Don't judge a Festiva

Want to talk about non-Nissan cars? Here's the place!
Rex
Car: None

Looks simple enough, victim of the old hedlight theft, huh?

Rex

Well maybe not???

Rex

What does he think he's doing? (see far lane)

Rex

Ohhh, that's what he was doing

navysnail
Car: 1990 240sx fastback

damn, that is one hell of a sleeper

Jesda

Lacking "Free Tibet" and "My Child Is An Honor Student At..." bumper stickers.

Rex

From what I could tell he's running a 323 GTX turbo motor, and is getting north of 300 hp. Power to weight is one of the best ratios ever .

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

saying that, approximately how much do they weigh?

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

Theres a guy here in town with a modded out swift gt. It's pretty sweet. For those of you who dont know, it's a metro body with a 1.3L dohc motor. It's decently quick. Ran a 16.0 bone stock last time I saw it. It's not stock anymore.

Rex

nismofly wrote:saying that, approximately how much do they weigh?
Curb weight is listed at ~1800 lbs stock. Slight variation if auto/man and L/GL trim.

Needless to say, it's light-weight stock. Not to mention if he stripped the interior down.

nismofly

so when you say one of the best ever power to weight ratios its definately arguable, what about like a turbo lotus elise, those cars only weigh 1500 lbs...

not to mention we could bust out like a formula 1 car, over 900hp on a 1200 lb. car...but that just wouldnt be fair

Rex

Sorry for the confusion, but I wasn't saying it had one of the best ever power to weight ratios ever, I was saying that power to weight itself (the measurement) is one of the best ever ratios. As in better than gear ratios, etc.

nismofly

aahh ok

yeah i prefer power to weight over pretty much anything

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

haha comedy...

I need to get one of the hatchback GTX's for a new daily driver...

Rex

Mr1der wrote:haha comedy...

I need to get one of the hatchback GTX's for a new daily driver...
I've been looking HARD at doing that. That's how I came across this.

My brother has one and it serves him well. He considers it an upgrade from his lot of 70 & 71 510's.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Damn that is sweet

I know theyre not tremendously heavy, because my teacher in my freshman year had one, and we picked it up and moved it around

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

WOW!

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I'm fairly certain that Jay Leno has got a custom modded out Festiva in amongst his car collection. I saw it one of those "Dateline NBC" type shows probably 2-3 years ago. If I remember correctly his puts out 350 hp and I believe the engine is where the hatch is supposed to be.

Rex

So someone basicallt built him an R5?

Rex

Do they still make those things??

I prefer the older one.

Rex

Here's one from an SCC article

If you've made it this far and don't know, YES that's a Renault Le Car factory built racer, that was sold to the public.

Rex

SCC article wrote: Possibly the least sporty, most poorly constructed small car ever sold in America was the Renault R5. Known in this country as the LeCar, the Renault looked and drove like a Yugo, only smaller, with less power and worse reliability.

Renault was racing, however. During the late '70s and early '80s, the company was pioneering development of turbocharged engines in its Formula One racing cars. Those 1.5-liter turbo engines eventually reached as high as an estimated 1,200 hp in qualifying trim. Renault wanted to put its turbo expertise to work in rally competition, and the tiny R5 was the designated platform.

But putting a bunch of turbo horses to the ground through the front wheels didn't seem like a good recipe for a fast rally car, so Renault engineers removed the back seat and installed the engine amidships, driving the rear wheels through a five-speed transaxle. To make this version eligible for racing, Renault then had to sell the R5 Turbo in its showrooms. Unfortunately, the manufacturer didn't officially import the little hot rod to America.

Sun International Racing, of Manhattan Beach, Calif., stepped in to fill the void, making the necessary modifications to import the cars legally and selling about 200 of the surprisingly quick little cars through Centennial Motors, a dealer in Boulder, Colo. A few dozen others came in through other channels. Renault wasn't amused, and put the "gray-market" R5 Turbos on its most unwanted list. The company even instructed its dealers to stop providing parts or service for the outlaws.

The R5's 1,397cc pushrod engine featured an aluminum head with beautifully formed hemi combustion chambers. In the stock factory turbo configuration, the engine was good for 160 hp. In the early '80s, this was an astounding number. Optional 185-hp and 200-hp upgrade kits were available from the factory, and the aftermarket has since jumped in with 300-hp versions.

In a new 185-hp car, Car and Driver got a 6.5-second 0-60 and a 14.6-second quarter mile before reaching a top speed of 124 mph. But drag racing isn't the Turbo's forte, given its tall, road-racing gearing and its tool-shed aerodynamics obviously limit its top speed potential.

For high-speed assaults on twisty mountain roads, however, the car may be without equal. The 40/60 weight distribution, race-spec unequal-length control arm suspension at all four corners, unboosted rack-and-pinion steering and unboosted four-wheel disc brakes provide awesome feedback. Drivers accustomed to front-wheel drive would be amazed at the direct feeling of the steering and the available power oversteer.

The engine delivers little power at the low end, but the output grows shockingly as the turbo boost needle swings clockwise. Kept on the boil, the R5 Turbo is like riding a lit bottle rocket. For some reason, there's virtually no audible turbo whine, so the boost gauge and the neck-snapping surge of acceleration are the only clues the car is turbocharged. Well, that and the 6-inch tall "TURBO" lettering across the back window.

The turbo's plumbing is short and direct, which contributes to minimal lag and reflects Renault's experience in Formula One. Heat, often a gremlin in turbocharged cars, is well managed with insulation and heat shielding in the R5's remarkably sanitary engine bay.

The Turbo 2 shown here is a later, less-expensive machine than the original rally replica sold in 1980-'81. That car featured an aluminum hood and roof, while the Turbo 2, sold between 1982 and '86, made do with the steel components from the standard R5. The Turbo 2 also used the standard R5 dashboard, while the original Turbo had a Euro-disco styled dash, which added to the cost, but didn't make the car go any faster.

The Turbo 2's sparse, angular dash is a study in period architecture, with its sharp-edged "futuristic" gauge binnacle. The speedometer, tach and water temperature gauges are standard R5 fare, though the boost gauge mounts in the center stack.

The Turbo 2's wheels are unfashionably small in diameter compared with modern sport coupes, and their turbine styling predates today's preferred spoked wheels. What's really interesting about them, however, is their size. The fronts measure 14 3/8 inches in diameter. The rears are 15 3/8 inches. The reason for this is their original Michelin TRX radials.

In the late '70s, to keep their newly designed, new construction radial from being mounted on standard wheels, Michelin used metric-sized wheels. The fronts are 365mm and the rears are 390mm. The design, however, offered no benefits over conventionally sized tires on standard wheels, and was discarded.

In width and aspect ratio, the Turbo's tires were well ahead of their time. The lightly loaded fronts are 55 series, and are 190mm wide, while the rears have the same profile but are 220mm wide. Fortunately, TRX tires are still available for R5 Turbo owners. Unfortunately, they leave the cars saddled with tires that were designed in '80s.

'New, the Turbo 2 listed for $22,500, in its standard 160-hp configuration. This was roughly the same price as the Porsche 944 of the same era. Today, old Turbo 2s are worth about $15,000 to $20,000 (unlike old 944s), according to Sun International Racing president Tom Calahane. The earlier, rarer Turbo 1 models are a bit pricier. Sun still sells parts for the cars through its Web site at http://www.thesunsite.com.

Jerry Fink, proprietor of Pennsylvania turbo tuner Laminar Concepts, owns a pair of Turbo 2s and has worked on many of them for customers. He estimates about 200 of the original 250 Turbo 2s imported to the United States are still on the road, while barely more than a dozen of the original 25 or so Turbo 1s are still in circulation.

Rex

Yes, that's behind the seats

Rex

Mr1der

Jay's car was the SHO-Gun with the SHO motor in the back seat...they made two of them I think...

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Rex wrote:Looks simple enough, victim of the old hedlight theft, huh?
That's a shame. Broke his headlight and now his blinker fluid is all over the ground

Mr1der

it looks like it was in a fight with Mirko Filipovic and he busted it's eye socket like he did Bob Sapp....only he got the eye too.

Rex

Mr1der wrote:Jay's car was the SHO-Gun with the SHO motor in the back seat...they made two of them I think...

Rex

NOS as well??

Rex

From "Turbo magazine" issue unknown (anyone?) :

The Shogun is a Ford Festiva-based road rocket that, taking into account it's beefy rear fender flares and aggressive air vents, looks like it was created to do battle with the Renault R5. The Shogun was a concept car developed in 1990 to shocase the talents of the Yamaha-based SHO V6 engine. These cars were manufactured as a join venture between Chuck Beck of Special Editions Inc., in Upland, California and Rick Titus and only 9 were originally produced.

The mid-engine rear-wheel drive dynamo relied on the SHO Taurus for a good deal of its parts. The most inspiring, of course, is the 3.0-liter, 24-valve, Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI) SHO V6 (Jay is insulated from the 3.0 liter's loudness by a plexiglass divider). Thanks to Special Editions, the Shogun lives on and can be constructed if someone with a donor vehicle has the courage. A Ford Festiva is agumented with numerous high-quality body pieces including fender-flares, a trick front airdam outfitted with PIAA driving lights, special vented hood and rear fenders with venting grills. With 220 horsepower and a 2190-pound gross vehicle weight, the cars 9.95:1 power-to-weight ratio promises to pack a punch (note: with the shot of nitrous, this changes drastically from 9.95:1 to 7.06:1).

A true enthusiast like the rest of us, 220 horses just wouldn't cut it with Jay. So, being a man with a sensitive funny bone, he (naturally) turned to laughing gas for a power infusion. The car was delivered to Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) in Cypress, California where a dry manifold nitrous system was installed with NOS's trick throttle-sensitive Progressive Nitrous Oxide Injection. A dry manifold setup injects the nitrous int othe intake tract just upstream of the throttle body. Once activated, additional fuel provided by raising the fuel pressure from about 40psi to approximately 75psi. The Progressive Nitrous Oxide Injection circuitry controls the rate in which the nitrous is intrdoced. Technically, the primary Super Powershot nitrous solenoid is pulsewith modulated proportional to throttle position. In the car, this translates to the following. Once half throttle is attained nitrous is injected in a linear fashion as the throttle heads to wide open. At wide open throttle the nitrous system is also wide open providing as much gas as the system is jetted for. Jay's Shogun is jetted to provide 300 to 310 horsepower, a gain of approximately 90 ponies. The introduces the nitrous in a much less shocking manner as the additional power comes on smoother. This is good, comsidering the SHogun can be made quite tail-happy with a little right-foot effort. The system on the Shogun includes a 15-pound bottle capable of 3-4 minutes of WOT operation, a bottle heater and an electronic bottle valve that opens and closes the valve from the cockpit. The hatchback runs wild SuperTrapp mufflers which allow Jay to wake up the neighbors at a moments notice. Performance testing stock Shoguns were capable of posting some pretty impressive numbers. The car had published 0-60 times in the 4.6 second range. The Shogun sported quarter-mile performance of 12.9 seconds. Note these are WITHOUT power adders.

Return to “Others”