn 180sx truck?

Asleep Altima
Car: Turbo Altima, SR'd S13

annunziato39 wrote:not a race? last i checked in D1 if you are passed while leading in a tandum... you lose. sounds like a race to me.
it is to a point. but not so much a race in time as in style. in D1 you may lose, but in most drifiting events, theyre looking for style.

MustangManV6
Car: 1995 Subaru Impreza

I would like to agree with the guy up there and say American cars are gay ;)

SKAGEE
Car: cars

Hi,

Even being from a different continent , I find it funny that we hear the same arguement/proclamation when it comes to drifting. I have lost count on the number of times that I have heard 'veterens' in the Motorsport industries claiming that they've been drifiting for 'X' amount of years or been doing it all their lives but didn't have a name for it or even some claiming that its easy, However , I think that most of them have missed the point on what drifiting is. There's no doubt that their car handling skills are way above the average driver but I find that they lack in the finer points of drifiting, which in turn separate drifiting from other motorsport. Power slides are common sight in any motorsports but do you actually see any other motorsports which involves getting the vehicle in an angle 50 meters before the corner and continue at an angle way past the apex??? I found it funny that during the first `proper` drift event here, we had some of these motorsport veterens/pro entering the event with their unprepared daily driven cars to the event expecting it to be a cakewalk. Let me tell you they were quiet suprised with what they saw during that event. Hell, one of them even looked stunned when a choku-dori was done!!Needless to say none of them actually bothered to come back during the next event! Maybe it was too easy!heehehee

I hope I have not offended anyone with my posting but I think that drifiting though may be related to other form of motorsport, isn't the same thing !!

nab911

To quote what you guys said about WRC being euro dominated... you have to have huge balls to drive WRC... you drift you can hit a curb or a fence or something... you rally you hit a tree doing 90 roll a couple times, make sure you have at least one gear left and give it more hell :) and those europeans drink... a lot (no offense guys we love you)

annunziato39

And Balls they have, no doubt about that. But what i was refering to was how the WRC went all across Europe to race. I think it would be cool if Drifting was something like that. Have a US, Japanese and European team and go all around the world to compete. Actually any type of racing like that would be cool.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”