Downshifting when slowing down

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
AbHat
Car: 2019 Nissan Rouge SV

Downshifting when slowing down

Postby AbHat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 am

I have a 2019 Rogue. I notice that when suddenly slowing down I feel a downshift after the vehicle has almost come to a stop. It does not happen all the time but happens with deceleration is sudden instead of gradual. It's not overtly jerky but surely is noticeable. I have noticed that once in a while in my Honda Civic as well. Not sure its just a CVT feature and normal behavior or something going on with the transmission.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Re: Downshifting when slowing down

Postby casperfun » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am

I know days before CVT's, driving automatics from long ago, you could coast freely for much longer.

But i did notice when i first drove a cvt, the engine braking was much more pronounced and took me getting use too. Didn't really felt that happened with the old cars with automatics when I was growing up.

Don`t know if it's the same thing your complaining about tho. :gotme

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

Postby excel_novice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:00 am

It might be the engine braking. i remember running across a checkbox in my Settings that allows you to uncheck the box to turn engine braking off. Give it a test to see if it makes a difference.

AbHat
Car: 2019 Nissan Rouge SV

Postby AbHat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 am

I had deactivated engine braking. I figured out that setting does nothing. My Rogue still does engine braking when coasting downhill.
The behavior I was seeing was when coming to a complete stop I sense a downshift happening right at the moment the vehicle stops. Its not harsh but can be felt. I think that may be a normal behavior. My Honda Civic with CVT does the same thing when coming to an abrupt stop from higher speeds.

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

Postby excel_novice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:24 pm

oh if it happens the moment the car stops, then my guess is the start/stop engine

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNO ... EW/is.html

if your engine is off at a red light, then you should be able to flip the shifter to the left manual + - setting and the engine should turn back on.

Return to “Rogue Forum”