DOHC swap : Won't IDLE

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
theman4444

'91 DOHC is being swapped into a '89 body

It will turn over but won't start unless you pump the gas. Then it won't idle unless you slightly press the throttle.

We changed out the MAF and then it started to idle, so we were trying to set the timing when it died. After that we could get it started, but now it won't idle again... Tried and tried to set timing but it's hard when you can't get it to idle. We thought maybe it was a tooth off but changing that really hasn't helped.

Checked the spark plugs and they are getting fouled/black pretty fast, so we clean them every couple tries. There is also a strong smell of gas. It will run pretty good when I get above 1000 but anything lower and she shakes and misses.

What could this be? Maybe IACV, leaky injectors, or still bad timing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Modified by theman4444 at 9:47 AM 8/11/2006

theman4444

OK... today was a big day... so we take out all plugs and we were going to check compression on each cylinder. We put in the tester in the first plug hole and turn her over. SQUIRT!!! SQUIRT!!! there is gasoline EVERYWHERE! it is shooting out cylinder number 2 and about 10 feet up into the air...

We stop all testing and look into the cylinder and gas is being POURED into cylinder 2 from a stuck injector. My friend got covered in gasoline and we all laughed about it and had a gasoline fight afterward. We stop all flow to that cylinder and check compression again.

Cyl 1 160Cyl 2 155? can't rememberCyl 3 170Cyl 4 162

Supposedly this is with a 'leaky' tester so my actual compression should be a little higher, but that's pretty good for a newly rebuilt motor, right?

ok so we swap out the entire fuel rail with another spare we have lying around and it works. It works good. she now can IDLE!! A simple twist of the idle screw and she stays on.

so we try to rev her up and she bogs down somewhere around 2K? I don't know I don't have a DOHC tach yet... anything over 2K and she will bog bog bog. if you rev her a little she can get over it but she usually doesn't want to get over that 2500 mark. I know it's not the MAF because we have one that I KNOW works.

After playing a while with her she starts smoking... We think nothing of it as it is a newly rebuilt motor. We are trying to figure out why she's smoking and we find out that cylinder 4 isn't firing for some reason. A couple "light" taps with the back end of a screw driver and she works again!!! Hello 4th cylinder. It's good to see you again.

Even though we are now working with four cylinders we still can't seem to get over the bog after about 2500 RPM unless we keep reving till she slowly works past it. AND to make matters worse she's smoking big now... Big billowing white smoke....

We have no idea why she's doing it but the temp sensor says she's running hot, real hot. I read on this Wikipedia source that if you don't change out the DOHC temp sensor it will read high, so we didn't think much of it. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/N...A24DE
Wikibooks wrote:-the water temperature sensor from the SOHC engine needs to be used. for some reason the resistance is different. if you use the stock sensor from the DOHC engine, it will register on the gauge as being higher than with the SOHC unit.
But even though we thought this might be true we didn't want to chance it and we turned it off. We let it cool then turn it on again and filled the radiator with water. She was THIRSTY!! I'd say she was on her way to being dehydrated. She cooled considerably after that but the white smoke seems to still hang around and we can't figure out the ~2500RPM bog yet. Also there seems to be some rattling coming from the timing cover... A brand new timing kit was used to replace the old one so I don't know about this.

So my main question for you's guys is what could be the bogging throttle problem and what is making all that white smoke? I can't think of a reason for there to be white smoke other than bad rings and we JUST checked compression... I think this has to do with it being overheated, because it didn't happen before that. HELP ME please

Thanks

theman4444

ok ok, It seems to me that I've fixed most of the problems if not all of them.

Firstly, someone said that cars need gas to run??? haha, yeah it was so low on gas that when the stuck injector was pouring fuel into the cylinder that we ran out later. A quick filler-up at the gas station and SHE HOLDS IDLE!!!! (I don't want to tell you how long it took to find this out)

We messed with the timing now that it keeps a strong idle and it seems to stop the chain rattle noise... for now. still might have to look into this one.

The smoke coming from the exhaust we think is because the injector was pouring gas into the cylinder and then it was getting pushed passed the rings. Putting it straight into the oil... so I changed the oil which seemed like it was half gasoline now and I'm pretty sure the smoking has stopped. haven't had time to check it out too much since I've been having so much fun driving this thing around. but I'm pretty sure it's either fixed or very minimal.

now I still need to swap out my tach and get new seats. then on to needed performance parts like new bushing kit and suspension (possibly).

After all that I'll have to find a radio to throw into it. because it's my daily.

One thing fo' sho' is that she pulls hard... especially around the corners

seanman
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

could be bad alternator not putting out a charge, start boggin out cause the spark isnt hot enough and you get extra gas and **** inside that doesnt burn

Grimreefer721
Car: 1991 240sx s13
*KA24DET

2014 Altima S

I'm having a very similar problem bought a freshly rebuilt Motor from someome, and after if gotten everything in it will act simailar, but I also had to swap a new gas tank I got locally and a new fuel pump. But when I crank it, it will start right up and kinda Rev a little higher and then start to idlet but if I let is sit it will still like almost bog out on its own and die, and if I try to give it gas it immediately dies. It's odd.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”