Does the M35 come detuned?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
infdrvr
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Ive recently purchased a 2006 M35 sport and i noticed that the 3.5 V6 doesn’t make as much power as the other VQ’s of its time. Does this mean the car comes tuned down from the factory? or are there other parts that have been altered to make less power. If the car is actually tuned down is there any way to bring back some of that power without any boltons or modifications? let me know!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

You can get an UpRev tune which might unlock a HP or two but without boltons, you won't see much.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

The M is just a heavier vehicle with a good bit more sound dampening than the G was. As soon as the G moved to a 7 speed trans it also felt much more peppier.

You can either add some mods and do an UpRev tune to add some actual HP to the car, or you could replace the rear differential with one from a 2007-2008 G37 to get a higher gear ratio and it will make the car feel a good bit lighter on its feet but will trade some HP loss for torque gain.

joey1221joey
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 Sport

the M weighs about 400 pounds more, even more if it's the sport with the RAS and with all packages, the vq35de engines in the m only rev to 6600 stock aswell, depending the model g or z they have the vq35de "rev-up" which adds variable exhaust cams to the engine and some other goodies allowing it to rev to 7000. The m never got this engine sadly but did get the HR later down the line in later model M's. Even with it being 400 pounds heavier, bolt ons, a tune, and a trans-go kit will make it a lot more peppy :biggrin:

Cohaagen
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35x

joey1221joey wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:26 am
Even with it being 400 pounds heavier, bolt ons, a tune, and a trans-go kit will make it a lot more peppy :biggrin:
For us newer M owners, could you elaborate on this a bit?
When you say tune, what do you mean specifically?

Do you have a bolt-on parts list that you could share? Is there a better order to install the parts in? Do you have a trans-go kit part number?

Thanks in advance!

EniGmA1987

Cohaagen wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:10 pm
joey1221joey wrote:
Even with it being 400 pounds heavier, bolt ons, a tune, and a trans-go kit will make it a lot more peppy :biggrin:

Do you have a bolt-on parts list that you could share? Is there a better order to install the parts in? Do you have a trans-go kit part number?

Thanks in advance!
"Bolt-Ons" means things like intake and exhaust. If you replace your intake with a cold air intake from Injun and get rid of the stock airbox it will give you 2-5 extra HP. Replacing your old catalytic converters with newer high-flow (but still federal smog legal) cats will give you a few extra HP too. Replacing the stock Y pipe (first exhaust piece after cats) and mid-pipes (2nd exhaust piece after cats) with a real x pipe will give you another 1-2hp, and replacing the mufflers with a more straight-through design could also give you another HP or two. If you got a new, larger throttle body (I think there is a bolt-on 75mm) that could give you another 5-10 or so HP, and if you added an intake manifold spacer you could add 5-10HP as well. Get an Up-Rev tune after all of that and you could turn all that stuff into 20-25 more wheel horsepower. That is a lot of money for the horsepower, but it is fun to do. You'd probably be looking at around $2,000 for all that.

The transgo shift kit makes the transmission shift faster which improves acceleration and also makes the car feel a bit more sporty.

EniGmA1987

The Transgo part number is:
RE5R05A-HD2

joey1221joey
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 Sport

Cohaagen wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:10 pm
joey1221joey wrote:

Thanks in advance!
yes as enigma stated, the injen intake, is a Cold air, it goes deep into the front left Infront of the wheel well i believe, Ive also seen some people just do a intake resonator delete with a "Z tube" and got a high flow factory location filter (K&N). Most parts other than after the Ypipe are the same as other VQ vehicles, that being said I believe the same headers, cats/test pipes and y pipe for any g35/350z should fit (I believe). as for the midpipe of the exhaust only option ive seen readily available off the shelf is the Megan racing midpipe, other options exist in Japan but far too expensive for any real gains to outweigh the cost. As for the axle back, there is the Megan and tanabe axleback, others exist but super expensive. Back to the intake, you can get the upper and lower plenums ported, aswell as a plenum spacer, and maybe a bigger throttle body if you want. As for the trans the transgo kit could be used, Id say if you havent do a flush on the trans before you beat on it with older fluid :biggrin: :biggrin: If you wanna go deeper into the rabbit hole, you can do a idler pulley delete or a lighter idler pulley and lightweight pulleys aswell. One other thing people do is colder plugs.
some people also do catch cans, which is basically a necessity since these engines got lots of blowby,
as for the orders to do these in, Id say the exhaust as it provides the most enjoyment, id do that first :chuckle:

As for the tune Ive only seen people do them, Haven't dove into it myself since im in cali, but I believe they use UpRev, most nissan tuners know how to use this software :mike Im broke so I have just kept my car stock and driven like a grandma so have yet to really experiment

infdrvr
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Ive heard that it’s difficult or straight up not possible to uprev the DE and the uprev software was only made for the HR version of the vq. has anyone been able to successfully uprev their M?

EniGmA1987

UpRev works perfectly fine on a DE

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

infdrvr wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:34 pm
Ive heard that it’s difficult or straight up not possible to uprev the DE and the uprev software was only made for the HR version of the vq. has anyone been able to successfully uprev their M?
Not true.

Uprev works fine on a VQ35de to include the earliest models.
For bolt ons I like high flow cats as your highest payoff.
The are the single greatest restriction.
Exhaust and intake offer only incremental improvements in my humble opinion.
The factory exhaust and intake are already pretty free flowing.
I seen respectable results in years past with only high flow cats and a retune (before I went forced induction on a VQ35de)

Wait until its time to do your cats anyway.
Then contact AAM in Maryland for a pair of highflows (other places also make them but I am only familiar with AAM).
Your retune you can get done locally on a dyno ( recommended)
You can raise the revlimit on a VQ35de to 7000 rpm without fear as part of your Uprev tune.
(I had it as 7100 with no ill effects but if I were to do it again I'd probably back off to 7,000)

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”