Does the fan roar at cold start and goes away after a few seconds?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
J30boy31
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30

Please help me make my decision of replacing the fan clutch or not and tell me if you j30 owners hear the fan get loud at cold start but then gets quiet after a few seconds? I drove my car tonight and it was alot colder outside and it didnt roar at all while accelerating it seems to do it only when its hot outside is this normal? It will roar when its hot outside and car is warmed up while accelerating.

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

Turkeypantz
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

1977 Datsun 280z

Previous:
1981 Celica Gt
1982 Prelude
1984 Brat
1982 280zx N/A
1990 Integra 4dr 5spd
1993 Maxima GXE
1984 Celica GT
1986 MK2 Supra P-type

I've had nothing but trouble with the belt-driven fan. Aside from it seeming out of balance with all new OEM water pump, wp pulley, clutch, and fan blade, it caused the mounting "flange" to walk off the water pump shaft with 250 miles. The reason for all the new parts was because of even bigger catastrophe cause by the fan.
I felt the original fan clutch and the new OEM clutch engaged too easily. The loud wooshing noise in a luxury car didn't seem right. The obvious drag on the engine power was frustrating. When the clutch disengaged it was quiet, powerful, and glided like an Infiniti should.
Now, the only thing that it's mounted on my water pump is the water pump pulley. My j30 is now the proud owner of a 1995 Ford Taurus electric fan. It's a popular fan for cooling off road jeeps, old hot rods, and budget dragsters. There's another category on this site with a conversation about it. Some say the Dorman Ford Taurus doesn't pull the same cfm as the OEM. So I grabbed a junkyard piece. I cut the upper radiator hose in half and installed an adapter to accept a temp sensor. The temperature sensor came with the wiring kit I bought.
I idled for a half hour on a 95 degree day. The temp gauge stayed a needle's width below half.
Anyone can write too me for more details. [email protected]

J30boy31

Turkeypantz wrote:I've had nothing but trouble with the belt-driven fan. Aside from it seeming out of balance with all new OEM water pump, wp pulley, clutch, and fan blade, it caused the mounting "flange" to walk off the water pump shaft with 250 miles. The reason for all the new parts was because of even bigger catastrophe cause by the fan.
I felt the original fan clutch and the new OEM clutch engaged too easily. The loud wooshing noise in a luxury car didn't seem right. The obvious drag on the engine power was frustrating. When the clutch disengaged it was quiet, powerful, and glided like an Infiniti should.
Now, the only thing that it's mounted on my water pump is the water pump pulley. My j30 is now the proud owner of a 1995 Ford Taurus electric fan. It's a popular fan for cooling off road jeeps, old hot rods, and budget dragsters. There's another category on this site with a conversation about it. Some say the Dorman Ford Taurus doesn't pull the same cfm as the OEM. So I grabbed a junkyard piece. I cut the upper radiator hose in half and installed an adapter to accept a temp sensor. The temperature sensor came with the wiring kit I bought.
I idled for a half hour on a 95 degree day. The temp gauge stayed a needle's width below half.
Anyone can write too me for more details. [email protected]
So if i get a new fan clutch the roaring wont go away? Its normal for the fan to spin fast/roar on cold start for a few seconds and turn off? Spin fast/roar whencar is warmed up and hot outside?

J30tChumpCar
Car: 1995 J30t Totaled @ Charlotte motor speedway
1994 J30 gutted caged road racer Now with VH45DE!
1966 Chevy Corvair V8 mid-ship conversion

You have normal operation, most makes of cars do the same till the silicone within the thermostatic clutch disperses from its slumber, where at that point, it mostly freewheels till hot where the unit noticeably ramps up fan speed (and noise)to maintain cooling.

Are you trying to fix some kind of issue or just worried about observation?

J30boy31

J30tChumpCar wrote:You have normal operation, most makes of cars do the same till the silicone within the thermostatic clutch disperses from its slumber, where at that point, it mostly freewheels till hot where the unit noticeably ramps up fan speed (and noise)to maintain cooling.

Do you own a j30 and it does the samething? I just feel the car feels like its lacking power when the fan is constantly roaring and i owned 2 of these cars years ago but dont recall the fan roaring but im not 100% since it was long ago.

J30tChumpCar

J30boy31 wrote:
J30tChumpCar wrote:You have normal operation, most makes of cars do the same till the silicone within the thermostatic clutch disperses from its slumber, where at that point, it mostly freewheels till hot where the unit noticeably ramps up fan speed (and noise)to maintain cooling.

Do you own a j30 and it does the samething? I just feel the car feels like its lacking power when the fan is constantly roaring and i owned 2 of these cars years ago but dont recall the fan roaring but im not 100% since it was long ago.

Does the fan take HP? Absolutely! That is why there is a thermostatically controlled fan clutch.
When its roaring its cooling, if its stuck that way there is a problem, when it cycles it is working as designed.

So many things to consider, from coolant condition to operation of your factory electric fan. If the car feels lethargic all the time you need to run codes, it could have a bad knock sensor.
Depending where you look on the internet the J30 has anywhere from 210 to 222hp, @ 3580 lbs, they run decent but are not going to be setting records.

I currently have or have owned (4) J30s and (3) 1990-1995 Q45, one 1990 300zx, and have (6) VG30DE engines of varying state of disassembly on shelf. Over the years have had a couple hundred random cars, currently have over 30 various cars and trucks, not to mention I am a master mechanic who is actively campaigning a J30 based endurance road race car for 6 years.

I got one for ya, buying a new clutch (to replace one that is properly cycling) will only increase drag/noise as it is tighter then a used clutch. ;)

J30boy31

J30tChumpCar wrote:
J30boy31 wrote: Do you own a j30 and it does the samething? I just feel the car feels like its lacking power when the fan is constantly roaring and i owned 2 of these cars years ago but dont recall the fan roaring but im not 100% since it was long ago.

Does the fan take HP? Absolutely! That is why there is a thermostatically controlled fan clutch.
When its roaring its cooling, if its stuck that way there is a problem, when it cycles it is working as designed.

So many things to consider, from coolant condition to operation of your factory electric fan. If the car feels lethargic all the time you need to run codes, it could have a bad knock sensor.
Depending where you look on the internet the J30 has anywhere from 210 to 222hp, @ 3580 lbs, they run decent but are not going to be setting records.

I currently have or have owned (4) J30s and (3) 1990-1995 Q45, one 1990 300zx, and have (6) VG30DE engines of varying state of disassembly on shelf. Over the years have had a couple hundred random cars, currently have over 30 various cars and trucks, not to mention I am a master mechanic who is actively campaigning a J30 based endurance road race car for 6 years.

I got one for ya, buying a new clutch (to replace one that is properly cycling) will only increase drag/noise as it is tighter then a used clutch. ;)
Ok can you help me with another issue? When i press the brake pedal to stop and the car is fully warmed up the idle drops to like 580-600 and the car hesistates what can that be?

J30tChumpCar

Have you run codes yet?

J30boy31

There is no check engine light on

J30tChumpCar

As a starting point you still need to run codes

J30boy31

J30tChumpCar wrote:As a starting point you still need to run codes
How do i run codes?

J30tChumpCar

Check the J30 stickies ;)

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”