DRFTBLD S13 Coupe VH45DETT - Project THOR

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
DRFTBLD
Car: 89 S13 VH45DETT
05 Ford F-150 Drift Support
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

S13 Coupe VH45DE Swap
Project code name: THOR

So I thought I'd share with you guys a few of my build pics as it comes along. This won't be a full build thread but I will upload and updated as things happen. I'm building this at home away from the shop so it will take a little longer but this is for stress relief and fun times.

Also this is my build not yours. If you don't like it that's fine... your not gonna be driving it....

Overview:
I'm setting out to build my personal car for a fun car that is road registered and drift ready. I want to be able to have fun on the street and then drive it to the track to have fun there too. I thought about doing a NA build or Super charger, and then even single turbo came up to. But one night we were taking the Skyline for a drive and I said to my friend I love the sound from the twins spooling and feeding each other (custom set up). So then we through around the idea of doing a twin set up on the VH. There are a few others out there but none that we know of that are actually running in an S13 as yet. As I said I know of most of the VH45's in S13 that are forced induction and many people have been trying, however many people haven't to date finished, or if they have they are keeping it quit. So that fact that is is very rare made it even more appealing.

So with that i n mind we went bout designing a build that would meet my needs and still be strong. Starting with the engine.

Car Specs:
1989 Nissan 240sx
Current SOHC 2.4L
5 spd
Welded diff
Car has 1991 wiring harness in the dash and engine bay for some reason. Made it had to wire the engine harness in.
6 point Formula D rollcage made by Blu808 (they build many FD cars including their own FD car and the Hankook Camaro)
Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats
Kissu Dual rear caliper brakes - 1 for hand brake, 1 for hydro hand brake

Engine spec:
94 VH45 with 97,000 miles Pulled from a local Pick N Pull
Well worn and needed some love:

Love given:
Pistons
Piston Rings
All bearings (obviously)
Intake Valves
Exhaust Vales
Valve Seals
Valve springs
Retainers
ARP Head Bolts
Boiled head and block
Block chemically treated
Honed and Blue printed block
Ported head
Balanced Crank shaft

Enough crap from me, time for some pics:

As the engine came:

(This is in the S13 engine bay)

Tearing the engine down and seeing what I had was fun and scary!

Then came the fun part. Time for the build! Always the second best best part of any build (starting the engine is the best :) )

Everything bagged and tagged ready for the build.

Cleaned the valve covers nicely!

Got the heads back. First set I haven't done in house so I'm hoping they are right!

So I skipped the piston install for some reason.... Not sure what happened. I thought I took pics but either lost them or I forgot to take them.

Got the studs in and put the heads on.

Timing all lined and and the covers going on.

Installed the pulley's, valve covers, spark plugs, and coil packs.

And this is how the engine sits today. I haven't tightened down the oil pan as I need to remove it to tap for the turbo oil returns.

Pick up the 300zx NA gear box. Felt strong in the car and had no issues with shifting so it was pulled.

Clean it all up and made it look pretty...

Then it was onto some wiring.

Picked up some supplies:

Started by stripping the wires back and taping the used (white tape) from the not used (blue tape) ones.

Then got bored and started on the coil pack harness. I am extending them as I am relocating everything to under the dash.
Before:

After:

This is how things stopped for a little bit! There was a break from until early Dec as I am moved back to Wisconsin!

So we made it back to Wisconsin. It was a LONG trip. Hit the Fires in Reno, Then a Snow storm in Salt Lake the next day. then Ice on the roads for 292 miles in WY. Then got home to a flooded basement. Didn't think it could get worse but it did. Water softner blew on the night before thanksgiving and we had to shut off the water. Then the guys came to un-crate my engine..... The valve covers have to be re powder coated as the way the pack it rubbed it down to bare metal. also the Coil Pack covers were both cracked... FML some days. So they will be paying for that to be done. It has to get better right?!?!?!

Anyway got the car delivered during the week and the brake lights have a short now which they never use to have and it has something wrong with the steering. But the driver says it came that way.....It's always something.

Anyway onto so pictures. I helped the guys with the cage as much as i could be wasn't there for the bending of the pipes so no pics of that. But I was there for the set up and also the final welding.

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

So I picked up a new manifold last week and have been playing with a few different styles of adapters. I have chosen two different designs to go through with an make and then I will see which is the best style for what I am trying to accomplish. The intake is off a 2004 Porsche Cayenne. I choose this style as it has top mounted injectors opposed to flat mounted on other Porsche models. The Ports on this intake line up almost identically with the inlets on the Vh45 block. The ports are slightly larger than those on the VH and more circle than too. However with a nice adapter they should be able to bolt together nicely.

The two styles I have chosen are:
1: A Single adapter piece which will mat the manifold to the block directly. It will be about 2” think.
2: Two adapter plates about ¼ thick with mini ‘runners’ between the two.

I am leaning towards the second as I think it may be better and easy to aligning the port holes. As for the material for the Flange I was going to use G-10 Carbonite until I saw the price for the size I needed so I went back and dug around to find some Aluminum that I could use.

So after this weekend hopefully I will have the first draft of the manifold adapter done and can see how it fits.

Fubatsu
Car: S13

How much lower will it sit than the factory manifold. Enough to clear an s13 bonnet?

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Fubatsu wrote:How much lower will it sit than the factory manifold. Enough to clear an s13 bonnet?
It should do. I will take some measurements and let you know this weekend. My hope is that is does as that is the main objective, however part of the reason I wanted/needed a front facing throttle body is the turbos sit in front of the engine and right in the path of where the stock intake goes so running the intercooler piping up there way just wouldn't work.

nismo300zxjdm
Car: 1990 300ZX 2+0 VH45DE
1994 300ZX Vert
2004 Maxima

Great project, keep us updated!

You can check out pictures of my VH build ----> http://s1209.photobucket.com/profile/nismo300zxjdm

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

I will do. I liked your build pics. You should get some more pics up. Love to see more of it!

I got in a bunch of new parts in the past few weeks. I will be posting up pics of all the items I got in and doing an update this weekend... on sunday probably.

nismo300zxjdm
1994 300ZX Vert
2004 Maxima

Thanks man, I'm about 1/2 way on my adaptor plate. I'll post some more picture once I have made some real progress.

Hooked on 240

Nismo - Great pics and project. Look forward to see the rest.

ZOMGDRIFTBUILD- Love the car so far. Subscribed
Last edited by Hooked on 240 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Thanks bud. I will be doing a little update soon.... Stay tuned.

ghettoslide
Car: '90 240sx, '91 240sx, '98 DSM, '05 Avalance

I like the manifold idea. I definitely want to know how that works out. I have my motor and transmission ready for my Vh swap. I just bookmarked you. Please keep us posted. Especially the wiring.

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Thanks guys.

Repacked everything that is in the garage and made some room to work. Got the car in the garage. Vavle covers are off and got them media blasted and now just need to powder coat them again due to the damage from when the moving company.

Pulled the oil pan off (only hand tightened for the move) and tapped the holes for the turbo return lines. -12an returns to ensure free flow of the oil.

Also finally got the rod bolts in so I pulled the girddle and such off to put the bolts in. Haven't installed them yet.

I have someone coming to potentially pick up the KA24 and tranny that's in the 240 now so i will be busy pulling that this week and wont have much time for my toher engine stuff. Will update more then.

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

So it's time for a mini update. As everyone knows I have been busy completing my basement from the flooding so I can move back in. It is almost finished and should be done next so in the meantime over winter I have been playing squirrel and stock piling parts.

Rod Bolts and Flywheel bolts ready to go in.

XTD Flywheel came in a few weeks back. The Spec clutch is still on back order and should be in next week.

Here is the starting of the Home made 'Accusump'. This is more designed as a pre-oiler however I have also ordered a EPS so that should the oil pressure drop below 25psi then the oil stored up will be released to stop any potential damage

Got in a bunch of the electric items....
Start Button

Fuel Pumps - Twin 340lph pumps

Ford Lighting MAF and went to the pick n Pull and got the pig tail

Twin 12inch Electric Fans

Got in a few guages too

Emergency Shut off valve

Wiring solenoids

Battery Relocation Kit - Put together myself - Didn't lik the plastic box but it's good for now.

Got a few suspension parts in too - Tein Tie Rods and Tie rod ends

Heat wrap for the turbo manifolds

Now this week came the delivery of some good stuff.
Treadstone TRTT9 Intercooler

V-Band fittings

A couple Silicone couplers

TWIN 50mm Wastegates V-Band

TWIN BOV V-Bands

Turbo lines

Other Misc stuff that I got in.

High Temp Themostat

I also got a ton of Carbon fiber in - the REAL stuff. This will come into play later in the build

Made a set of Fuel Rails. Intake manifold is in the works.

Also got in all the fuel rail stuff. Not sure if I posted this before but here it is anyway.

Kissu radiator - 3"

And because it was warm this past weekend and I really wanted to do something on the car, I called the guy would wanted to buy the SOHC KA engine to come pick it up on Sunday so I pulled that with the help of a couple friends.

We also pulled a bunch of stuff from the inside of the car. Got working on the sound crap too.

Also got the knock sensors in so I thought I'd put them in too.
New on the Left
Old on the Right

Old Knock sensors

New Knock Sensors - Installed

Things I have ordered but still to come in:
Toggle Switches
Rocket Switches
2x Precission Turbos
Spec Stage 5 Clutch
Alternator
Universal Wiring Harness
More braided wrap and hoses
etc

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Looking good! Cant wait to see this come together.

What do you think of the Treadstone intercooler? What turbos are you planning on??

nismo300zxjdm
1994 300ZX Vert
2004 Maxima

Looking great!I can't wait to get back into my VH project, it's been on hold for a few months due to the VG30 rebuild... FIRST AND LAST TIME EVER! If I ever buy a blown up 300zx again I am going to throw a VH in it, no matter what! Can't wait to see what your turbo setup will look like :biggrin:

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

hannibal wrote:Looking good! Cant wait to see this come together.

What do you think of the Treadstone intercooler? What turbos are you planning on??

I'm running Twin Precission custom Turbo's with Billet Wheels and V-band housings. They are a t3/4 hybrid turbo that are rated to 450hp each.

The Treadstone intercooler rocks! I only sell treadstone intercoolers. We have had their TR10 on both shop skylines without issue. GREAT products.

chharith
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS with VH45DE swap.

Amazing Work!!!

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

So I got a little bit of tinkering done this past weekend. Not a ton but just a few things. I didn't get as much stuff done as I had wanted to as it took me almost 3 hrs to get the freaking windshield out. The top and 2 sides were easy and come out without issue..... but the bottom was the biggest b**** ever!! After getting it out I found out why.... The Guys in CA that installed it used some freaking crap I have never seen before. It's not standard window sealer. Looks more like a tar stuff. And not only that there was a stripe of this stuff almost 2" think! no wonder the windshield removal tool couldn't go through it!

I started by finishing up the oil pan. After drilling the holes I had to go through and clean it up. The holes are -10an for Turbo Oil return.

Then I went throught and primed and painted it. The color of the oil pan is the same as what the engine bay and cabin will be.

Then I got the Rod bolts out and replaced them with the New ARP ones. Took a little longer than planned due to the others being installed already but I got it done. Then I re torqued it all down and checked cleances and play on the Crank.

I got the Coolant hoses in on Friday so i intalled those. I chose to go with all High Temp Racing silicone hose. So I cut those down to size and put them on. The T-bolts didn't fit so i had to go with standard worm drive which disappointed me a little but it should hold.

After all that was done I started working on the chassis again. I started welding up the Gusset's. The gussets were curortsey of Destruction Warehouse in Wisconsin. These guys go some great work and am pleased to have them as a sponsor. I was haveing issues with the welder and the gas regulator, and after replacing the regulator it was sorted out. So these welds suck. I think I might go back, grind them off and re-weld.

I started blocking up the holes in the engine bay too since I wont be using most of them. I chose to run the wiring harness through the existing hole as I wanted to use the stock rubber grommet.

Dex with the lude
Car: 89 Honda Prelude Si

Looks good man, can't wait to see what kind of power it puts down.

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

So Time for a little update. I have had some major s*** going on in my life the past 3-4 months and I have only recently tarted to touch the car again! WOOHOO! So here are some pics of the most recent progress.

I got the sunroof Deleted which took forever to get it right but so glad it is done. I braced it from the bottom for a little added strength and to stop any potential warping and twisting.

I cut out the seat hump so I can fit my big head around the cage. Then I welded in new seat mounts. This should hold the New Sparco seats perfectly. I have also lost about 40lbs in the past 4 months so I need new seats that are a little more snug than the old lard A55 ones I used to have.

Then I made a new mount for the Fuse panel. Since everything is going to be slimmed down I didn't need a huge box so I am going to mount it all above the hump under the dash facing the passenger side. It is perfectly located so that it can be accessed without having to remove the dash but still hidden away from everyone.

I made the new switch panel which is roof/cage mounted. It has 9 switches in it. I don't appear to have a picture of it back from the powder coasters so I will update that later.

I also finished painting the cab of the car and have started to put things back together. By the end of the week I should be ready to start the chassis wiring.

LEMHEAD16
Car: '12 Genesis Coupe
'95 QofDOOM
'56 Chevy pick up

Car is looking good man! Makes me want to get back in the game.

Q-ZILLA
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45t
Rear Mount Turbo

R.S. Enthalpy Tuned on
Dynojet-5000lb roller
453hp/453lbft

2008 Nissan Armada
2009 G37 Convertible - SOLD
2004 Cad. Escalade POS - RIP

Nice... Love the motor!

Q-ZILLA
Rear Mount Turbo

R.S. Enthalpy Tuned on
Dynojet-5000lb roller
453hp/453lbft

2008 Nissan Armada

Have you dyno'd this engine? I'm curious about your numbers as I am about to attempt an 800hp engine for QZILLA. I doubt my engine will be so pretty. That thing looks fabulous!

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Thanks. The engine hasnt been duno'd as yet. It should be hitting it in the spring. I have been working on it a lot lately trying to get it finished up.

I'll post up some updated pictures soon and also some video's when it is ready.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

THIS is gonna be spectacular.

Keep it up, brother - LOVE the custom fabrication. Totally inspiring.

Q-ZILLA
Rear Mount Turbo

R.S. Enthalpy Tuned on
Dynojet-5000lb roller
453hp/453lbft

2008 Nissan Armada

What pistons and conrods did you end up using anyway? There's no pics of them, as you know.

I'm getting ready to make an attempt to put together a VH with an est. 800hp(600+hp/600+lbft). My current motor should be right under 600hp, considering the 470/504 dyno run, but I want to finish this car before my birthday next September. Engine upgrade, brakes, suspension & paint.

Q-ZILLA
Rear Mount Turbo

R.S. Enthalpy Tuned on
Dynojet-5000lb roller
453hp/453lbft

2008 Nissan Armada

Q-ZILLA wrote:What pistons and conrods did you end up using anyway? There's no pics of them, as you know.
Bueller... Bueller... :chuckle:

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

I went with Stock pistons and Rods. After testing the pistons each cylinder should be go to around 115hp. As for the rod's there was no benefit is upgrading them at this time. They are a solid forged rod with very little weakness in them.

Plus I really wanted to push the stock parts to see what they could do.

Q-ZILLA
Rear Mount Turbo

R.S. Enthalpy Tuned on
Dynojet-5000lb roller
453hp/453lbft

2008 Nissan Armada

DRFTBLD wrote:I went with Stock pistons and Rods. After testing the pistons each cylinder should be go to around 115hp. As for the rod's there was no benefit is upgrading them at this time. They are a solid forged rod with very little weakness in them.

Plus I really wanted to push the stock parts to see what they could do.
I'm not surprised... I thought so; after talking with a few engine builders, they were impressed with the metallurgic quality of these engines and basically told me the same. They said if I wanted to lower the compression and use more boost, fine. On the other hand, stock pistons less boost, but basically the same net result in hp numbers.

I've seen on here that folks think the rings are weak, but I'm estimating my motor is just under 600 at the crank, based on dyno numbers and I haven't had a problem. Personally, pushing the stock pistons to 800... IDK for sure, but I was thinking of putting in CP's, still around 10:1... Just in case. I'm running 15psi now, but I have no desire to go to 30, 20psi sounds good though. :chuckle:

I'm also limited to the 850hp range, due to the L10 S3 tranny. I don't plan on going any higher, if I can hit 600+/600+ at the wheels, relatively safely, I'll be a happy SOB... Besides, this car IS my daily driver...

I wish you had some dyno numbers on that beautiful beast. :biggrin: Thanks for responding.

DRFTBLD
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

Yeah the stock engine is a beast. I'm not sure I would call the rings weak, but I went with Hastings away.

Hopefully in a few months I will have all the number up. Honestly if I hit 650 at the wheels I will be happy as. I want a drivable car not a spin freak.

I thought about doing the CP's but I really wantd to push the Stock set up first. I have 2 other blocks I am working on and 1 of them will have the CP pistons in them. The Z32 tranny should be able to hold it nicely.

Above all us I want people to see what the engine can do and not just jump on the LS band wagon!

Q-ZILLA
Rear Mount Turbo

R.S. Enthalpy Tuned on
Dynojet-5000lb roller
453hp/453lbft

2008 Nissan Armada

So we're both going for about the same in hp numbers. Glad to not be the only one. I'll be dropping in the 740cc injectors, along with the Lightning MAF. I'm on just about stock everything right now though.

After blowing my last engine; stock conrod bolt snapped, I used the ARP's. I also switched out the head bolts with ARP's just for grins and giggles. I'm totally impressed with this engine though. Many folks didn't think it would run around 600 on stock, but I ran that motor for about 95k miles... Not easy miles either, I race just about every car that wants to. It eats Mustangs all day long...

I can't wait to get another JDM on my stand. I did burn a valve racing a 950hp Mustang the other week. sat next to him till the beginning to middle of third gear, then he walked away. Not used to losing to a Stang... :frown:

You will have to beef up that tranny though, I blew up 3 before getting the L10, but their are a lot of options out there for you.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”