Downshifting when slowing down

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
AbHat
Car: 2019 Nissan Rouge SV

Downshifting when slowing down

Postby AbHat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 am

I have a 2019 Rogue. I notice that when suddenly slowing down I feel a downshift after the vehicle has almost come to a stop. It does not happen all the time but happens with deceleration is sudden instead of gradual. It's not overtly jerky but surely is noticeable. I have noticed that once in a while in my Honda Civic as well. Not sure its just a CVT feature and normal behavior or something going on with the transmission.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Re: Downshifting when slowing down

Postby casperfun » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am

I know days before CVT's, driving automatics from long ago, you could coast freely for much longer.

But i did notice when i first drove a cvt, the engine braking was much more pronounced and took me getting use too. Didn't really felt that happened with the old cars with automatics when I was growing up.

Don`t know if it's the same thing your complaining about tho. :gotme

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

Postby excel_novice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:00 am

It might be the engine braking. i remember running across a checkbox in my Settings that allows you to uncheck the box to turn engine braking off. Give it a test to see if it makes a difference.

AbHat
Car: 2019 Nissan Rouge SV

Postby AbHat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 am

I had deactivated engine braking. I figured out that setting does nothing. My Rogue still does engine braking when coasting downhill.
The behavior I was seeing was when coming to a complete stop I sense a downshift happening right at the moment the vehicle stops. Its not harsh but can be felt. I think that may be a normal behavior. My Honda Civic with CVT does the same thing when coming to an abrupt stop from higher speeds.

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

Postby excel_novice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:24 pm

oh if it happens the moment the car stops, then my guess is the start/stop engine

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNO ... EW/is.html

if your engine is off at a red light, then you should be able to flip the shifter to the left manual + - setting and the engine should turn back on.

Leo1818

Postby Leo1818 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Pay attention to the RPM. If it happens around 1250, it could be the torque converter lockup. You will feel the same if you accelerating slowing around the same RPM.

Rogue One
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Postby Rogue One » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Yeah, it's sort of a CVT "feature". One of the original selling points of the CVT was not having the jerking motion associated with a traditional transmission. But some people whined that CVT's had a rubber band feeling and they didn't feel like they shifted so Nissan listen to them, and now they "shift". Starting with the 2014 Rogue Nissan added a computer generated shifting simulator. So if a traditional tranny has an abrupt downshift for a hard brake, the CVT would mimic that feeling under the same scenario.
Nissan recently announced changes to its 2015 lineup, with multiple vehicles receiving its D-Step Shift logic technology.

But what exactly is D-Step Shift logic? The technology will be integrated into every CVT-equipped Nissan model for the 2015 model year and its goal is to make the CVT sound and feel less like a CVT. Having been offered on the 2013 four-cylinder Altima and the redesigned 2014 Rogue, D-Step Shift logic can be found on the 2015 Versa, Versa Note, Sentra, Altima V6, Pathfinder and Quest models.

The technology helps create the sensation that a CVT is shifting gears like a traditional automatic transmission even though it isn’t. Of all the automakers in the world, the Nissan leads the way with CVT use and is hoping D-Step Shift logic not only helps respond to critics of the technology, but help cut down on mistaken complaints that the transmission is failing when it feels as if it isn’t changing gears.

The software changes in the D-Step Shift logic technology causes the CVT to jump ahead slightly in the gear ratios around 4,000 RPMs and helps create a subtle momentary drop in driving force to give it a sense of a gear change.

Return to “Rogue Forum”