does this belong in my car???

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
thmbalina
Car: 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I have been pulling my car apart. It had random misfire, changed the spark plugs, valve cover (it had a crack in it), cam shaft, and got new ignition coils. Well it still idles really rough and sometimes it wont start. Since I had it dissected I started looking at the wires, and found this, I have no idea what it is but it was so corroded I know that can't be good. I am not totally sure this even belongs on my car. I've been doing some research and well there is not a whole lot of information on the web. I think the wiring was replaced, but am not fully sure.

I'm thinking the wires were swapped from another Nissan, but still can't find a pinpoint answer, any help on identifying where the wires are from or which ones I can replace it with would be greatly appreciated. So I can't upload a picture but google search states it is an ignition condenser, found the part online but it is on other Nissan's and not the 2005 Altima 2.5S

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

Not sure why you say you can't upload a picture, unless you're having trouble doing so with your phone.

Posting pictures using your phone can sometimes be tricky, but not impossible. Images must be added individually, and cannot be added from a google drive account. Worst case scenario, add the links and I'll fix them if need be. You can drop me a PM for assistance.

How to upload pictures on NICOclub:
Using IMGUR
Using TINYPIC

thmbalina

Image black and red wires coming out of gray box

Image this photo is where it was connected to the wiring harness (cut black and red wire)

Image view inside

thmbalina

Thanks Rouge One, I was actually on the desktop, but have never used this type of imaging software, learned something new today!

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Ignition condenser or capacitor generally goes somewhere around the coil power supply wires, it stops coil powering on and off from messing with radio sound by making static. Car will run fine without it but the bare wires MUST be looked up and covered up as that is a direct short waiting to happen. The wires do NOT join.

thmbalina

could that have been causing my rough idle? before I cleaned it it had a lot of gunky mess inside around the prongs, I cleaned it up a little then checked it with a multimeter (youtube how to video) and it was bad

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Won't cause rough idle, more like will not run at all. Grounded it shorts the coil out to not run at all.

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

Here are some things you can do to find the cause of your random misfire. While the engine is running pull one spark plug up just enough to hear the spark. One at a time. This might trigger a check engine light. If one doesn’t make the pop from the spark you could have a loose connection or corrosion at the ignition coil connector. Next check is while the engine is some what cool spray brake cleaner with the straw attached in short burst at all the intake manifold vacuum lines and intake ports. * Use caution * if the engine stumbles find the source of the leak & repair. Next check is clean the mass air flow and do a throttle position relearn. (You tube) random misfires are usually caused by vacuum leaks or air not being measured properly by the ecm.

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

yikes that's a big bump from 2019... hopefully, the OP has sealed off the wires and has it running without the capacitor

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”