Does my suspension camber/toe need adjustment? Pls look at figures

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
lida
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 6MT

Just got '06 G35 a month ago. My front tires were completely worn down bald and the rear ones were still decent. All replaced.

Please look at the figures and tell me if the suspension is out of whack. I know the G35 has some more than usual angle to the tires.

BTW I took it to a place that specializes in Japanese cars. And the roads in my town suck.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

After scratching my head a bit, I just re-read that all. You got a used car. You got an inspection. Props! You seem to have stumbled upon a good and thorough shop. Bonus! I read through their findings and agree with all of their recommendations. The manufacturers recommendations are always good, but can feel excessive if you bought a car out of your price range. The previous owner didn't take very good care of the car it seems. You will be spending money on your car to get it up to speed with maintenance. Start a budget for yourself. When you get X dollars available, do a repair. Try to group things together. Like get the new strut assemblies for the front along with the steering boots and control arm parts, then get the alignment once. Talk with your shop guys to discuss the priority of your repairs. I'm not sure why they want to change to adjustable arms, unless your car has been wrecked and bent out of shape. myabe they don't like bushing work. Can't blame them. You may decide that worn bushing don't bother you and less than stiff shocks don't really matter either. Then you might just go straight to an alignment. Good that you got your tires done. BTW - the alignment machine is calling out tolerances for your specific vehicle, so if it says it's out of spec, it is. You can feel free to double check those tolerances in your FSM, which can be downloaded here: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/infini ... nuals.html

lida

Ok now I got a price quote on doing the work they said it needs.

Please find the breakdown listed below, these prices are all inclusive (tax, supplies, labor, etc.) to include our two (2) year 24K mile warranty for work done in our shop.

Removing and replacing the front right and left upper control arms with new (adjustable)… $1430
Removing and replacing front right and left lower control arms with ball joints and compression arms with new… $1500

Does this seem out of whack?

centralcoaster33

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this partial information. Did you get an alignment or did you just get an inspection of your alignment? Why aren't they offering OEM style replacements? Was your car in a pretty bad wreck and the chassis is bent, so OEM isn't enough adjustment to compensate anymore? Or maybe you are telling them you're a race car driver and need nothing less than spherical joints and adjustable everything? Where's the rest of that quote breakdown data? 3k is expensive for somethings and a fair price for other things, but you don't list those things. New... new what? I'd want upper and lower arms and the shocks done all at the same time, then one alignment. None of that piece-meal stuff. Do you get reduced prices for combining tasks?

lida

I had an inspection and they recommended the above. I don't know why they wanted adjustable stuff.

centralcoaster33

Oh, well it seems a bit pricey, but there's a good amount of work involved and I think you're getting new parts. So, if the parts plus labor is near 3 grand (what's their rate, $100 per hour?) I would hope they were some name brand things being put on there. Personally, I would look into putting the parts on myself, then have them do all the alignment stuff.

Maybe I should take a step back here. Can you just get an alignment for now? Even with the worn bushings? Lot's of people do that. If your car wasn't wrecked and bent, I'd think you could get a much better alignment than what those numbers show. I'm not sure why all this repair is being sold as a needs to be done soon sort of thing. Sure, the alignment wouldn't be as great as if you had all new suspension, but it would be as good as any other 2006 car... which is pretty good and should be at least within tolerance.

raremotive
Car: 04 G35

Lots of pictures of paper work and no pictures of car or tires. =/

Tires: People need to realize tires are good for 2 to 3 years on these cars especially on 200 compound tires. Normal tires are 4 to 5, people who go longer are a danger to themselves and others near the road. (rip Paul Walker, 9 year old tires)

The thing is camber is a factory set item. It's generally hard for them to be changed, aside from worn bushings. Adjustable upper arms should be something you want, as in you want to trade some of the factory intended handling for a little bit more tire life and a tiny mpg boost. If your camber is out of wack, it's likely time to replace bushings to bring it back to factory spec.

This is camber wear..

Notice that the inside tire is worn more than the outside, but not by much. The tire life is shortened, but by not very much. (This example is from our cars)

I do recommend fixing toe .. absolutely. This is adjustable and can be fixed.

This is toe wear:

Notice the inside is shredded. An improper toe will destroy the tire in short time.

I do recommend if your bushings/ball joints are worn, replace them.

I would definitely spend the time to look over the car and look at the parts they are claiming is worn. It also never hurts to go to another reputable shop to see what their inspection says. Our suspension system isn't unique my daily Ford Fusion has essentially the same design, actually many cars do. Shop around and compare prices.

Finally. Yes. Those prices are terrible.

lida

Yeah sorry I changed out the tires shortly after. I appreciate the writeup, I'll take it to another guy I know.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”