Door keys!

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
srl311too

My truck came with no door keys.  Can anyone tell me what blank I would need or what it looks like.  I suppose I could use the passenger door cylinder as a template to cut the key!

Thanks in advance!
 Phil

DanielC

You might be able to get a key, or keys made at a locksmith, by taking the lock cylinder to them.  I have had a locksmith make a key for me that way.  They find a blank that fits, and gently work it in the lock, and somehow get an idea of the amount they need to grind the key.  You need a locksmith with a shop, not just a store clerk with a key grinding machine.

srl311too

Since I posted the question I found this web site:
http://www.keys4classics.com/html/Datsun_early.html
Supposedly if I can find a number on the cylinder they can make a key.  Now I just have to figure out which key it is.  Any help!?

IMH

[user=287]srl311too[/user] wrote: [quote]Since I posted the question I found this web site:
http://www.keys4classics.com/html/Datsun_early.html
Supposedly if I can find a number on the cylinder they can make a key.  Now I just have to figure out which key it is.  Any help!?
[/quote]Don't know if this will help but I bought my blanks from them.  I have a 64 L320 which uses a DAT4R which is #166 on their site.

srl311too

Thanks Steven for the info.  I went to your link and see you put 390 gears in the diff.  Did you do it at home or have a pro set it up and how is the acceleration now?

IMH

Well, the acceleration would probably be better if I had kept the stock 4.88 but I wanted to be able to drive it on the freeway.  With the J16, Weber, 5 speed, etc., it will out accelerate a stock 320 but it's not exactly what you'd call a speed burner but I enjoy driving it a lot more than I did when it was stock.  Now if I could just do some kind of a brake upgrade or add AC. . . . . . . . .

srl311too

I got a pair of tumblers with a key fron evilbay meant for a tall roadster and they worked perfect!

IMH

I noticed that I didn't answer your other question.  The 3.90 differential is from a Datsun roadster with the 320 side gears installed so that it mates with the 320 axles.

srl311too

I pulled an axle and tested it in a roadster pumpkin.  As you know, the spider gears are different.  I have been able to remove them in a GM rearend but the roadster is smaller and the pin which holds the spider gears won't clear the ring gear.  I am looking for another truck pumpkin so I can get the gears changed without modifying the present one in the truck.  I like to have backup parts!

IMH

When I said spider gears, I meant to say side gears or whatever you call the gears the axle fits into.  They seemed to swap out farily easily as I recall and they've been in the truck for the last 9 years with not problems.  But mine is a 320 and maybe a 520 is different.

srl311too

When I looked at the roadster pumpkin, there is a pin which retains two small gears which are in direct contact with the side gears which the axles would engage.  these small gears are held in  place with a pin.  I have removed this pig in other diffs in order to remove the side gears but in this on it appears that the pin will not clear the ring gear.  Perhaps you did something that I can't see.  Do tell how you did it!

Thanks
Phil!

IMH

I did it so long ago that I really dont remember the details but I didn't have any problems getting the roadster side gears out and the 320 side gears in.  Maybe someone who's done it recently will chime in.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”