Does Infiniti have a WARANTY? IF so, then what gives?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
hbflyer
Car: FX35

I am a proud owner of an FX 35. The car began to exhibit some smoke so we took it bank to Key Infiniti. Service was a bit slow, and we had to do the follow ups but no big deal.

Not all the parts were in, so they changed the oil, put some fuel injector cleaner in, gave us the car and let us konw they'd get back to us when the parts were in. So we drove off.

A week later (no parts) and the car began to make engine noise. We stopped immediately, checked the oil (not much), called the dealer, got roadside to tow the car in and were told we need a new engine!

A week later we received a request for our service records. Took a while to supply them, sent them in and now what. Weeks after receiving the records requested and numerous calls we have no idea what Nissan/Infiniti is doing regarding our car.

Neither our efforts or that of Key Infiniti has been able to get a straight answer. First it was that Infiniti couldn't find the records, so Key resubmitted them multiple times, then they began some research and now its simply they have no answer.

One needs to wonder how a realitively new car with 40K miles on it blows an engine. I have to say, I was not expecting a CYA menality from the company. I thought they stood behind their product.

Does anyone have insight as to how I can get some movement?

GixxerSteve
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX35, 2003 Infiniti G35

Wow, that sucks. I'll be honest that I expected the trouble to have come from your dealership, not Infiniti. But nothing surprises me when it comes to warranty work on major parts. I've heard several stories about dealerships and/or Infiniti USA trying to blame the owner for a failed transmission or engine. The problem of oil consumption was frequent on the 45's, but not on the 35's. Yours is a rare case.

I'm interested to know, did you have all the service done at Infiniti? Or if not, do you have ALL of the service records? Its fairly obvious that the dealership and/or Infiniti is/are dragging their feet on the warranty claim, hoping to find something to blame you for. You just need to keep on them, and perhaps get an attorney involved. And I surely hope they gave you a loaner vehicle until they get it fixed!!!

hbflyer

I didn't feel a need to use Infiniti for my servicing. Yes we presented most of the service receipts and they called the establishments to verify.

From the beginning, we felt that the focus from Infiniti was how do they get out of it and not how do we take care of the customer. Three weeks passed and the dealer made multiple attempts to get the Warranty Department to acknowledge receipt of the information. Out of frustration, I spoke to Consumer Affairs only to be told that Warranty needed to do their due diligence.

The dealership has indicated that on major repairs, they are powerless to make any decisions and that Infiniti Warranty must make the decision. Unfortunately, no one seems to care about the customer.

On Monday, I will reluctantly have to engage a lawyer to try to get some action. I will post my results as they develop.

hbflyer

INFINITI REQUESTS ENGINE TEARDOWN BEFORE THEY WARRANT THE ENGINE!

Today, I received a call requesting permission to tear down the engine. The Warranty Department wants the Dealer to determine cause of failure before they commit to warranting the engine.

I have to agree that if its determined to not be a manufacturer's defect, I will pay for the teardown.

Absolutely INSANE!

WOOSSH
Car: Yes

If it were me, I would contact your state's Attorney Generals Office. Ti=his is tg=he kind of thing they are for.

Here in Texas Ford offered 0% financing. A friend called all dealerships in our area nad all said they were not participating. She finally called Ford and they said it was up to the dealers. She said she would see what the AG had to say and recieved offers from all dealerships that were not particitating the next day.

"First you gotta get their attention" said the mule driver who just hit his mules with a board.

hbflyer

Thanks for the Advice. I will look into the South Carolina AG's Office tomorrow.

In my last post, I ended by calling it insane. I had no idea what was coming.

After 6 weeks of inactivity and corporate irresponsibility, the moment I refused to pay for a teardown, they demanded their car back or they would report it stolen and have me arrested! I actually have it on tape! When we go to get the car, they had already torn it down! and my mechanic found no oil in it even though Key Infiniti was the last to service it.

They had a box with parts, with some still on the engine loose, we had bolts in the interior console, grease all over the driver's door. What a mess.

My mechanic noted the sludge and was not overly impressed with the amount. He noted that sometimes synthethic mixed with regular oil can cause sludge. Because Key Infiniti doesn't have the best service reputation, he is going to put it back together and determine the real problem. His concern is that if they didn't fill it with oil there's no telling what if anything is wrong with the engine.

We took plenty of digital pictures, have filed a complaint with the BBB Auto-Line and will get the car operational by next week.

BTW; Infiniti Consumer Affairs is a joke and really a waste of time.

MJW7800

i hope you get it figured out,,i always dont trust dealerships,,but my local infinti on ehas been good to me so far

hbflyer

I guess this falls into the Buyer Beware catagory.

Many were excited that Key Infiniti (supposedly backed by Ken Griffy Jr.) was coming to our area. They have a place called the New River Auto Mall with Nissan, Infiniti, Porsche and a couple of others.

Very helpful with sales. Seems to be absent when they held the service class.

My mechanic called to tell me that they did not include the gaskets in th box of goodies, so we won't know the extent of the damage, if any until tomorrow.

I have thought about taking an ad out in our local paper or better yet buying a bill board. Just need to figure out what I would tell the public that would be informative vs. you know
Modified by hbflyer at 5:11 AM 11/10/2007

hbflyer

PLEASE READ THIS CONCLUSION:

My independent mechanic put the engine back together, added oil that was missing from the "Infiniti Oil Change" and started the car with no problem what so ever!

Key Infiniti, told me it needed a new engine.

The Warranty Department spent (six) weeks covering their A$$'s, making me run around getting receipts that they then didn't want to accept, finally asking to tear apart my engine in order to find something wrong so they wouldn't have to pay for a new engine.

Consumer Affairs was completely inept in representing the customer, ultimately failing/refusing to return calls.

And finally the dealer, Key Infiniti, whose brilliant "rent-a-mechanic" didn't pay attention to the lack of oil in the car after they were the ones to change it, didn't put two and two together, starting this fiasco by declaring the engine unservicable!

So, I now have my car back, no thanks to Key Infiniti. Put back together by a competent mechanic, with nothing wrong with the exception that the Infiniti oil change was missing enough oil to safely run the car.

I sit here in wonderment as to how a company with such a great vehicle could have so many hacks working for them and dealers that don't even know their own car?

There is still no resolution to the initial question; "Does Infiniti have a Warranty?" The book says that you have to show proof of maintaining the car. WE DID. They called the various service centers, questioned them and they could not come up with an answer. The warranty does not (to my knowledge) suggest that Infiniti can take your car apart to determine cause of failure before they warrant their product. Yet that's exactly what they wanted me to agree to.

Now that it's been determined to be Infiniti Mechanic Error as the cause of this whole thing and not a bad engine, it is imperative that anyone having a beef with an Infiniti Dealer service or Infiniti themselves file a complaint with the BBB and their Attorney General's office. Nissan has a Luxury Division that just doesn't get it.
Modified by hbflyer at 4:09 AM 11/14/2007

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Your warranty document has a requirement that YOU MAINTAIN all lubricant and other fluid levels. YOU are responsible if YOU let them operate below normal full.

My point is you must take responsibility to check these levels after servicing even from a dealers service department.

It is not common but occurs that dealerships and others do not refill properly or leave a drain loose or filter loose.

See Nissan knew something else was wrong, why they were resistive. They deal with these kinds of problems DAILY. You can bet with 1 million in annual sales and 3-5 million under warranty that low oil problems are a major factor.................a few dozen per day.

Q45tech

I didn't feel a need to use Infiniti for my servicing. Yes we presented most of the service receipts and they called the establishments to verify.

Your warranty document requires that you have legal proof OF EVERY 7500 miles or 180 day oil change not some but every

hbflyer

Q45tech:

Luckily, the oil level or my maintaining a given oil level is not at issue, either by Infiniti or myself.

Additionally, I have all the documentation to support my position and responsibility for proper and legal maintenance of the vehicle.

Facts are simple:1. Infiniti was the last to service vehicle2. Infiniti declared engine was inoperable and needed to be replaced.3. Infinti began to tear down my engine and after the fact requested my permission along with me accepting responsibility for the tear down should they not warrant the engine. Permission that I refused to give and therefore they refused to warrant the engine.4. An independent mechanic reassembled the engine (Infiniti did not return all parts), started engine and it has been running smoothly for 1200 miles, negating Infiniti's initial analysis.5. There remains an occassional puff of smoke on engine start up which is the original reason I brought the car to Infiniti.

My original question remains. Will they or won't they live up to their legal responsibility to provide warranty?

If Nissan wants to be in the big leagues then they need to act accordingly. All I've seen is a major CYA right from the beginning. An incredible lack of professionalism and ineptitude.

hbflyer

I have never dealt with the Better Business Bureau but first impressions are excellent.

After months of sorry excuses, the BBB stepped in, requested documentation and arranged for my first (recorded) teleconference with Infiniti Representative. This conversation was professional, he listened, asked a few questions and promised to get back to me by the middle of next week.

Again, I reiterated that I want Infiniti/Nissan to accept the responsibility they commited to!

Stay Tuned...

Q45tech

You seem to be confusing an independent Infiniti dealer with the Corporate Infiniti division of Nissan.

My point is dealerships are totally independent business who just happen to sell Infiniti and have a repair shop which repairs them. The dealership has a contract with Infiniti to get reimbursed for warranty work if Infiniti approves each warranty item. If Nissan tells them they won't pay then they charge you. UNLESS you can prove that the dealership caused the problem.

Never assume that a dealership is speaking for Infiniti and escalate your written conversations to the legal party that is actually providing the warranty.

Common for Nissan to ask owners to agrre to tear down if failure mode has a chance of being caused by owner or even dealership.

They owe it to shareholders to protect the corporation from owner induced problems.

As an independent group of shops [not a dealer] we see so many cars come in with low oil and other fluid levels..............owners don't check liquid levels often if at all. We end up replacing a significant number of Lexus and Infiniti [primarily V6] engines destroyed by owner neglect.

hbflyer

With all due respect, I don't think I'm confusing anything with anything else. It is the Infiniti Warranty Department that I am fighting. This owner happens to check oil and did so the morning before service at the local Sunoco where we buy gas.

It's the Infiniti Warranty Department that asked for proof and received it. It's the Infiniti Warranty Department that called the places where I received service.

I am now using the BBB mediation service working with an Infiniti Liason, who informed me yesterday that he needed to follow up with the places that serviced my vehicle before he could deal with the Warranty Department.

You need to remember, they said the car engine was toast...Just not so. I have driven the vehicle for 1300 miles since I had it rebuilt.

It's almost as if Infiniti has a Warranty Avoidance Department.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”