FX35 Passenger Door Lock Actuators are lazy especially in ho

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
dogburrito

I have the problem with my 2003 FX35 Infinity - the passenger doors and rear hatch will not reliably lock/unlock. Anyone with answers?

Here are the clues:

The front passenger door lock is most "lazy" and the problem worsens in hot weather. I think it is a poor ground connection, a connector, or the the Body Control Module. My next step is to disconnect connectors so that I can apply power (or grounding) to the actuator circuit and observe the actuation and get more clues.

What is strange is the problem appeared on the 3 doors all at once - the odds of all three door lock actuators failing all at once are very bad. It is not plausable that all 3 passenger door actuators failed at once while the driver door is OK. There is a common link in the 3 passenger door actuators - the electrical circuitry. The wiring diagram shows no relay (otherwise that would be #1 suspect). They are driven directly from the BCM ( Body Control Module)

I am think that an electrical part of connection is at fault. The driver's door works perfectly. A similar Murano posting indicated the same problem symptons and a mechanic temporarily solved the problem. He cleaned a grounding connection but it lasted a few weeks only so probably the connector is just crap. Perhaps a modification to the original design may be req'd (such as splicing a 14 gu wire to make a better ground connection).
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged threads

tdown

Is it possibly that the battery is getting close to dying? So that the draw of power on the bettery to unlock the doors is now straining the battery. Maybe try to get the battery on a charger, it is the cheapest, least invasive thing to check.

curlyq1269
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX35

I've experienced the same problem. I'm going to try and troubleshoot it. I think that it may possibly be a bad ground, bad switch module or bad body control module. Amazing how it always does it at the most inopportune times as well - I.E. when it's raining or when you have both hands full. My locks don't always work from the lock switch or the keyless entry. Intermittent problems are worse than constant problems. At least then, you don't expect them to work. I'll keep you posted if I find the problem. :wtf2: My battery is only a year old, so it shouldn't be a battery issue - at least for me.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Sounds like a door lock actuator is on the way out. Fairly routine repair.

The back door lock signal comes from the passenger door lock actuator.

curlyq1269

One bad door lock actuator would cause the other three passenger ones plus the hatch not to work? Seems odd. I can see if only one didn't work, but all except the driver's door are okay. You've come across this before? usually the front or rear passenger side lock actuator?

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

The rear hatch gets the lock/unlock signal from the passenger side door lock actuator.

Over time these may wear out, they are random but pretty easy to test.

If they partially move your power supply and ground are good. If three of the four doors partially work my guess would be that the rear doors have been slowly going for some time and the passenger door finally drew the attention.

If your drivers door is slow to react the drivers door lock actuator is the cause.

curlyq1269

Thanks. I will give it a try.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

The door lock actuator is typically a wearing item. For your own sake and your family safety your should have this repaired and pursue a reimbursement. Its already been almost two years and you are still living with a partially broken fx. The solenoid ages after several years of use it happens, I do not see allot of success in this but who knows they extended the warranty on the dashs and wood trims in some models. However when they do that they reimburse people who paid for a replacement(at a dealer).
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1705530218 ... r&_lwgsi=y
A google search returns several sets of instructions that walk you through the installation.

jbeckermtb
Car: FX35

I have a 2003 FX35 with about 130,000 miles. The drivers side door lock actuator started working intermittently and then quit all together. I had a local shop replace it ($450) and that knocked out all the others and then the remote didn't work. I ended up using the key for a few months and then had to replace the battery. The positive terminal had alot of corrosion on it, so I cleaned it and installed new battery.

With the new battery the remote and all door lock actuators work great. If you have this issue with the actuators I suggest replacing the battery before you have the lock actuator replace/worked on.

rayfast69
Car: 2004 fx45

My 2004 fx45 has a problem with the door locks, the drivers door never opens or closes with the remote and the others open
sometimes but will not close ever. but the back hatch door allways opens and closes with remote or by pressing the
rear button, could this be a problem with the BMC (body control module)

lsfeder
Car: 2004 FX35

Hello Everyone,
I am at my wits end with my car. 2004 FX35 with about 70K on it. My left rear passenger door lock is acting up in a way that I dont know what could be the cause. Here is the story: In 2010 I replaced the same actuator because it would not lock/unlock as it should (normal issue). Fast forward to about a month ago, on a road trip all of a sudden the same door would not open at all. Unlocking/locking both electronically and manually had no effect. I read online that this issue has happened to other Nissan owners, and the only way to release the door is by obliterating the actuator to physically manipulate the mechanism. So I ordered a new part, and destroyed the old lock, got the door open, installed the new part. The door opened and closed perfectly fine from inside and outside, so I then proceeded to do a lock test. I shut the door, locked the car, attempted to open the door from outside with the doors locked to make sure it was locking properly. Then I unlocked all the doors, and now the stupid door is jammed shut again!! Manually manipulating the locks makes no difference. I opened all doors to see if maybe another actuator was failing, but nothing. Disconnected the car battery and manually opened the lock, still no response, the thing is jammed shut again. There must be something I am missing here, since I doubt its the actuator (its brand new!!). And I cant bring myself to now have to obliterate a brand new actuator that cost me 200 effing dollars. Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this before? What should I do? All advise is appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by Rogue One on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

Tuanis
Car: Murano

:mike I found a easy and affordable solution, I decided to purchased a high quality repair kit from ebay that has life-time warranty and now the locks has been working perfectly for over a year (when I tried the $5 fix mention on this forum the cheap actuators broke in less than a month ) to those who want to get it right the first time just search "FX35 or FX45 lock repair kit" on eBay. here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-FX-FX3 ... d0&vxp=mtr

ron69

i bought mine from eBay also, i did read the 5 dollar fix on another site and a few people posted it only worked for a while before the had to replace it.I refuse to pay the dealer 489 to replace the actuator so i went to eBay to find 1.Found a repair kit for $50 bucks so i figured i would give it a try,glad i did it works like a charm and it wasn't that hard to put it in.Here is the link if anybody is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281372476211?ss ... 1555.l2649

ron69

NO not a BCM problem , its a door lock actuator problem.I had the same problem with my pass rear door and the dealer wanted $479 to fix it. so yours would cost almost 2 grand to fix all 4 doors.check this link out , this is where i got mine and did it myself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281372476211?ss ... 1555.l2649

ron69

Tuanis wrote::mike I found a easy and affordable solution, I decided to purchased a high quality repair kit from ebay that has life-time warranty and now the locks has been working perfectly for over a year (when I tried the $5 fix mention on this forum the cheap actuators broke in less than a month ) to those who want to get it right the first time just search "FX35 or FX45 lock repair kit" on eBay. here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-FX-FX3 ... d0&vxp=mtr
here one that i found for less on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/281372476211?ss ... 1555.l2649

dtwf
Car: several

This is a very common problem . I make door lock actuator repair kits so you dont have to go thru alot of work and spend a bunch of money . Any one with a door lock actuator problem is welcome to go to my website for help or to buy a repair kit to fix your factory actuator .
Just trying to help each other out .The site is REDACTED
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted unapproved content

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”