Does size matter? KA-T Questions

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Fenris
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX
1989 Nissan 240SX

Question 1:
My understanding of turbos is minimal at best. But before i make a bad decision i would like some opinions.

I have a KA24E that was rebuilt 20k ago.
I feel it is strong enough to accept boost, but i plan on going SR at some point likely in the next year or two.

I can get a "Garrett t3 .42 ar" at no cost to me, and this had me consider having the last of my pre-swap time as a KA-T.

From what i understand the .42 AR means its small, but what does that mean to me? I don't plan on pushing too much power through, just a small bump in power.
I think it may have come from a Volvo or Saab at some point in its life.

My goals: 170-200 HP at the wheels or crank. ~5 PSI of boost (When assuming 8hp/psi) would put me at 180hp (assuming i am getting the stock 140 out of my KA)

I also sort of want to run the most basic turbo setup possible.

------------------------------------
2nd Question:

So based on:
Basic KA-T setup (180-220whp)
Required:
T25-T28 sized turbo
Turbo Manifold (JGS?)
rrfpr (8:1?)
oil line kit
some sort of wastegate (if turbo isn't internally gated)

Suggested:
Everything in required, plus-
FMIC
upgraded clutch
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
370cc injectors + SAFC
Blow off valve
exhaust
Heat shielding for the turbo or brake master cylinder resevoir
Would this really be all i need?
What would i need for management on this build?
How important is intercooling on low boost applications? As i know not all turbo vehicles are inter-cooled.

Fenris
Car: 2011 Subaru WRX
1989 Nissan 240SX

Y U No Reply?

Ekinchheng
Car: 93 240sx Coupe

I would at least get a ecu tune to be on the safe side and a maf. if the turbo is free why not just use it and see how it turns out. if anything you could just get another turbo.

Spring Break '92
Car: S13 Chuki

From what I remember, tuning sohc ecus can be doable but there is some roadblock, cant remember what it is. If you are going to do an SR swap, get your free turbo and use it on the SR. The smaller AR number will limit higher rpm power but spool faster making it a more ideal match for the 2.0 SR. Honestly I have never heard of a T3/T4 with that small of an AR. Even my T28 has a .64 AR.

neverlift

because you know little about t3's...
its one if not the most common ar size for stock t3 cars...oh and that .42 is larger than your .64 btw

its fine for your ka24e.
The u12 ecu(ka24e) is basically limitless(injector size) and can be converted to map...An s14 ecu is the road block in eccs tuning last I heard, not the simple 8bit ecus..

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The A/R is the area/radius ratio. It is not the size of the turbo; it is the size of the nozzle. Turbo sizes are dictated by the family of compressor/turbine wheels used. The A/R is a relevant spec, but it is used to change how a turbine or compressor responds to the given airflow parameters of the motor. To be more specific, the A/R is the area of the nozzle's cross section divided by the area of the center of the nozzle from the center-line of the turbo shaft. Most manufacturers keep the radius for a given turbine/compressor family constant though, so it is effectively referring to the area of the nozzle. Also, since larger diameter wheels will require a larger radius, you can't directly compare A/R ratios across different turbos. A t3 and T4 turbine wheel can both have the exact same A/R, but the turbos are going to behave very differently simply because the parameters of each wheel are different.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”