Does your M37/56 ride rough?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
M37owner
Car: 2011 M37

I've had my 2011 M37 since February, and I feel it rides rougher than it should. I assumed it was the old tires (which were the original Michelins), so I waited until I replaced the tires before passing judgment. I just replaced the tires at 42K miles in May, with Bridgestone Serenity Plus (per Tire Rack comparison, they're as good a ride as the Michelins with better wet traction). But my ride is still rough.

I can feel all the road bumps/ripples and vibrations. I feel the harshness in the floor boards, (and steering wheel and shifter to a lesser extent). It's not a suspension stiffness I'm talking about - it's more of a ride quality issue - like I can feel all the road roughness.

I don't believe there is something is really/drastically wrong the car - it's just rougher than I would expect for a $50K+ luxury car. My wife's 2014 Lexus RX350 is much smoother (and that's an SUV). My M37 does not have the Sports package.

So how does your M37/M56 ride?

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Personally I like a sportier feel. That said I feel like my M with eibachs and 20" wheels with Yokohama tires feels smooth as silk on good roads. I didn't like the lack of road feel when I had 18" oem wheels with squishy Michelins. Just my opinion/preference.

M37owner

Mine's not smooth a silk so I'm thinking maybe my wheel bearings are going bad. I can't think of anything else that would cause this feel - unless that's just the way car feels.
I'm going to take it to the dealer for a throttle body and fuel injector cleaning so I'll try to get a loaner "M", and see how it drives. I'll ask the dealer to check over the wheel bearings.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Yeah either a loaner or even just test drive a few M/Q' s to see. Just tell them you're thinking about upgrading. Try to drive a sport with 20" inch wheels.

agoodall
Car: 2011 M37x

I have a 2011 and i roll smooth. some of these post scare me

TheMajesticKing
Car: '11 M56S Aero

I think a lot of it has to do with preference. When I first test drove the M I was expecting an extremely smooth ride. What I got was a very tight and sporty feel that I welcomed greatly. If you're not expecting it or you don't like a sporty rigid suspension then I could imagine that you might feel like something is wrong.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

I have a 11M37S with 20 's Conti's DWS and they ride pretty smooth, have a little road noise but other wise Smooth As Butter, lol

M37owner

My complaint is that I have a vibration when driving on the highway. I feel it in the floor boards and steering wheel. I should not feel this in a luxury sports car. I just put new touring tires on so its not a tire/wheel-balance issue.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

M37owner wrote:My complaint is that I have a vibration when driving on the highway. I feel it in the floor boards and steering wheel. I should not feel this in a luxury sports car. I just put new touring tires on so its not a tire/wheel-balance issue.
LLAMF on this one bruh, hope you find the issue on this and keep us posted

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

Visit your dealer and find a sport equipped M to test drive. If it rides smoother than yours with the OEM Summer Potenza's then there's something wrong with your ride.
I found the summer tire to be very harsh to the point that I thought my breaks had issues. Once I swapped them for new all season Potenza's it went to smooth. I don't think mine drives like "butter', but it's pleasantly smooth...
hope you get it figured out.

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

I am with TheMajesticKing and stm37s on this one.

As TMK mentioned, the ride is tight and sporty. The car feels firmly planted, and does not plow or understeer in corners. I much prefer that type of ride as opposed to something that feels like it is suspended with down pillows, and floats through corners.

As with stm37s, I am also on Conti DWS tires. They do ride pretty smooth, but offer firm handling and decent traction in most conditions.

Overall, I like the sporting nature of the car, and much prefer it to the type of isolated from the road feel of say, a Lexus.

M37owner

I took to Dealer and they agree there is a vibration that shouldn't be there. By end of day they are still not sure were its coming from. Maybe they will have an answer today. I have a loaner Q50, and it rides very nice.

BTW - I told them my steering column makes a squeaking noise when it auto-raises/lowers, and they said that is a known problem. They are replacing the motor in the steering column. I'm glad I mentioned it (and its covered by warranty).

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Glad you are at least making some progress toward figuring it out and that it's covered under warranty. Let us know how it turns out.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Be sure to have the dealership double check that your alignment specs are all correct (camber, caster, and toe). An out of spec toe can cause a rough ride and vibration. Also, have the dealer check your wheels to ensure they are as close to being 100% true as possible. Because a slightly bent wheel(s) will cause vibration and unsmoothness in your ride quality.

M37owner

Dealer replaced right wheel bearing. Also said my new tires have flat spots (maybe true but I doubt it is the problem since vibration existed before and after I put on the tires).
The Dealer asked me to take car home and see how it drives now and let them know if I'm okay with ride now. I have to bring back when a part for the steering wheel trim comes in so I can decide if I'm okay with ride or if they need to keep looking for problem.
It definitely rides better with the new wheel bearing but the vibration is not 100% gone. I think they should have changed the left wheel bearing too. The vibration feels more like its on the left side now (before the vibration was harder to pin point).

I'll post back after I return the car to the dealer and see what else they say or do.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Progress :dblthumb:

Chitown_Badger

M37owner wrote:My complaint is that I have a vibration when driving on the highway. I feel it in the floor boards and steering wheel. I should not feel this in a luxury sports car. I just put new touring tires on so its not a tire/wheel-balance issue.
I test drove an M37 that sounded louder than it should and the car felt like it was revving higher than it should be. It ended up being a bad wheel bearing (the new car manager took us out in it and confirmed.) I don't think the ride was particularly harsh and the one I later ended up purchasing is pretty darn comfy.

M37owner

Both front wheel bearings were replaced. Dealer did the right front under warranty - then I did the left front myself just for peace of mind. The car rides better but still not as nice as the loaner Q50 I had. Dealer says my new tires have flat spots. I'm not convinced that's the case, but I don't know if I will pursue it any further.

Bondospecial
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37X
2000 BMW M5
1986 Porsche 928S
1999 Chevy C1500

Ride quality is so subjective. I feel my M37X rides on the soft/floaty side. But my point of comparison is to my BMW M5 with 35 series tires on it. I did find that tires made a significant difference on the INfiniti, in how hard the tires slap against potholes and expansion joints though. I switched from Yokohama Avid Envigors to Pirelli P7's after only 10k miles on the Yokohamas, because the Yokohamas were very noisy. The Pirellis are quiet but transmit a lot more road texture to the cabin than the Yokohamas did. Although I still feel the car is sprung significantly on the soft side, which for a daily driver is just right for me. The Pirellis are a much higher treadwear rating so they are probably a harder rubber compound.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”