Does your car smell?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

After driving aggressively, does your Y51 stink? It's not quite brakes, and it's not something in the engine. Possibly something in the exhaust? I didn't notice this with my Y50, but the new car is noticably smelly after pushing her. Cause for concern?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Define "stink". Skunk? Dirty socks? Hot tar?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Hmm, it's a mix of like rubber and just general car mechanical smell...like fluids, etc. I looked around the car and everything looks fine. No fluids leaking anywhere, etc. Only happens when I push the car.

AlphaSnacks
Car: 2013 M56S Aero

Nothing I'd call a bad smell. But when I bought my car it did shoot a lot of black soot from the exhaust for a little bit when I'd floor it and redline it. The car had 4K miles on it and belonged to a 65 year old manager of a Maserati dealership and he drove it like the grandpa he was. :p

After some hard driving the black dust would stop and any smells associated with it.

Ilya

Yeah maybe that's all it is. I'm going to seafoam it too soon, that might help as well.

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

Seafoam is snake oil. I would better try to determine the smell and if it occurs *every single time* you drive it hard.

Did you detail your engine compartment lately? Possibility of any other fluids on the exhaust manifolds or block that could burn with a hot motor? Is an exhaust leak possible? All things you should consider if you think it's out of the ordinary.

I do not smell anything odd when I drive hard.

Ilya

SwissCheeseHead wrote:Seafoam is snake oil. I would better try to determine the smell and if it occurs *every single time* you drive it hard.

Did you detail your engine compartment lately? Possibility of any other fluids on the exhaust manifolds or block that could burn with a hot motor? Is an exhaust leak possible? All things you should consider if you think it's out of the ordinary.

I disagree on the seafoam, but it's all good.

No fluids being leaked anywhere that I can see. I looked the whole car over when I had it on the lift the other day. Could be an exhaust leak, but at 40kmi, I doubt this car has had the exhaust gaskets, etc. go on it (especially being that it was a FL car).

It was a lease, so it's possible it wasn't driven this way the first 4 years of it's life...we'll see if it gets worse, better, or stays the same.

SwissCheeseHead

IlyaKol wrote:
SwissCheeseHead wrote:Seafoam is snake oil. I would better try to determine the smell and if it occurs *every single time* you drive it hard.

I disagree on the seafoam, but it's all good.

No fluids being leaked anywhere that I can see. I looked the whole car over when I had it on the lift the other day. Could be an exhaust leak, but at 40kmi, I doubt this car has had the exhaust gaskets, etc. go on it (especially being that it was a FL car).

It was a lease, so it's possible it wasn't driven this way the first 4 years of it's life...we'll see if it gets worse, better, or stays the same.
I won't ever put that stuff in any of my cars but to each his own :dblthumb:

I'm assuming you're all up on your regular maintenance. Maybe just grab a towel and wipe down the exhaust manifolds and engine bay all around. If you can get the car running on a lift to see if there is a leaking cat or gasket, that might be a good idea. It really shouldn't smell like anything other than the interior of the car. Other than that, I hope it goes away.

Ilya

Yeah, I'm getting the car back on the maintenance track I use. Need to change some of the fluids in the next 10kmi (coolant, tranny, diff, etc.) and then I'll be good. Right now car is running an application of Auto-Rx.

We all maintain our cars a little differently. No harm no foul. I haven't had any engine issues on any of the cars I've owned over the years, so whatever I'm doing must be working and/or not hurting anything. I'll stick to what I believe works ;).

SwissCheeseHead

Absolutely. We all have different experiences and ideas of what works best. Please do what you think works best for you. GL!

mbunker
Car: 2008 M35

Hi. I purchased a 2011 m37s 10 days ago and when I push it I get the same smell. Doesn't stink bad but is a little embarrassing. I owned a 08 M35 before this car and it never gave me any smells like my m37.

Did you figure out what is causing it?

Thanks,
Michael Bunker

Ilya

Nope...just learned to deal with it. I get another smell now...the smell of rubber lol. I've been learning how to break this car loose around round-a-bouts, etc. lol. Love having a V8 with gobs of power.

withomps44
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

mbunker wrote:Hi. I purchased a 2011 m37s 10 days ago and when I push it I get the same smell. Doesn't stink bad but is a little embarrassing. I owned a 08 M35 before this car and it never gave me any smells like my m37.

Did you figure out what is causing it?

Thanks,
Michael Bunker
I've noticed "the smell" a couple times. I gave it pretty good hell coming home for lunch and my place is only about 2 minutes off the freeway. I pulled into the garage, shut door, and went inside but noticed "the smell" and was worried I'd busted something loose. Went back to work an hour later... no problem.. no lights... no leaks.... so I gave it hell again on the way home... same smell... I have no idea what it is... it's just there I guess. Wasn't an issue with my car. No smoke, no leaks... I guess it just gets gassy or burps when I ramp up the RPMs and get after it. I still haven't taken it over 100mph. :-/ I'm getting old.

Ilya

I've topped this car out more times than I can count. It gets there SUPER quick lol. Like I said in another thread, off the line it would probably take my 636cc sport bike which will do a mini wheelie if I'm WOT on it; not a slow bike by any means. Once the bike gets to like 25-30mph though, game over. The M56x is like no car I've ever driven before.

That being said, for a little while, I actually thought the smell might be a mix of tire rubber and something else...almost as if the tires are losing just a wee bit of traction as I smash the gas.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I know that smell too. Even though I only have the V6 HR engine (09 M35), almost immediately after giving it the beans, even with the air con ON and windows closed, that smell invades the cabin momentarily and then goes away - especially if I have in DS (sport) mode. That never happened with my 07 M (non-HR engine), so I took it to my Infiniti guy and he had them drive it to get an idea of what it might be. The tech noticed the smell too. They told me they went over everything that might cause the smell and could find nothing wrong. Thier 'guess' is that after hard acceleration, vapors/fumes are released through one or both of the intake ducts and the cabin air vents allow those fumes to enter the cabin. That didn't make sense to me, but I just nodded like I understood. They told me not to worry and charged me 30 minutes labor for the inspection and guess work, LOL. It's still under extended warranty for another 4.5 years / 60k miles so I still give it a punch whenever I feel the need.

austin713
Car: 2011 M37

Real good chance that smell is the Cats burning off unburnt fuel. sometimes it can almost be a sulfuric smell. completely normal. happens alot when i floor it. when i had HFC on my G35 it didnt do it, i guess bc they werent as restrictive.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”