Drag 180sx

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Nismo Sr22GT
Car: College, taking care of my GF and Son, street racing, tuning cars, anything car related.

does anyone know what motor is the Drag HKS 180sx is running? all i know is that its a 4 cylinder singe turbo, and its freaking fast, clawing the 1320 in 7.18 seconds, id like to brag about an Sr doing this times, or a Ca or whatever 4 banger its running.

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

Nismo Sr22GT wrote:does anyone know what motor is the Drag HKS 180sx is running? all i know is that its a 4 cylinder singe turbo, and its freaking fast, clawing the 1320 in 7.18 seconds, id like to brag about an Sr doing this times, or a Ca or whatever 4 banger its running.
Sorry, it's a V6. RB26DETT - Skyline motor. But if it's any consolation, it runs in the V8 class and eats domestics for breakfast.

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

inline 6 =)

I H8 UR DSM

"all i know is that its a 4 cylinder singe turbo, "

well then....i feel bad for if "all you know" is something wrong...;)

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

All he knows is slightly less than everyone else... Well welcome to the club :)

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

Man, thass hella fast. It's good to see an import smear a few domestics. I have no problem with domestics, but some domestic drivers have problems with me wanting to drive "those low displacement sissy cars". Serves 'em right.

Daunttless

I'm pretty sure the HKS drag car has the Attessa AWD intact as well...in addition to the RB26 in there. : ) I love GT-R Power.

Nismo241

It's RWD with the RB26DETT....yes, it's still twin turbo, It has twin HKS GT3240's which are huge a** turbo's for twins. It has something like 1100 rwhp.

Xeromist

Jubs180 wrote:inline 6 =)
oh yeah, sorry

Note:

The AWD wouldn't really make it a better drag car. Theoretically you could get a better launch because the computer will transfer power to the front wheels, but it's not worth it. In competition they are using huge drag tires and the drivers are highly experienced, so they know how to launch. After the holeshot the AWD has so much driveline loss it would kill your ET.

240zx
Car: I like....stuff =P

Im very sure of it that the HKS drag 180 doesnt not employ the Attessa AWD system. and if it does i want to know what would be th point of running skinnies in the front with huge slicks in the rear?

Nismo Sr22GT
Car: College, taking care of my GF and Son, street racing, tuning cars, anything car related.

IM PRETTY SURE THAT I SAW IT ON A MAGAZINE WHEN IT WAS RACING A V8 TWIN TURBO CAR, IT SAID WITH HALF THE PISTONS AND SINGLE TURBO", MAYBE IT WAS A MISPRINT,BUT ILL CHECK AGAIN, I HAVE 3 SUBSCRIPTIONS, TO TURBO, SUPER STREET, AND SPORT COMPACT CAR, ILL LOOK IT UP AND POST THE EXACT PAGE, ISSUE AND ALL THAT IF I CAN FIND IT AGAIN, AND YEA WELL THAT IS WHERE MY SOURCES ARE FROM, IM SORRY IM NOT BORN WITH THESE FACTS LIKE SOME OF YOU GUYS,AND THAT IS WHY I ASKED, THANKS FOR THE INFO.

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

i used google and came up with this.

http://www.nhrasportcompact.co....html

i would deem it to be accurate ;)

Daunttless

Why is all the cool stuff in Japanese. : (

Xeromist

Jubs180 wrote:i would deem it to be accurate ;)
Yes, that is accurate. I have seen the car in person and that is the description the owners give.

Single or twin turbo is not really better, it's which of the systems works best for the application. Here is my take on turbos for imports (imports generally having lower displacement):

For relatively low boost street cars, a single turbo is fine. For slightly higher boost street cars, twin turbo is better because it is more streetable. For race cars a single large turbo is better because there is less backpressure in the exhaust system and you get more power. For extremely high powered dragsters like the HKS, two big turbos are better because they need to spool quickly and produce a lot of boost.

A single huge turbo is harder to spool than twin. For setups that use such a turbo they often employ N2O to spool the turbo.

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Nismo Sr22GT wrote:IM PRETTY SURE THAT I SAW IT ON A MAGAZINE WHEN IT WAS RACING A V8 TWIN TURBO CAR, IT SAID WITH HALF THE PISTONS AND SINGLE TURBO", MAYBE IT WAS A MISPRINT,BUT ILL CHECK AGAIN, I HAVE 3 SUBSCRIPTIONS, TO TURBO, SUPER STREET, AND SPORT COMPACT CAR, ILL LOOK IT UP AND POST THE EXACT PAGE, ISSUE AND ALL THAT IF I CAN FIND IT AGAIN, AND YEA WELL THAT IS WHERE MY SOURCES ARE FROM, IM SORRY IM NOT BORN WITH THESE FACTS LIKE SOME OF YOU GUYS,AND THAT IS WHY I ASKED, THANKS FOR THE INFO.
Looks like someone has gum stuck underneath their shift key... :squint

Nismo Sr22GT

well guys, ive found the exact page where Turbo Magazine states, "We were impressed with Nissan's e.t. The four-cylinder single turbo's 7.18 was right on the tail of the Celica's best effort of 7.10 and the Celica had twice the pistons and twice the turbos."page 56, second paragraph, September issue volume 18. If Super Street would of said that, then i would expect them to be wrong, they are always fu*king up sh*t like that, but Turbo magazine did, so i take them as a pretty good reliable source.

Nismo241

yeah, but...I've seen the motor and turbo's, it's an RB26DETT with HKS GT3240 twin turbo's putting out right around 1100hp. Now, if that were a four cyl, it would more than likely be the SR20, but the fastest SR20 runs in the 8's if I'm not mistaken. So the probability of that being a 4 cyl is pretty low.

looksLikeA240
Car: break dancing

Turbo mag made a boo boo

SWIFT_DRIFT

anyone notice the RB26 was stoked to 2.8 lol.plus considering this car doesn't officially compete over here, im not suprised magazines like turbo and super street mess up the info....the japs were prolly telling us false info cuz they'd know we would believe it all and print it anyways haha

all i know is that its fun to race the 180drag in GT2 lol

89sxRCR
Car: destroying self esteem

Quote »The AWD wouldn't really make it a better drag car. Theoretically you could get a better launch because the computer will transfer power to the front wheels, but it's not worth it. In competition they are using huge drag tires and the drivers are highly experienced, so they know how to launch. After the holeshot the AWD has so much driveline loss it would kill your ET.[/quote]

AWD is also a LOT more weight, u have to have like another axle up front... a good few hundred pounds more

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”