Door Handle Recall

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
jerryc41
Car: 2009 Cube SL

We got a letter from Nissan saying that they would replace our rear door handles and related hardware as part of a voluntary recall. Anyone know what that's about?

TBrack
Car: none

I haven't gotten that letter yet but I'll keep a look out.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Nothing rec'd here yet either. Keep us posted on what it's all about.

renscube
Car: Nissan Cube

Ya I got mine done already. I think they replaced the rear door handles. I didnt get a reason why though. I also got my Valve Stem caps replaced. There was another recall for the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. They said the original caps would rust out so they replaced them also. So you might want to check with your dealer.

jerryc41

The TPMS mounting nut could corrode when exposed to road salt that is used in certain states. The letter had a list of states that use road salt. Of course if you buy a car in Florida and sell it to someone in New England, the corrosion could be a problem. I got the impression from the Nissan letter that the recall was only for certain states.

I'm having my door handles replaced tomorrow, so I'll see what info I can get from the dealer.

ewraven
Car: 2009 Superblack Cube KROM

I am in Texas and got the valve stem nuts replaced under the recall...

The new back door handles have a more solid feel. They did have to order them though. So make sure your dealers have the parts required before wasting your time to go there.

jyroflux
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 1.8 SL

I just got my recall. Even though I live in California, I have relatives in some of the states affected, so I'd rather be safe in case I drive my Cube to visit them. Do the new handles look the same?

ewraven
Car: 2009 Superblack Cube KROM

Other than being a little harder to open, the door handles look the same to me.

Marszain
Car: 2009 Cube

We got the letter in today's mail [12.26.09].Live in California near the coast.We actually have had not problems with the rear door handle but will be setting up an appointment to have the corrections made.Never had heard of a TPMS before and was surprised that the recall notice said that if the nut comes out of the sensor is can cause your tire to go flat.We have only had flats when we have hit road debris, so that is a new one for us.

OctoberKillz
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 1.8S

Yep, just got my letter in the mail today stating a recall for both the tire pressure monitor nut and rear door handles.

KromCube
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom

Just got back from the dealership, they installed the new back door handles, which look normal and feel way better and they fixed the TPMS sensors too. It was quick (about an hour), and we were out of there.

jyroflux

I bought my Cube at Mossy Nissan here in San Diego. I'm underwhelmed by their service department. I called to schedule an appointment for the recall and for my 6 month oil change under my service contract. I was informed that the door handle recall would require three hours of diagnostics. I laughed at her and told her she was nuts. Even when I scheduled my first oil changed they tried to get me to leave my Cube and used their (one-way) shuttle service or walk down the street a ways and get a complimentary rental car. For an oil change? They tried the same thing this time. I told them I would be waiting and I knew how long it all should take and reminded them I would be filling out the customer service survey I'm e-mailed after every visit. After my first oil change I indicated on that survey I was unhappy with the level of service I was given and that a simple oil change shouldn't require leaving my Cube.

So, should I take my service contract to another dealer?

KromCube
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube Krom

jyroflux wrote: So, should I take my service contract to another dealer?
Yeah, if they treat you like that, and its not anymore of a hassel to get to another dealer, go for it. I get my oil changed at Walmart and they do it quick. When I got my handles installed, it took about an hour and 10 - 15 minutes give or take.

OctoberKillz
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 1.8S

Went to the dealership last week but the recall parts were on a nationwide back order so they will call me when they come in. Probably could be a while..

jyroflux

I wonder if the person who took my call even checked stock. This dealership has several locations and when you call it goes to a central location.

jerryc41

My dealer notified me to bring my Cube in for the recall, but it turned out it was just for the TPMS. They had to order the door handles so they get the right color. About two weeks later, they called and I had the handles installed.

My dealer has a nice waiting room, with free coffee and delicious donuts, so waiting isn't a problem.

Pattington22
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube SL w/ CVT

Does anyone know if the recall applies in Canada as well? I just bought a Cube and I am scheduled to pick it up tomorrow...should I just have that taken care of before taking ownership?

jyroflux

Huh. I took the Cube in today for the recall. I got the rear door handles replaced, the TPMS nuts replaced, the 6-month service (oil change, tire rotation, etc) and a car wash in just under two hours. This was even after telling me how long each portion would take - which added up to 5+ hours. Maybe it's because of how I filled out the after service e-mail questionnaire before (mentioned above).

Return to “Cube Forum”