does my sr20 need rebuild?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Dad Drift
Car: s13

hello I am new here I posted this on another forum few days ago with no replies so hopefully I get some replies here
sr20 notchtop stock besides exhaust, fmic.
I'm not sure whats going on with my sr20det. Ever since I got it over 4 years ago its had low vacuum about 14-15 inhg its not the gauge I tried 3 different ones. So about a year ago I started to look into it I did a compression test I got around 120 all across. This was done on a cold block without opening the throttle which I didn't read the fsm than and didn't know. I also did a boost leak test had no leaks but I did hear air hissing out of pvc and dip stick tube. I had no clue what that meant at the time until few days ago I read an article that said if air is hissing out of dip stick and pvc than piston rings are worn or cylinder walls. So right after I read that I went and got a cylinder leak down tester and it was %20 all across which is ok right? Now im like WTF is going on is the sr good or needs rebuild? I am currently gathering parts to go more boost gtx2867 but it would be pointless to throw more boost at a worn engine any sr20 experts here know if this engine is ok.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

I don't know the SR very well. I'm pretty sure we have an FSM for the engines at least... and the rest for the S13 if it was a 240sx. I'd look in there and see what they have for diagnoses and such. Your 20% could be out of spec, so I'd check the FSM. Here's a link to where to look around. Some are broken up into chapters to manage file size. All can be downloaded to your device. Some guys here have the SR so maybe they can pipe in if they see this thread.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan ... nuals.html

Dad Drift
Car: s13

Thank you.

I have all the service manuals but it only shows compression minimum of 128 psi my came out to 120 but this is probably due to cold engine test and not opening the throttle. I didn't see anything on the cylinder leak down. I've read that race engines are in 0-10% leak down standard engine up to 30%. 30% seems high. I would love to rebuild my engine but the timing is just terrible. I would hope to make it all year on gtx28 15psi top this is my drift car it'll see maybe 5 to 7 events. I would be even more bummed if I damage it even more.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”